2010 research article i found interesting

Gswitz

I've not yet read the full paper, but the abstract seems to say that "16 people with good hearing have good hearing".

They don't seem to have bothered with a control group, which makes me worry about the rest of their methodology ... the first paragraph of their procedure (2.3) suggests they have zero idea of what a random double blind test is, or if they do, they wouldn't bother with it in this experiment.

I just spotted this little gem "At this individual level, three expert listeners out of 16 obtained significant results ... However, they significantly selected the wrong answer " ... so we will just ignore those results. 

Oh deary me ...

• Like 1

I see your  point.  For the longest time I recorded at 24/48. I still do. I usually export at 16/44.1> high resolution mp3 for anything that goes on the web. This was only because my interface at the time was locked to that as the highest sample rate I could record. If the final product is going to use mp3 compression, then for me the real question is, Is there any advantage to down sampling a file that will eventually wind up as an mp3?  Many who export don't bother with the in between wav file and instead  simply export directly to mp3. A higher rez mp3  at 256 is better than a low rez 128 mp3.

It probably all hair on a knats back from that perspective. I could be wrong, but I think using higher resolution compression makes more difference than down conversion of samples.

That information and a cup of coffee will get you........................a cup of coffee