What new updates would you like to see in 2020 to Cakewalk - CLOSED.

Will.

1 hour ago, Nelson Guimaraes MIDIS said:

- provide an arpeggiator midi plugin with "composable" arpeggios (like bass patterns, steel guitar rhythmic patterns, etc)

I remember, in the middle ages of cakewalk like the 90-ties and Cakewalk Pro Audio X, there was a sequence player that utilized standard MIDI files. You could build your own midi files database and create songs with it very quickly, pretty useful. It disappeared later shortly.

• Thanks 1

Just had a friend show me Beat Mapping in Logic. @Roland-Music brought this up in page 8 of this thread.

Absolutely get inspired by Logic's Beat mapping. This would be awesome. And as I mentioned in another feature thread I made, tying the beat mapping to an arranger section (as opposed to just a marker) would be wonderful too. 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:26 PM, wetdentist said:

i would like the Matrix to be WAY more developed.  it kinda seems like an unfinished project

I agree e.g. the ability to edit midi in the piano roll and edit other parameters while something is playing would allow a similar workflow to the ableton session view and shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 6:13 AM, Bill Campbell said:

I wish the 'Record Count In' had an ON/OFF check box and that on off functionality could be bound to a key in key bindings.  For now you have to go into 'Edit/Preferences/Metronome' set it to "2" then go back in set it back to "0" etc...  Seems like a small ask...

I assume you know this already but you can click on metronome settings button in the transport module in control bar right under metronome during record button or right click on any of the three metronome buttons to quickly bring up the properties window.

Chiming in on @user6808463577169165's post, the image he posted of the Studio One example may be too bright but I understand exactly what he's asking for because I've wanted the same thing for some time now.

Below should be a better example/demonstration of what we're requesting. It's basically the same but much easier our precious retinas.

504844001_CakewalkClipColor-Before.thumb.jpg.e99b6431b96732517c1247af1ae6ece8.jpg1602516589_CakewalkClipColor-After.thumb.jpg.0580850967845266e019661f98b0bf20.jpg

• Great Idea 1

On 7/29/2020 at 12:07 PM, Jakub Maggi Malášek said:

True Mono External insert.

Agree with this 100%. As it stands, 4 free i/o on my interface is only allowing me to run 2 mono compressors, when ideally it should allow 4.

Also fix the bus solo error when using external inserts. When mixing with external inserts, solo'ing any bus doesn't work and it's impractical. 

Sadly, I think  anything to do with the external insert plugin will be a low priority for the team.  

Edited by Light Grenade
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 12:26 PM, wetdentist said:

i would like the Matrix to be WAY more developed.  it kinda seems like an unfinished project

I didnt realise this was needed until I started using the matrix more and more. I think this would be a great request for sure. I even made a video using matrix like an MPC.. 

Custom Instrument Maps of Patches, for VSTi's, so patches could be searched and selected by name, instead of archaic bank numbers and patch numbers.

I have already created a thread on the following request, and other people have posted this feature would also be a more than welcome addition.

PS: I need to post my own image, as the image shown is from a post of another user, that from memory goes a little OT.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, chris.r said:

I assume you know this already but you can click on metronome settings button in the transport module in control bar right under metronome during record button or right click on any of the three metronome buttons to quickly bring up the properties window.

On 8/24/2020 at 12:45 PM, Martin Hooper said:

You might find this one interesting...

On 8/13/2020 at 12:06 PM, chris.r said:

Yeah, I know...   I'm lazy...  I want to just hit the F3 key and turn the count-in off then on...   etc....

Edited by Bill Campbell

I think it's been said before in this thread: these are great ideas.

However, posting them all in one big thread both lessens the impact that they might have on the people who need to see them most (the developers) and makes it difficult for other people to comment on and maybe expand or refine your ideas.

This entire subforum was created for posting these, so there's no reason to out them in one huge hard to follow thread.

The developers read the forum and gauge the popularity of new features by the enthusiasm shown.  That's harder to do in a 10-page thread. Some the best ones in here aren't even getting single Likes.

Great idea=new thread! Please!😍

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

• 1 year later...
On 7/25/2020 at 6:40 AM, Adam Frechette said:
  1. Add the ability to bind a new key to insert a synth track - the only way I have found besides the synth rack or menu options is by the preset binding SHIFT+Insert
  2. Add the ability to global bind the mod wheel with the ACT or CWGS control surfaces - if there is one I haven't found it. I had to use MIDI-Ox to data map it. Seems like it would be a relatively simple thing to add.
  3. Add a lot more options in both the ACT and the Cakewalk Generic Surface controllers to allow more binding of buttons.  A solution to this would be prompting for the amount of knobs, faders and buttons the user wants. An APC Mini is a perfect example of a common surface controller with a ton of buttons.
  4. Enable actual stacking of instances of ACT and CWGS controllers, and not sharing the same presets. 
  5. Add the ability to lock a synth windows size even if you expand options within it (Looking at you Kontakt)
  6. Add the ability to view a staff in multiline page format, and in single line format - instead of only single line format.
  7. Make it so when you open a tab and resize it the tab stays that size. Make tabs size independent! If nothing else please just keep it full size. Also when you bind a key to open a tab in multidock,  make it multi functional - double pressing it can expand and shrink the tab window to its previous size.
  8. A way to keybind DOTTED and TRIPLET instead of wasting a ton of hotkeys. For instance if you want quick access to all versions of a whole note, it would require 3 different keybindings. To keybind all notes up to a 32nd would require 18 keybinds. Whereas if you implemented this it would only require 8, six keybinds for the whole through 32nd notes and two for the DOTTED and TRIPLET modifier keys.

I want to use the APC mini too. Thanks for your points!

• Confused 1

On 8/16/2020 at 2:27 PM, Daryl L. Samuel said:

Chiming in on @user6808463577169165's post, the image he posted of the Studio One example may be too bright but I understand exactly what he's asking for because I've wanted the same thing for some time now.

Below should be a better example/demonstration of what we're requesting. It's basically the same but much easier our precious retinas.

Default track color backgrounds & foregrounds can be set in Theme Editor. When clips are recorded, updated, or bounced, they retain the colors you set.

Inspector method of changing clip colors is only a tease as they can't be retained after editing. Once upon a time clip backgrounds were in Preferences but were removed for some reason.

Edited by sjoens