Your A Woman

SPAK

Thought I would post a song done some years ago as a Tascam 688 came under discush ..  Completely recorded on the 688 and a PSR550 with a cheap Fender copy ... Why do I need ALL this gear ?? ...Guess 'cause it makes recording less honest & easier. Open house on analog  Vs Digital 🤐

Thanks John, I think it is about 30 years old! dragged of the 688 a couple of days ago.

Thanks Pcode (that can't be your real name ..can it?) I can't claim credit for the bass as it was a style on the Yammy PSR, but I do agree it's a pretty good sound, the song is mine though sooo 🙃

Steve

Edited by SPAK

And guess what I completely agree, I use the old plat & Cubase 10 and I have been given a recording that really needs fixing... timing, vocal key,  etc, and having used both DAWS and spent some weeks, it seems to me the best way through this is to use my old 688 to dump the whole recording to, and then just adjust the speed for 2 semitones to a 'G' then put it back to DAW.

My point is that us 'Luddites' have the knowledge of this stuff. Years ago I got my son a BOSS Br8 (He's a Bass player) and I think he still has it, he hates the way songs are made these days and often reminds me that my old work seems so much better ... somehow I think he's right.

Given your guitar skills at working riffs and shreds,  I'd bet some of that James G was the use of such devices (and like for like) I agree.  I think 'cause it was so honest and you had to listen back, you found time to perfect a track before using up those precious other tracks! Anyway I think my older material (Not songwriting, that's as bad as ever) back then has so much Omph to it ... sad that we all get older .........

Thanks for the comment James ...Take care of those fingers  😏

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds really good for an analogue recording.  Did you run the tape speed at 3.75 ips or standard?

I still have my old Fostex 160 multitracker from 1987.  It's in my basement with my Yamaha RX17 drum machine (1988).  Analogue was dirty but it was fun (kinda like sex😊).

BTW-Proper English in the title would be "You're The One".  😉

😀John B.

Hi John

To answer your question of tape speed when it comes to a 688 MIDI-STUDIO it only runs at the higher run through of 3.75 (apart from the pitch control which gives a variable speed of around 10%)  that is the 'standard speed' on this machine and doesn't run at the normal cassette speed... bet you wished you hadn't asked now :$

Your dead right about the 'dirty and fun' bit, but we were all so much younger then ....:P

Thanks for the title change but I ain't been into proper english since a kid ...buggered if I'll start now ... LOL

Thanks for message, and from one Luddite to another 'take care'

Best regards

Steve

9 hours ago, SPAK said:

Hi John

To answer your question of tape speed when it comes to a 688 MIDI-STUDIO it only runs at the higher run through of 3.75 (apart from the pitch control which gives a variable speed of around 10%)  that is the 'standard speed' on this machine and doesn't run at the normal cassette speed... bet you wished you hadn't asked now :$

Your dead right about the 'dirty and fun' bit, but we were all so much younger then ....:P

Thanks for the title change but I ain't been into proper english since a kid ...buggered if I'll start now ... LOL

Thanks for message, and from one Luddite to another 'take care'

Best regards

Steve

Some of the "portastudios" as they were called, offered 2 speeds. I believe the Yamaha MT2X was one.  My Fostex also had only the higher speed.

😀JB

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, soundregion said:

Love the sound and the mix. Could do with a little variation along the track. 

Your correct, it could, and I know if I did the song today it would be entirely different ... back then this was cutting edge ... for me anyway:/

Many thanks for the comment and listening

SPAK 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, thegaltieribrothers said:

Hi SPAK,

Love the cool reggae feel to this track and the enigmatic vocals throughout.

You have great lyrics which with the sound of your vocal hold the interest throughout.

Thanks for sharing.

Good Job!

regards

paul

Thanks guys, hope you don't mind me saying but I think your stuff has the same vibe ..somehow. I'm a lyrics sort'a'guy so your stuff appeals. Thanks for your comments & time

Steve

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

I just found a 688!

gave a little jack for it, but it was worth it.

This is indicative of what can be done?

Jou banked it baby!

Takes a bit of time understanding the beast but worth the effort .it's still a great bitokit ..looking forward to what you do on it .... 

SPAK

I see this was posted in January, so I missed this on the first go-round.  First, it's a terrific song regardless of how it was recorded.  I recorded on 1/2 inch tape for many years, and to this day, I don't miss it!  That being said, a good song will sound good on most anything, as long as the heart of the song comes through.  I don't think that would ever be a problem for you, Steve.  Now, on to your newest song...