A Word Regarding Dyslexia and Melodyne

scottcmusic

Alt-Z!  Alt-Z is the universal command to return your screen to the previous zoom setting ... NOT Ctrl-Z!

Big Difference. 

I was in Melodyne editing some vocals ... my vocal is busted up into nicely digestible chunks so I can get in and out of Melodyne ... then I started to build up a little confidence ... so I tried editing a giant clip all at once. Must've been an entire verse worth of vocals ... I got all the way to the end of the last little phrase ... there was just one thing left to do ... zoom out and give all my hard work one final look see.

That's when it happened ... I had zoomed in on a particular bit, and to return to my previous zoom setting, I sub-consciously hit Ctrl-Z instead of Alt-Z ... POOF ... instantly all my hard, but unsaved work was gone in a jiffy.

You don't get any sort of nice, elegant, popup dialogue asking you if you "really want to abandon the session?" The editor window just disappears and you are returned to your track the way it was before any editing. Lol. 

Apparently hitting Ctrl-Z in Melodyne is the shortcut for abort!

Krikey ... you gotta watch that ...

• Sad 1

I had this problem several times (even today). The thing is if the Ctrl-Z command is sent to Melodyne only the last step in Melodyne is reverted, but if the Ctrl-Z command goes to CbB then the Region FX command (Melodyne) is reverted, so Melodyne is closed! But the good thing is that you can reopen Melodyne with Ctrl-Y (or redo) and the editing is still there!

The first times I experienced this horrible close I thought the same as you that all my work was lost. But once I understood that it was the revert of the Region FX command I tried the undo and it worked. The problem is that when you press the space bar in between to start play (or click anywhere into CbB) the control goes to CbB and if you then enter any short-cut it is sent to CbB and not Melodyne. It's not so logical for the user, but it is program logic!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm having this issue with a vsti vocal synth i'm testing.

It has a piano roll and chases cw.

If I do a ctrl-z with sonar in focus (behind the plugin) sonar "rudely" removes the vsti instead of the vst removing the last edit.

I too did a ctrl-Y and got the synth back but all my work in the vsti is gone.

Clicking the keyboard icon to "send all keystrokes to the plug" doesn't work at least for ctrl-z.

I use mouse commands more than keystrokes but even then one is not immune, until I learned  my lesson I went to the wrong menu to undo and undid create region effect in Cakewalk, rather than undoing the last operation in Melodyne.

Once the region effect is removed any edits in that session are gone, redo will only insert the region effect again, minus any edits.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

• 3 weeks later...

Ay-yi-yi, nightmare. Ctrl Z is of course the universal "undo last action" keystroke, but that whammy of having two different undo/redo queues in the plug-in and the host is a tricky one. I'm kind of appalled that Melodyne only has one level of Redo in their plug-in.

The plug-in deletion behavior is not Cakewalk (or SONAR?) being "rude," BTW. If the host program's UI has focus, Ctrl-Z should undo the last thing the user did in the host program. If that last thing was putting a plug-in on a track because they're testing it (over and over and over, I feel your pain),. then it should undo that. So it pays to be really  mindful of which window has focus.

In the case of Region FX, an option to have it warn the user before deleting the plug-in and losing all their edits might make a good feature request.

I have any uneasy relationship with Melodyne, partly because they've set up Essentials in such a crippleware-y way, with features greyed out, the manual being the same as for the standard versions but with notes saying that the cheapo version didn't have the feature I just read about how to use. If I hadn't gotten all my Melodyne licenses in bundles, I'd be irritated with it, 'cause it's never come close to coughing up $50 in value.

The only thing I think that's cool about it is the audio-to-MIDI conversion. The "rollin' the golden turds" UI looks kinda David Cronenberg, like I'm using some grotesque living organism to manipulate pitch.