What new updates would you like to see in 2020 to Cakewalk - CLOSED.

Will.

I would love to see some Matrix View updates... How the matrix view behaves is wonderful.. it’s the closest I’ve come to mimicking a hardware looper with a daw however there are a few things that could make it perfect..

1 . most obviously the ability to record in clips... especially if they could record with “retrigger mode off”... .

that’s how I use matrix exclusively.. acting more like muting and unmuting.

Maybe even the ability to preset recording length ahead of time and store multiple takes similar to the comping method used on the arranger... we could select the best one in comping mode or in a sound on sound mode overdub but still have access to the takes... this would be groundbreaking ( sonar / cakewalk have always been ahead of the curve but no one notices ) as no other clip launchers do this and hardware looping migraters are left in a world of frustration.  

2.  the ability to unsync the matrix view from timeline with a toggle switch. In a performance setting it is often good to have more feel type breaks in your song opposed to perfect on the beat breaks ( say a guitar player playing to loops has a part where the guitar rings out naturally with the loops shut off ) having the option to have the timeline unsynced ( with retrigger mode off it’s not possible currently ) the arranger would Record more like a tape machine... ideal for recording in a live setting for people looking for a more “human feel “ performance.  Currently this can be done with all other clip launching daws I’ve tried ( Ableton/bitwig )

• Like 2

My suggestion:

To make a MIDI chord analys from midi events on a selected track. And to save them in the MIDI-file as XF Simple Chords, to be shown in keyboard displays and MIDI-file players from computers.

The solution could be as in the freeware: PSRUTI that can be downloaded here:
https://psruti.software.informer.com/8.5/

It would be a nice feature not to leave Cakewalk for making a task like this.

Hi, I don't know if an update on MusicXML export would help, but if I need to finish sheet music on Musescore it won't reproduce correctly tied notes, so I'll have to import file on Finale NotePad first, export to MusicXML and open it on Musescore.
It's not a big thing but if that could be fixed it would be great! :  )

Best regards

Edited by mgustavo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Paw Vester Kristensen said:

To make a MIDI chord analys from midi events on a selected track.

I was enthused when I saw that Cakewalk came with a MIDI plug-in effect for chord analysis, less so after I tried it out and found that it was not as useful as I had hoped.

I must investigate the program that you linked to.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 10:20 PM, Davydh said:

I like the global midi transpose idea, but it would have to bypass channel 10 or midi drums would sound very 'interesting'.

Yeah I see what you mean although I can't remember the last time I stuck to the old GM standard of  Ch.10 being drums reserved for drums.  But imagine a  4x4 grid or a row of buttons numbered 1-16 so you could enable/disable the global transpose on a per channel basis quite easily 

7 hours ago, CosmicDolphin said:

Yeah I see what you mean although I can't remember the last time I stuck to the old GM standard of  Ch.10 being drums reserved for drums.  But imagine a  4x4 grid or a row of buttons numbered 1-16 so you could enable/disable the global transpose on a per channel basis quite easily 

I guess that a single Global Transpose Disable button in the track would suffice.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, Christopher Poore said:

a lot of the suggestions are  great but more aligned to those who use midi a lot more. As i dont I would like to see a some new pro channel modules for a bit of variety  

Midi enhancements are part of the core functionality of CBB that's why people want them. 

Pro Channel Modules whilst built in are essentially just FX plugins and there's hundreds of 3rd party offerings around for those seeking more variety so why spend dev time on stuff that can easily be added by the user. 

On 2/10/2020 at 6:51 PM, Starise said:

Maybe this already exists and I have not seen it or don't know how to use it.. A clip "re join" feature. 

Not sure if it's exactly what you mean, but you can always select two or more clips and bounce them together with "bounce to clips". The side effect is that the new clip has a different name. If you have unwanted crossfades, you need to remove manually first.

Edited by Cristiano Sadun
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cristiano Sadun said:

Not sure if it's exactly what you mean, but you can always select two or more clips and bounce them together with "bounce to clips". The side effect is that the new clip has a different name. If you have unwanted crossfades, you need to remove manually first.

Thank you Christiano. If it joins the clips end to end that's sounds like a nice work around.

Since accurate timing of the music is often involved with respect to joining clips sometimes an almost surgical effort is involved in joining two (or more) clips together with pinpoint  accuracy,  I was looking for a solution where I could mate the two clips together with this detail. Then using right mouse click..see a selection that says "join clips" which would then merge them together exactly where I placed them as one clip.

If the work around you posted does that then I will look at using it, though I would  think a solution like the one I mentioned seems more efficient. Does the solution you mentioned keep the clips on the track or export a new combined clip?

38 minutes ago, Starise said:

Thank you Christiano. If it joins the clips end to end that's sounds like a nice work around.

Cheers, open it does what you need. As I understand this is not so much a workaround as the "official" way of rejoining clips - you splice, do your adjustments  and then finalize by creating an complete clip out of the parts.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Slightly different approach, but this might achieve what you want in some cases: select both clips, right click and choose "Create Selection Group from Selected Clips".  This allows the clips to "stick" to each other as you move/copy them, so you get the benefits of them behaving as a single entity from an arrangement point of view.

• Like 1

On 12 de marzo de 2020 at 3:11 PM, Starise said:

Since accurate timing of the music is often involved with respect to joining clips sometimes an almost surgical effort is involved in joining two (or more) clips together with pinpoint  accuracy,  I was looking for a solution where I could mate the two clips together with this detail. Then using right mouse click..see a selection that says "join clips" which would then merge them together exactly where I placed them as one clip.

If the work around you posted does that then I will look at using it, though I would  think a solution like the one I mentioned seems more efficient. Does the solution you mentioned keep the clips on the track or export a new combined clip?

As already noted, "bounce to clips" does exactly that.  And then some. It is not a workaround, it is the actual name of the feature that you are requesting. Maybe you should try it and suggest how you think it could be further improved.

It keeps the new clip exactly in place, BTW.

Edited by JoseC
Forgot something.

This might just be me but...   I have multiple audio interfaces.  Only 1 of which that I use with Cakewalk.  I do a bit of video work as well and prefer a simpler interface for that application. 

Occasionally Cakewalk will 'forget' and select the wrong audio device.   So what would be extremely useful would the ability to save these parameters as a preset or a file of some sort.   If I even knew where these settings were maintained I might be able to create a utility myself.  (Registry Entry?)   My templates are also aligned with these settings.  So when they get messed up all my tracks are messed up as well.   Midi devices never seem to be a problem.  Just audio.  Thanks for all you do! 🙂

CW_Feature_Request.thumb.JPG.0250cac06daac02f787e5d22e410de4a.JPG

Edited by Bill Campbell
forgot to click notify
  • Great Idea 1