What new updates would you like to see in 2020 to Cakewalk - CLOSED.

Will.

3 hours ago, Roland-Music said:

Beat Mapping:  For Film scoring you set Hitpoints  Markers and these must map to a Up- or Downbeat. The Markers are Lock to SMPTE time.
Create a Tempo Curve from Measure X to Measure Y with Density 1/x.  ( --> Project - Set/Measure Beat At Now with Tempo Curve)

That 'Create a Tempo Curve' is brilliant idea! Another handy tempo feature I'd gladly welcome is to smooth-out the changes. I recently created tempo map from a loosely played strummed guitar, using 'Set Measure/Beat at Now' on every beat. Turned out the changes were all over the place, they kinda stuck close to the target tempo but was constantly up and down. Any tempo based effects did literally freak out just each next beat.

The proper smoothing-out in my understanding would calculate a perfect (average/balanced) curve from all the changes, denying the need of wonky tempo jumps every beat :) 

On 2/25/2020 at 9:51 PM, Starship Krupa said:

++++Clip++++

Next, setting up Drum Maps could be made a lot easier and more intuitive with some menu additions, documentation additions and maybe wording changes.

(For instance, there is currently no way to start the process of applying a Drum Map from the PRV Drum Pane. Once the user has called up the Drum Pane in the Piano Roll, they must leave it to go to a MIDI Channel Strip or Preferences to invoke the Drum Map Manager, then go back to the MIDI Channel Strip and apply the Drum Map. There is no indication in the program, no prompts telling them they must do this, they just have to know it. The documentation does not lay out a step-by-step process.

There should at least be a menu item in the PRV for "Drum Map Manager" when the Drum Pane is showing and a right click menu item in the Drum Pane for "Drum Map Manager." In lieu of a larger overhaul of the Drum Map, a "wizard" or prompts or something similar could help. There could be tooltip help in the Drum Pane or in the Drum Map Manager indicating the user's next step. As it stands, the user is "stranded" at a few points along the way.

It literally took me months before I got the process "down" to the point where I could start from scratch and get a drum map to work right away, reasonably understanding what I was doing at each step. It pains me to say it, but more than one promising beat got lost while I was flailing about trying to set Cakewalk up for drum editing. Beats are important, yo.)

++++clip+++++

Why isn't the Drum map editor not built into the PRV? You could click a plus sign by the notes track(Piano Key) to expand the info from the drum map and be able the edit it there. 

Have you ever just wanted to rename the drum map instrument name in the PRV?

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1. Add the ability to bind a new key to insert a synth track - the only way I have found besides the synth rack or menu options is by the preset binding SHIFT+Insert
  2. Add the ability to global bind the mod wheel with the ACT or CWGS control surfaces - if there is one I haven't found it. I had to use MIDI-Ox to data map it. Seems like it would be a relatively simple thing to add.
  3. Add a lot more options in both the ACT and the Cakewalk Generic Surface controllers to allow more binding of buttons.  A solution to this would be prompting for the amount of knobs, faders and buttons the user wants. An APC Mini is a perfect example of a common surface controller with a ton of buttons.
  4. Enable actual stacking of instances of ACT and CWGS controllers, and not sharing the same presets. 
  5. Add the ability to lock a synth windows size even if you expand options within it (Looking at you Kontakt)
  6. Add the ability to view a staff in multiline page format, and in single line format - instead of only single line format.
  7. Make it so when you open a tab and resize it the tab stays that size. Make tabs size independent! If nothing else please just keep it full size. Also when you bind a key to open a tab in multidock,  make it multi functional - double pressing it can expand and shrink the tab window to its previous size.
  8. A way to keybind DOTTED and TRIPLET instead of wasting a ton of hotkeys. For instance if you want quick access to all versions of a whole note, it would require 3 different keybindings. To keybind all notes up to a 32nd would require 18 keybinds. Whereas if you implemented this it would only require 8, six keybinds for the whole through 32nd notes and two for the DOTTED and TRIPLET modifier keys.
Edited by Adam Frechette
  • Thanks 1

I love it that development is very active and many useful improvements are being made :) . And that input is being solicited.

Volumes have been written by others about the Drum Map (Manager). I share a lot of the negative reactions.

I would propose a very simple improvement for a common and annoying issue (for me). My projects always use a VST for drums. The "output port (number)" of the drums changes from project to project. It is painful to re-edit the "output port (number)" for dozens of notes in Addictive Drums. Once this has been done, of course it is possible, not convenient, to save map copies with every possible port number.

Wouldn't it be reasonable to add a button to the Drum Map Manager like: "Change all output ports to X"?

Alternatively, in PRV: "Load note names from <some-text-file>". Adding definitions to a massive Master.ins file is not a convenient workaround.

10 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Why isn't the Drum map editor not built into the PRV? You could click a plus sign by the notes track(Piano Key) to expand the info from the drum map and be able the edit it there. 

Wait a minute, let's not go crazy here!

1 hour ago, kmather741 said:

Wouldn't it be reasonable to add a button to the Drum Map Manager like: "Change all output ports to X"?

Hey, the beloved Drum Map Manager has its own somewhat idiosyncratic keystroke modifier to streamline this mass operation.

To change the Output Port for all rows with the same Channel/Port, press CTRL+SHIFT while changing the Port. Did I just add years to your life or what?

You can also use Ctrl to select multiple rows while you're toiling in the DMM.

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Wait a minute, let's not go crazy here!

Hey, the beloved Drum Map Manager has its own somewhat idiosyncratic keystroke modifier to streamline this mass operation.

To change the Output Port for all rows with the same Channel/Port, press CTRL+SHIFT while changing the Port. Did I just add years to your life or what?

You can also use Ctrl to select multiple rows while you're toiling in the DMM.

Years, no -I am familiar with CTRL+Shift. Have you never wanted to correct the name on a mislabeled note in PVR instead of going to the Drum Map manager? I the drum map manager does need some work, but I this quick edit from the PRV would be nice. I should save time.  Click a button by that key or note name and it could pull up one record from the Map manager for that note with cells for that record. Click the close button, then the window closes and the map manager is updated.  

Max Arwood

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

Click a button by that key or note name and it could pull up one record from the Map manager for that note with cells for that record. Click the close button, then the window closes and the map manager is updated.  

This is how it works today. Double-clicking on a row in Drum Grid Pane header opens the row in an editor.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 7:59 PM, scook said:

This is how it works today. Double-clicking on a row in Drum Grid Pane header opens the row in an editor.

I never knew this. I tried several times tonight. It didn’t work I thought. Why? The problem is - the map properties window was hidden below the prv all these years   ThIs window should float to the top of the prv right?  Fortunately it does stay where you put it. 
I had pictured it as a long column popping up below  the drum name. The window thing is fine. Thanks for the tip. 
Max Arwood 

On 7/21/2020 at 11:28 AM, Roland-Music said:

My TOP 3 Feature Requests are:

1. Beat Mapping:  For Film scoring you set Hitpoints  Markers and these must map to a Up- or Downbeat. The Markers are Lock to SMPTE time.
    Create a Tempo Curve from Measure X to Measure Y with Density 1/x.  ( --> Project - Set/Measure Beat At Now with Tempo Curve)

2020-06-16_beat.png

Screen-Shot-2018-03-11-at-6.42.02-PM.png

2. Articulation Keyswitch Map - see separate Topic here.
    https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/17232-feature-request-color-trigger-keyswitches-articulation-iss/

2020-06-14_20h49_15.png

3. Allow Users to create additional Info Tracks for:  Markers, Signature, Tempo and Beat mapping. The current Situation is visible confusing...

2020-07-17-Tracks.png.89185c5b284a262f5da844fe8cffe183.png

Brilliant ! And with automation lane on tempo it will be perfect :)

1- i want it more colorful and modern looks(like logic and studio one)

clips background color is black and even in inspector i change the background clips...when i record new clip its background is black

cakewalk should change default color of background of clips and put color changer near the name of track,,not in the inspector( like studio one)

with many tracks and clips..everything is black and ugly

col.png

2-seperate automation control for multichannel vst like omnisphere and kontakt( logic has this feature)

for these kind of vst ..if i want automate a feature of omnisphere channel B-C-D-E-F-G-H

there is no omnisphere option in automation and i should do it with ominsphere channel A

AUT.png

3- locate the send track under the original track...not in the bottom of the daw( like cubase)

doc.png

4- fix mp3 export bug( its bug because none of the daws doesnt have this problem)

as you see in the picture ..after i export my music in mp3 in doesnt sync with metronome and its begin with some latancy

2020-07-28_001956.png

Edited by user6808463577169165
its not obvious

1 hour ago, user6808463577169165 said:

clips background color is black and even in inspector i change the background clips...when i record new clip its background is black

cakewalk should change default color of background of clips and put color changer near the name of track,,not in the inspector( like studio one)

with many tracks and clips..everything is black and ugly

col.png

The example posted looks like an eyesore.  Can't stand looking at that for a couple seconds let alone the hours I spend in front of a mix.

28 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

The example posted looks like an eyesore.  Can't stand looking at that for a couple seconds let alone the hours I spend in front of a mix.

Tend to agree with Brian. Cakewalk is much more tender on eyes and it looks mighty more colorful now than before track colors was introduced. But I get the point that clips should have the color and not the waveforms and with cakewalk's saturation setting set to low it could look better.

2 hours ago, user6808463577169165 said:

Test of concept; just a sample; took less than 5 minutes.

image.thumb.png.2a62f72ac8b7e2fc0257aa18372f5537.png

UPDATE: Another color test:

image.thumb.png.34cdb11cef4118cc357710b6a9db3efb.png

Maybe you could try some combinations of background and foreground colors?  

CAVEAT: I am not endorsing these or hot/bold colors in general.  I am just brain dead from the heat and wanted a quick distraction.  People. adults, children, Cakewalk. colors.  😜 

Edited by User 905133
(2) to add a caveat and what I hope everyone will see as a non-offensive bit of humor; (1) to add a second test of concept
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Test of concept; just a sample; took less than 5 minutes.

image.thumb.png.2a62f72ac8b7e2fc0257aa18372f5537.png

UPDATE: Another color test:

image.thumb.png.34cdb11cef4118cc357710b6a9db3efb.png

Maybe you could try some combinations of background and foreground colors?  

CAVEAT: I am not endorsing these or hot/bold colors in general.  I am just brain dead from the heat and wanted a quick distraction.  People. adults, children, Cakewalk. colors.  😜 

the samples you've post are like sonar 8

how did you create that??

i change background clip( for example blue) but when i record a new clip ...the new clip color is black and when bounce them to one clip ...it gets black

actually i want black track color ( not purple pr green or etc) but clips background should be colorful and easy to colorize( like studio one)

we are musicians... not computer programmer to spend a lot of time to customize theme and colors in daw with  theme editor( i hate that)

everything  should be simple to create complex music...not complex feature that causes headache

11 hours ago, user6808463577169165 said:

the samples you've post are like sonar 8

how did you create that??

i change background clip( for example blue) but when i record a new clip ...the new clip color is black and when bounce them to one clip ...it gets black

actually i want black track color ( not purple pr green or etc) but clips background should be colorful and easy to colorize( like studio one)

we are musicians... not computer programmer to spend a lot of time to customize theme and colors in daw with  theme editor( i hate that)

everything  should be simple to create complex music...not complex feature that causes headache

Select your clip(s), uncheck "Use Track Colors" in the clip properties and set the Foreground (waveform) and Background colors:
e.g.:
image.thumb.png.c4d718156b97d52c9c25c27b6d206763.png

image.png.592bcb35ec6c72aeb8b83049508e1535.png

[Edit]  If you want your colors to default to more "vibrant" ones all the time, change the colors within Preferences:
image.png.9e6b0e1e54fe38a85853980826c86076.png

• Great Idea 1

10 hours ago, user6808463577169165 said:

I always endorse this principle

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 9:35 PM, msmcleod said:

Select your clip(s), uncheck "Use Track Colors" in the clip properties and set the Foreground (waveform) and Background colors:
e.g.:
image.thumb.png.c4d718156b97d52c9c25c27b6d206763.png

image.png.592bcb35ec6c72aeb8b83049508e1535.png

[Edit]  If you want your colors to default to more "vibrant" ones all the time, change the colors within Preferences:
image.png.9e6b0e1e54fe38a85853980826c86076.png

this method cannot solve the problem

its good when i finish composing and just want to listen that

not in the middle of composing...because as you see the new midi clips background is black

449435789_pic1.thumb.png.649f9f2d212872a00e0af8e5d981e123.png

and in the color section in the preference there is no default color changer for midi background (just foreground)

2020-07-29_144053.png.6a6c86be742aaaba4b19e408e8dd8383.png

and as i said in my previous post....we are musician and everything about daw appearance SHOULD BE very user friendly and colorful(like ableton-studio one-cubase-logic)

i hope a revolution will happen in bandlab and they improved cakewalk 

Edited by user6808463577169165
That was not good

CW 2020 is wonderful!

I would like to give some suggestions:

- assign certain arranger tracks to selected certain midi tracks or midi sessions. 

- provide FX chain also to midi effects

- provide an arpeggiator midi plugin with "composable" arpeggios (like bass patterns, steel guitar rhythmic patterns, etc)

- provide a linux version

I'm a SMF composer, and what you can do to  improve the midi composition will be great for me! Thanks for the update! I love CW!!! You're great! 

nelsonMidis

• Great Idea 1