Bangalore

bjornpdx

I've had the Native Instruments India Discovery Series instruments for a while
and decided to play around with it. I came up with this.

Thanks for listening.

Native Instruments India Discovery Series
    Bansuri, Sitar, Santur, Tabla, Tanpura

also
uHe  Diva
Heavyocity Vocalise

• Like 1

Better respond to the comments now. Songs are rapidly descending down the page.

Hidden Sym
Thanks for the comment.

John
I listened to Ravi Shankar's daughter playing the sitar on youtube to get some ideas. She is amazing.
The voice is from Heavyocity Vocalise, a Kontakt instrument.

Gary
Indian music isn't exactly in my heritage, but I've always liked it. IMO I did okay with the Kontakt instruments here except I couldn't get the sitar to sound like I wanted.

Paul
Thanks for the comment. Appreciate it as always.

:)  Hard not to like. I'm a sucker for world stuff. I'd say tablas could come in a biu earlier (they are great) and the sitar has a bit of a piercing resonance up top. Not quite icepick, but close. You might look at the eq curves in realtime on that sitar, do you have a big spike above zero around 5kHz when that Sitar is a wailin' ? You do want a sitar to have a bitey treble component. I'm talking around :58 . . .

All of those samples sound really great and you have mixed them with full respect to the hypnotic manthric chantiness  they are supposed to have.  You've got it from Madras, Oregon to Madras, India.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

David and Paul
Thanks so much for listening and commenting

Tom
I checked out the sitar and yes indeed it does spike over zero around 5K. I guess I didn't find it objectionable though. I really wanted a better performance from it but will have to keep trying. Adding notes by way of the PRV isn't ideal for this instrument.
Madras, Oregon and Madras, India. They're worlds apart - geographically of course, but mainly cultural.
Madras, Oregon and Portland, Oregon. Worlds apart politically.
------------------------------

• Like 1