Stargazer

Mánibranðr Studios

This is a really nice piece. It has a very spacy/ethereal atmosphere, with good combination of 'build up' (especially with the pulsing bass) and 'release' sections. My only comment would be that most of the sounds feel like they've had the top end rolled off; some of the more open sections might benefit from having some 'sparkly' sounds/percussions.

In any case, I do like the synths in this composition - which one/s did you use?

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 11:00 PM, antler said:

This is a really nice piece. It has a very spacy/ethereal atmosphere, with good combination of 'build up' (especially with the pulsing bass) and 'release' sections. My only comment would be that most of the sounds feel like they've had the top end rolled off; some of the more open sections might benefit from having some 'sparkly' sounds/percussions.

In any case, I do like the synths in this composition - which one/s did you use?

On 1/26/2020 at 12:17 AM, garybrun said:

Nice job.

On my monitors it sounds a little flat.
As one poster has pointed out there doesnt  seem to be much top end.
You dont happen to have a highpass filter enabled on mixdown on some tracks?

I think it's just how the synths are, I tried bumping up the high end of some of them. I used the Labs Soft Piano, Labs Modular Piano, Kontakt Factory Upright, Palette Synth for the Bass Pulses, City of the Lost from Arturia Pigments 2, Performance Samples Solo Legato Violin, 8Dioboe, Auddict Celestial Voices and Strum GS-2 with the U Rock preset from the Pop Rocks soundbank. 

1026770181_ss(2020-01-25at07_50.52).thumb.png.e65343aeca33f30a6dc9f6e1fe8c6652.png

Well I'd say it has it's own sound, like a sonic signature. Do you have a limiter on the master bus? If so, and if it's cranked a bit, back off on that to get some dynamics back. ? Weirdly though, those high violins sound clear, and the synthbass is there yet controlled. It does sound to me like there is a compressor or limiter somewhere that could be taken down just a hair.

Aside from that, it's very inventive in the composition department, and tells of an interesting album to come. Nice work!

-Tom

• Like 2

So the artwork, this is the character Isabel Merton? Not sure I hear “slowly coming to terms with killing her estranged brother”, but not having the full context... I must say the tune stands on its own just fine, held me for the full six minutes; well done. Looking forward to more of the story. 

t

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 5:16 AM, emeraldsoul said:

Well I'd say it has it's own sound, like a sonic signature. Do you have a limiter on the master bus? If so, and if it's cranked a bit, back off on that to get some dynamics back. ? Weirdly though, those high violins sound clear, and the synthbass is there yet controlled. It does sound to me like there is a compressor or limiter somewhere that could be taken down just a hair.

Aside from that, it's very inventive in the composition department, and tells of an interesting album to come. Nice work!

-Tom

The limiting is very controlled, and not even close to hitting the ceiling. I did gain-staging so that the PC76 U Compressor is doing at most 2 dB of GR.

As for the artwork, it's just the default avatar that's being used, since I don't have anything really fitting to use. However, this is Isabel
787924136_IsabelMerton2.thumb.png.5f4718b5c6912fa0e2ccaac31035e854.png

Edited by Freyja Grimaude-Valens