The only tool missing in cakewalk now. (Visual clip gain)

Will.

7 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

But if I could have just made a selection, then used CTRL+click and move, this would have made life a lot easier.

That is what I'm crying for! You would make the community extremely happy if this could come to surface this year, after discussing it with the team.

Appreciate that msmcleod.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

BTW - what I've done in the past is split the clips at the various points I can see problems, then normalize each clip individually. The times I've done this was when my daughter was 5, and I was recording her vocals... needless to say the levels where all over the place!

Oh man! you had your hand full. lol. I do that when I'm in the mood for a lot of work.    🤣🤯

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2020 at 6:55 AM, Gswitz said:

You can automate clip gain and then bounce to clips to materialize. If you like what you see you can ctrl z to return to the clip gain envelope in case you want to change after listening.

I leverage clip gain A LOT.

You see the problem with this Gswitz is, that it decreases the overall volume of the entire clip. You don't want to touch your the entire recording. 

By what I am suggesting will allow you to increase the volume, of only a certain word you want to make louder or decrease in volume.

• Like 1

Clip gain is an envelope. You are in total control of the regions to raise and lower. All the usual tricks work. You can easily raise soft words or cut breaths.

It gives you nice automation control of gain before your fx on the track.

I'm not talking about track gain which is a static setting on the track.

Take a look. It is more handy than i knew when starting out. Glad I've discovered it now.

Arguable drawback is you don't get to see the waveform change as you adjust, but by doing a bounce to clips followed by ctrl+z you can see what it does to the clip briefly prior to hitting the fx chain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I thought there was the ability to select just a portion of the clip and use the method above to only change the clip gain for the selected area... but it doesn't.

If you have the envelope present, you can swipe a range, hover high-side, then drag up or down. This will auto create 4 nodes around your selection. Then adjust slopes if you want.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Gswitz said:

If you have the envelope present, you can swipe a range, hover high-side, then drag up or down. This will auto create 4 nodes around your selection. Then adjust slopes if you want.

Still not as effective as to what me and msmcleaod talking about.  It's a 2005 technique. We're in 2020, and need cleaner and more time saving powerful methods.

Though, awesome little trick. It still affects the entire clip on my side and not the selected region.

• Like 1

I guess, Will. I'd have to see the implementation and give it a try to see how i like it.

It's hard for me to imagine a computer generated clip gain envelope that i would feel comfortable using without veto of each decision point.

Not even seeing the envelope... Idk. Hard to imagine using it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gswitz said:

I guess, Will. I'd have to see the implementation and give it a try to see how i like it.

It's hard for me to imagine a computer generated clip gain envelope that i would feel comfortable using without veto of each decision point.

Not even seeing the envelope... Idk. Hard to imagine using it.

Check your inbox and reply here bro.🤘

Edited by _Will_

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Ok, I've played around with the clip automation a bit more, and actually what you're describing is pretty quick/easy to do once you know how:

quick_clip_automation.gif

Woaw! Yeah! This is a much easier way! Thanks a lot. Now, we just need to get this in visual. 🤣🤘 I've done much better editing today with this method, and it is super quick!!!

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 9:31 AM, mark skinner said:

I remember when a fade wasn't reflected in the waveform. It helped getting a visual .

The visuals @msmcleod creates make all the difference in the world.  Same for the visuals @Morten Saether  creates for the periodic feature overviews.  There is some truth in the old saying that a picture is worth a thousand words.

I'd love to see some of these visuals incorporated into the Cakewalk Reference Guide, online help or, best of all, into the Cakewalk Help Module.  In fact, I appreciate the visuals so much I think I create a new thread to discuss the idea.

I created the animated gif / video thread.  If you like the gif and video content and want to see them in the Help module or Reference Guide please visit the thread and express your support.

Edited by Jim Fogle
Added thread link.
  • Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 4:33 AM, msmcleod said:

Ok, I've played around with the clip automation a bit more, and actually what you're describing is pretty quick/easy to do once you know how:

If I knew how to make good videos I would but... The method you show is awesome but it is even easier without the alt-shift and  cntrl-drag mod keys. With the edit filter set to show clip gain just drag the cursor along the bottom of the clip to select a range then move the cursor above the envelope to change it to the envelope tool. Drag up or down within the selected range and nodes are created automatically.  AND whenever the cursor is showing the envelope tool clicking between any two nodes will select that range for adjustment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, Base 57 said:

If I knew how to make good videos I would but... The method you show is awesome but it is even easier without the alt-shift and  cntrl-drag mod keys. With the edit filter set to show clip gain just drag the cursor along the bottom of the clip to select a range then move the cursor above the envelope to change it to the envelope tool. Drag up or down within the selected range and nodes are created automatically.  AND whenever the cursor is showing the envelope tool clicking between any two nodes will select that range for adjustment.

Thanks @Base 57 - I didn't know it was that easy!

For those who want a video to @Base 57's instructions:

quick_clip_automation2.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Base 57 said:

This is cool and all, but it still doesn't speed up the work process. I've tried it and it works awesome, but on two occasions, I accidentally dragged the entire waveform envelope with. It's frustrating at times.  So I still suggest visual clip gain. It is efficient and easier plus, speed up work process by a mile. Though, this does not rule out automation of course.

New Project.gif

Edited by _Will_
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...