Jump to content
Morten Saether

[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2020.01 Early Access

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SteveC said:

Isn't that the bus that Rapture is ouputting to?

 

I just checked and you're right.  It is the bus.  My bad.  That being said, (and as you suggested) an interleave button on the Simple Instrument strip would be handy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 8:46 AM, Morten Saether said:

Show/hide Aim Assist text in Time Ruler

You can now show/hide the Aim Assist text in the time ruler. To do so, do one of the following:

  • Go to Edit > Aim Assist and select Show Aim Assist Time.
  • Right-click in the time ruler and select Aim Assist > Show Aim Assist Time.
  • Press ALT+X (can be be reassigned to any other shortcut in Edit > Preferences > Customization - Keyboard Shortcuts).

When I suggested being able to turn off the helpy number bubble, I thought I would either turn it off and leave it off or leave it on depending on what kind of project I was doing, but after installing the EA build and messing with a bit of Alt-X, I'm finding that's not always the case.

Having the ability to toggle the number bubble off and on is letting me use it in a precise fashion, as I would digital calipers or similar. It's there when I want its precision and out of the way when I want to focus on the ruler underneath.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Promidi said:

I just checked and you're right.  It is the bus.  My bad.  That being said, (and as you suggested) an interleave button on the Simple Instrument strip would be handy...

Cool, just wanted to be sure.   Ideally, I'd want to see all applicable audio controls available when the Audio tab is displayed and likewise for MIDI when the MIDI tab is displayed.  More or less representing what you'd see in a split instrument format but using the tabs instead of switching between tracks.    Hopefully that's what Noel was referring to...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Having the ability to toggle the number bubble off and on is letting me use it in a precise fashion

And remember, there is now a new keybinding item available for this particular toggle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CPU Metrics mouse hover thing is absolutely brilliant ! I've been using it on a few projects, and it really gives me a more precise snapshot of resources my computer is using. When I engage my mastering plugins, I can see how much the CPU usage really spikes. It's nice to put a number to it. The one thing I don't get about it is the Late Buffers . . . so far, I haven't seen any, so guess that's all good. I've never heard the term "late buffers" before . . . can you elaborate what they actually are ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

with Experimental aggressive task scheduling model turn on, my tracks dont appear to be in sync when its exported, but it sounds ok when its in the DAW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, noynekker said:

The CPU Metrics mouse hover thing is absolutely brilliant ! I've been using it on a few projects, and it really gives me a more precise snapshot of resources my computer is using. When I engage my mastering plugins, I can see how much the CPU usage really spikes. It's nice to put a number to it. The one thing I don't get about it is the Late Buffers . . . so far, I haven't seen any, so guess that's all good. I've never heard the term "late buffers" before . . . can you elaborate what they actually are ?

@noynekkerLate buffers is just a term I cooked up to indicate buffers that took too long to process. If you aren't seeing any late buffers it means that you aren't hitting any limits and that the CPU is able to process all workloads ahead of time. I will write an article about it later but in a nutshell it works like this.

For each audio buffer, the audio engine allocates workloads for processing all tracks, buses etc to cores. It then waits for all the cores to finish processing their workloads.
After the cores finish their work the final mixed audio buffers are delivered to the audio driver. Then the process repeats for the next buffer.
If for some reason ALL workloads take longer to process than the deadline for the buffer (deadline = audio latency in milliseconds) the driver will get its buffer late. Hence its called a late buffer. Late buffers are shown in the CPU metrics. While a few late buffers will be completely imperceptible and shouldn't be anything to be concerned about, if you are getting hundreds of late buffers you should probably raise your latency. Higher latency means the deadline is longer and it gives the CPU more headroom to finish processing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JL said:

with Experimental aggressive task scheduling model turn on, my tracks dont appear to be in sync when its exported, but it sounds ok when its in the DAW

@JL Hmm I havent run into that. Does it only happen with the aggressive mode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm saving up for a new ultra high performance music PC in a few months, but I have Sonar/CbB on my laptop. After this update goes public, I can't wait to try the aggressive mode and see what happens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 5:22 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

@JL Hmm I havent run into that. Does it only happen with the aggressive mode?

i cant seem to recreate the problem with consistency, but it only seems to happen in aggressive mode and occurs randomly. 

here are some audio samples of what im referring to (mainly happens in the later half of the song): 

https://app.box.com/s/q3oselcptgbyaaacu0oetgfn40lenu5x

Edited by JL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ThreadSchedulingModel value to 3

I just tried this and played through a 12 bar blues. The midi tones got farther and farther behind the guitar tone from TH3 until I had to stop.

I reset the value to 0 and everything works again.

Any tips? Did I do it wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One should avoid posting in the early release thread after the production version is released.

It is better to post in the production release thread. For 2020.01 it is

 

There was a hot fix released for 2020.01.

The announcement thread has been updated

along with https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk/whats-new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...