Look who came home after 25 years away

kennywtelejazz

Hi guys ,

I just got one of my guitars back from a friend of mine . He held on to it for me for 25 years .

What we have here is my 62 Fender double bound MIJ Esquire in Candy Apple Red .

Pardon my fuzzy pics ..I'm not set up with the lighting over here

wXWov34.jpg

FN36w3v.jpg

UXVZ5as.jpg

I bought this guitar brand new in 1986 when I worked at Mannys Music on W 48 th .

The first thing I did was to pull the neck off my Esquire and store it n a safe place .

Since I wanted Jumbo frets , I walked over to Rudys Music and bought one of the necks he was using for the Pensa Suhr guitars of that era .

BTW I waited 20 years to put the Esquie neck on one of my current Teles. I may show that one someday

Last but not least , at the time I didn't have a Tele with a Humbucker in the neck position so I put one in a Gibby HB in back then ...

This guitar is a keeper so I'm not at all worried about the rise and fall of guitar prices .

all the best

Kenny

• Like 3

That is great! What you want is instruments with some soul to them.  Your friend took good care of it :)

My 83 MIJ Squire plays as good as any guitar and I like the fact it has some years on it, and a very personal history for me. Never getting rid of that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tobias said:

That is great! What you want is instruments with some soul to them.  Your friend took good care of it :)

My 83 MIJ Squire plays as good as any guitar and I like the fact it has some years on it, and a very personal history for me. Never getting rid of that.

I thought my guitars were long gone .I had no idea my friend was gonna gift me by giving me back my own guitars.

The whole situation was totally unexpected  .That's the freaky thing I love the most about this story .

Whew , that's a friend for sure .

I have an 84 MIJ Squier Tele . Jay Black formerly from Sadawskys Guitars who later went on to work at The Fender Custom Shop did all the fret work on it .

If it ever came down to it I could be happy w only one guitar ...

Hey nice talking w you

14 minutes ago, James G said:

Nice one Kenny!

My MIJ Esquire  would be pretty hard to find if I wanted to ever replace it  ....I lucked out getting it back after all those years.

Most if not all 1980's Fender Guitars MIJ  are easily considered to be at least  equal to the American Fenders of various offerings and time lines .

When I grab this guitar it does not feel like any of the guitars I may play at a Music Store . It has a lot of  MOJO

Nice talking w you ,

Kenny

23 hours ago, Tobias said:

I feel the same way about my 84 MIJ Tele ...hey post a pic here if you feel like it ....

I may post a pic of mine in a day or two.

18 hours ago, James G said:

Nice one Kenny!

Jame's ,

A while back I seem to remember you had a Tele w 2 P 90's . I would Love to go there at some point myself .....

OK  since I had pulled the 86 MIJ Fender Esquire neck off the guitar and held on to it for all this time .I might as well show you what guitar I had put the neck on .

First here's the head stock ...remember I mentioned that my Esquire is an actual Fender made in JAPAN in 1986 not a Squier

HvGDVkf.jpg

Here's the guitar the neck is currently on

Ash bodied Korean made Samic Valley Arts Telecaster

BSBqjaM.jpg

have a good night guys ,

Kenny

• Like 1

Space Cowboy has one of my custom guitars.  Hopefully I'll get the chance to see about getting it back someday.  The luthier who made all of my customs has one of the others and I know he's holding it aside for me...  Just more motivation for me to make some money!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BassDaddy said:

How cool is that?! I bet almost everyone has a guitar or amp out there they would like to get back. Good for you Kenny. That's a win for all the guitar players out there.

Great to see you around here BassDaddy :)

What you said was pretty encouraging . Yes I hope every body out there gets a win ..

1 hour ago, craigb said:

Space Cowboy has one of my custom guitars.  Hopefully I'll get the chance to see about getting it back someday.  The luthier who made all of my customs has one of the others and I know he's holding it aside for me...  Just more motivation for me to make some money!

I've heard you mention that before .....I hope you get it back ...

Right now I'm sitting here playing the worlds least expensive Epiphone Les Paul  , The Epiphone Les Paul S L .

dywgtzmfk2dw9j3gpzkz.png

I Love this thing  .

As you know I do have and Play A Historic Gibson Les Paul when the mood strike me ....the thing is , I love the fact that now a days even the worlds cheapest Les Paul the Epiphone Les Paul S L  coming in at the price of $119.00 can  in the right hands be a very good playing and sounding guitar for the player on the cheap ...

have a good one ,

Kenny

Edited by Kenny Wilson