Drum instrument names on MIDI notes in PRV

Starship Krupa

Question

I seem to recall that when the Piano Roll View first got note names on the MIDI notes, a couple of people mentioning that it was cool that one could also get drum names to show up on the MIDI notes.

I didn't get around to asking them how to accomplish this at the time, but I do so now.

Is it possible to get individual drum instrument names to show up on the MIDI notes in the PRV? If so, how do I do it?

4 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Thank you! The second answer was the one I was looking for, except now I need to figure out why I don't get the Note Names dialog when I right click on my piano keys....

You need to have some instrument definitions defined (the old .ins files).

Go into Preferences->MIDI->Instruments and click the Define button.

You can then import definitions from either Cakewalks master list, or external .ins files.

Note that they don't actually have to be assigned to any of your MIDI devices... they just need to have been imported.

If none of the stock .ins files match your instrument, you'll need to cook one up yourself using a text editor. This isn't a  particularly easy process, but a search through the old forum should bring up plenty of tips.

Personally, I'd recommend copying an existing .ins file (like the Alesis D4 which is pretty simple) and editing it in notepad.