What new updates would you like to see in 2020 to Cakewalk - CLOSED.

Will.

On 2/15/2020 at 9:14 AM, CosmicDolphin said:

1. Nested Folders please

Nested folders is my number one request, followed by the ability to import tracks from other Cakewalk files. If I had those two things I'd be quite content to work with Cakewalk for the rest of my life, unchanged.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Jeremy Jensen said:

Ā followed by the ability to import tracks from other Cakewalk files

You mean audio from another project ?

You can do that just by using per project audio folders ( which is now the default iirc ) and then browsing to the other projects audio folder and drag-Ā dropping what you need right into your current project.Ā  I do it quite often as I have to make tracks in the same genreĀ and it's easier to find certain sounds like a kick drum or a riser that worked well in a previous trackĀ for example.Ā  Way quicker than trawling through multiple folders in my sample drive.Ā 

Edited by CosmicDolphin

On 3/14/2020 at 6:09 PM, Jeremy Jensen said:

the ability to import tracks from other Cakewalk files

Another visit from Annoying It Can Already Do This Guy: if you go into Preferences/File/Advanced and uncheck Allow Only One Open Project At A Time, you'll be able to open the project you wish to import the tracks from. At that point, you should be able to just drag and drop tracks from the source project to the target project.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2020 at 12:31 PM, CosmicDolphin said:

Pro Channel Modules whilst built in are essentially just FX plugins and there's hundreds of 3rd party offeringsĀ around for those seeking more variety so why spend dev time on stuff that can easily be added by the user.

Remember that while at least initially the forum regulars skewed heavily toward Sonar Platinum refugees (like you, I believe), Cakewalk by BandLab only ships with the Sonar Professional set of ProChannel modules. So no Concrete Limiter or CA-2A for instance. I started with CbB and therefore am missing a pile of the Platinum Suite plug-ins. All the high-end synths, for instance. Rapture, Dimension, etc.

Ultimately, it's up to product management to decide what are good ideas to implement and what to wait on. Most suggestions would improve the program, if only for the person who suggested them. šŸ˜„Although once in a blue moon we see something like this one guy who came up with the idea of putting advertisements in a splash screen because he was having issues with BandLab Assistant. His logic was, I think, the product of frustration. šŸ˜„

I did not hold back from telling him that I thought his suggestion was a poor one.šŸ¤£

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Another visit from Annoying It Can Already Do This Guy: if you go into Preferences/File/Advanced and uncheck Allow Only One Open Project At A Time, you'll be able to open the project you wish to import the tracks from. At that point, you should be able to just drag and drop tracks from the source project to the target project.

You actually canĀ“t. You certainly can drag the trackĀ“s content, but you cannot drag the track itself.Ā 

14 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Remember that while at least initially the forum regulars skewed heavily toward Sonar Platinum refugees (like you, I believe), Cakewalk by BandLab only ships with the Sonar Professional set of ProChannel modules. So no Concrete Limiter or CA-2A for instance. I started with CbB and therefore am missing a pile of the Platinum Suite plug-ins. All the high-end synths, for instance. Rapture, Dimension, etc.

No I was an 8.5.3 user for about 10 years !Ā  I only came into contact with the Pro Channel when CBB was released and I made the jump. ( primarily to get ARA support )

So all I ever had was the Per Channel EQ.Ā  Which I actually thought was better than the way the Pro Channel EQĀ is implemented. I only really used it for high / low pass filters and you could do them without opening the full plugin interface ...much quicker than opening the Pro Channel now. The space is actually there for them to reinstate the EQ controls in the channel strip. I wish they would.

I already have Massive , Sylenth , Serum etc.Ā so I've never used any of the bundled instruments forĀ my TV music that I've licensed.Ā 

Edited by CosmicDolphin
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

No I was an 8.5.3 user for about 10 years !Ā  I only came into contact with the Pro Channel when CBB was released and I made the jump. ( primarily to get ARA support )

So all I ever had was the Per Channel EQ.Ā  Which I actually thought was better than the way the Pro Channel EQĀ is implemented. I only really used it for high / low pass filters and you could do them without opening the full plugin interface ...much quicker than opening the Pro Channel now. The space is actually there for them to reinstate the EQ controls in the channel strip. I wish they would.

I already have Massive , Sylenth , Serum etc.Ā so I've never used any of the bundled instruments forĀ my TV music that I've licensed.Ā 

Ah. I was wondering how the 8.5 stalwarts were feeling about Take Lanes after the recent retooling. Used to see a lot of complaining about the Take Lanes workflow vs. Layers(?) but that seems to have quieted down. Have Take Lanes improved or have the Layers fans just given up for good?

So before ProChannel there was a conventional channel strip EQ that was replaced by the Quad Curve ProChannel module. I can see where you would miss that. The ProChannel is an extra click. Usually when I'm using it for simple HP/LP I don't bother to pop open the full interface. And how I wish double-clicking on the graph in the channel strip would pop open the full interface without having to open the ProChannel first.

That's a sweet collection of synths. I just make do with a handful that AIR and iZotope put on deep discount. Hybrid 3, Iris 2, Vacuum Pro. I also have a bunch of A|A|S soundsets which I love, great for electronic/ambient. For orchestral sounds, Sonivox' great samples delivered in in crappy UI's. šŸ˜„ And of course whatever free loss-leaders a company is kind enough to offer.

On 3/20/2020 at 4:50 AM, Starship Krupa said:

Ah. I was wondering how the 8.5 stalwarts were feeling about Take Lanes after the recent retooling. Used to see a lot of complaining about the Take Lanes workflow vs. Layers(?) but that seems to have quieted down. Have Take Lanes improved or have the Layers fans just given up for good?

I dunno can't say I've ever really used them..I record it..if I don't like it I hit CTR-Z ..& record again ! Do another pass until it's right.

Now I have to keep changing the project settings back to Sound On Sound which is annoying as it used to be the default...but I treat it like tape machine

So before ProChannel there was a conventional channel strip EQ that was replaced by the Quad Curve ProChannel module. I can see where you would miss that. The ProChannel is an extra click. Usually when I'm using it for simple HP/LP I don't bother to pop open the full interface. And how I wish double-clicking on the graph in the channel strip would pop open the full interface without having to open the ProChannel first.

I don't think I ever used the Quad Curve Eq. The TrackĀ Channel EQ was based on the Sonitus EQ plugin but it put all the controls right where you'd expect 'em. On the console view !Ā  I don't understand why they are hidden away under a pop out window now. The console view is supposed to be a virtual mixer. A mixer has the EQ controlsĀ right there on the channel strip - not hidden under somethign that pops up at the push of a button. Makes no sense to me, and now we have a ton of empty space instead ???Ā  It was perfect before....Now you can't even use the mouse wheel to alter the values of your filters.

Ā image.png.820f09f9db422ffc81d61dade1425560.png

That's a sweet collection of synths. I just make do with a handful that AIR and iZotope put on deep discount. Hybrid 3, Iris 2, Vacuum Pro. I also have a bunch of A|A|S soundsets which I love, great for electronic/ambient. For orchestral sounds, Sonivox' great samples delivered in in crappy UI's. šŸ˜„ And of course whatever free loss-leaders a company is kind enough to offer.

I use a lot of Kontakt Libraries ,Ā  there's too many to buy them all though.Ā  I just finished this track for MTV's ' The Challenge 'Ā 

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/dancing-with-death-mix-3-mastered

Edited by CosmicDolphin

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 4:57 AM, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

You mean audio from another project ?

You can do that just by using per project audio folders ( which is now the default iirc ) and then browsing to the other projects audio folder and drag-Ā dropping what you need right into your current project.Ā  I do it quite often as I have to make tracks in the same genreĀ and it's easier to find certain sounds like a kick drum or a riser that worked well in a previous trackĀ for example.Ā  Way quicker than trawling through multiple folders in my sample drive.Ā 

No, I mean an entire track from another project. I often save projects in different versions. I want the ability to go back and grab a track from another project and bring it into the current version without opening the previous version. Pro Tools and Studio One have this functionality, and I would, for the way I work, like it in Cakewalk. That and nested track folders.Ā 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 6:50 PM, David SG Ferringer said:

I wish there a way to mark the chords, something like this:

cake.jpg

totally magic idea ,that sets out the chord structure for a song across all tracks..Ā  I am not wanting a music lesson here ,although using thisĀ 

idea of yours might help me resolve many hours of confussion during heated rehearsals,[thats energy heating] when someone simply asks ,

wotĀ chord u playing,, never answered I spoke up and paused play with ,,just tell me the notes,, then I can work it out,,,this worked for meĀ 

as I could then work out all related notes by ear and progress to join in, point beingĀ  still never new the chords.Ā  2nd point being ,IĀ  thought,Ā 

think that normally all notes are played together to make a chord,,,,, are these notes above if together hence a chord ,, and could they addĀ 

the guitar chord box's.Ā  working this way or as in dredded rehearsals [pure work for me keys] to no the chord is a great help, although my

other confusious is a collection of notes can have more than one chord nameĀ  pendingĀ  the songĀ  KEY or SCALE,Ā  so the scale is set by the root note,, um wot's the root note,, normally the resolutionĀ  Ā da-da, anyway Confusious told me personally,,," never listen to a word I say" and onceĀ 

again totally smart clear use of sceen space gets my voteĀ  Ā chords is were it's at,,Jon...

• Thanks 1

Midi tracks and synths that are loaded onto them drop out all of a sudden during playback. I hear so many missing notes and stuff. Happens to audio tracks sometimes too. Issue is frequent on very large projects. Would be great if you could fix that. Also, I cant set the audio sync driver to anything other than ASIO4ALL in the sync and cache preferences menu. Also enable automated mute on busses as well. Would be very useful. Also an automation for track interleave and phase would be nice. Have multi plugin parameter linking. As in changing the parameters of one amp sim panned left example can also change the parameters of one on the right, a duplicate plugin, once manually linked by the user. I've always found it frustrating changing settings over about 4 rhythm tracks on a huge project.

Edited by Yasal De Silva

I would love to have export settings kept as preferences. If I always export in FLAC, I want my sub formatĀ remembered and defaulted to the same I always use and the option to not even ask for it. The same for MP3 export and in this instance I would love the ID3 info be saved by project.

Finally for export, I would like to setup batch export by project where I can choose multiple formats and have them exported in one single operation without any intervention other than run it and everything gets done while I go make myself some coffee! šŸ™‚

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Jacques Boileau said:

I would love to have export settings kept as preferences. If I always export in FLAC, I want my sub formatĀ remembered and defaulted to the same I always use and the option to not even ask for it. The same for MP3 export and in this instance I would love the ID3 info be saved by project.

Finally for export, I would like to setup batch export by project where I can choose multiple formats and have them exported in one single operation without any intervention other than run it and everything gets done while I go make myself some coffee! šŸ™‚

This would be great for deliverables !

Personally I have amended the default export ' Entire Mix ' and saved over it with my own preferred settingsĀ  ( 24bit 48k )