CbB Mac, please

urock

I may as well be the first to request it in the in the new forum...

Dear Meng and Co,

Please consider producing a Mac version of CbB.  Thank you for your consideration.

urock

Now to get ready for the responses by some of my PC friends... 🙂

image.png.81cd2927f8a9020e1ba350e90f45c94f.png

• Like 3

I think that's a cool idea, but the bakers  already tried that and decided that it was a major, major, re-write.

The strength of Cakewalk and Sonar on the Windows platform is also its Achilles heel as far as being ported to another platform.    It is very tightly wrapped with Windows code libraries and much would have to be coded from scratch in another universe to get the same functionality.

A complex DAW app would need to be designed from the ground up for cross platform compatibility in order to avoid the re-coding necessary to make it work after the fact.

I agree that a cross platform DAW app would have wider appeal, but the technical issues involved with achieving that goal are not insignificant.

• Like 1

I agree also,really bummed me out they didn't/couldnt make a Mac version.Not because mac is better,I own and use both, but because it would take cakewalk to the next level and give so many musicians the chance to see how amazing it is.Im no expert on code, so I in no way mean to brush aside how difficult it might be to re-write such a complex program, but I wonder whose Idea that was to write it so it tightly with windows libraries(again I dont know code).I wonder how much money and time would it require?Would the sales and growth make up for those expenses?I fell like it would, but then again its free right now so maybe its not possible for them to do that.

Hope that makes sense

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

They developed a Mac version of Sonar and released a prototype in 2017 before abandoning the idea. It was made available as a free download. Apparently it is still available here:
http://www.cakewalk.com/products/sonar-mac-prototype

Discussion about it can be found here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m3593807.aspx

They did, and I was so excited, but the issue is it won't be updated or worked on, those who want a mac version want the full deal

2 hours ago, Kev said:

They developed a Mac version of Sonar and released a prototype in 2017 before abandoning the idea. It was made available as a free download. Apparently it is still available here:

I went and looked at the above thread again.    Yuk.   Lots of not nice comments between members.  

HOWEVER....

That was the Gibson era where limited resources meant a PC focus because only PC Sonar was being sold and bringing in revenue.

It is a new world now.  The code is owned by a financially-strong company with an enthusiastic and ambitious leader whose main program (Bandlab) is multi-platform.. 

In this new environment, PC CbB is currently bringing in  $0 in direct revenue.    Mac CbB can compete with that. :-)   As has been gone over ad nauseam in the old forum, we (the users) don't exactly know how Bandlab generates its revenue.    What that means is that it can no longer be argued (at least with what we know) that Mac Sonar should not be developed because of some direct revenue return issue.  

To put a positive spin on the  Codeweaver thing, it was being used, per the Cake staff posting in that thread, as a transitional tool.  Meaning that pieces of new Mac code would replace the Codeweaver "bridge code" over time,   If that model was continued, the Cake staff could simply start where they left off.   Given that all of CbB is now free, the Mac version could be brought along as a more limited version (a few steps behind the PC).  That is how it is done with Band in the Box, for example, in that their Mac version is a bit behind their PC version.

On of the big reasons for MAC folks not using the Sonar Mac prototype was that it was announced up front that it would never be updated.   Reopen development of the prototype and say that it will be updated (although behind the PC version) and I think there will be more uptake by Mac folks.

Bandlab is a multi-platform company and their pro audio component-- CbB --should also be multi-platform.

This

I'm not a Mac user, but I remember seeing somewhere (before the Gibson fail) that there would be a Mac version available.  It was also around the same time as the
"new deals" (ie pay per month, lifetime upgrades (yeah right)).  But I guess all of that didn't materialize either.  That's another thing that gives me a bit of hope that maybe this company (Bandlab) will deliver on it promises better than the old company.  I sincerely hope that soon our Mac user brothers and sisters will be able to access the benefits of this incredible DAW.

😀John B.

MacOS, Linux, it would be great to have Cake-alikes on all of them, but I would see as a likelier path partnering with an existing Macintosh DAW manufacturer to build in some or all of the BandLab integration that Cakewalk has.

Cakewalk was probably a very desirable purchase for BL because it had been orphaned (hence a bargain, and a fit with the company's fondness for picking up good old respectable brands) and was already mature code. A from-the-ground-up DAW project would be a different thing and require a development team familiar with the MacOS environment.

It's my impression that Cakewalk and Microsoft had a close relationship. With Apple, Cakewalk would be a competitor to Logic.

I'd love to see it, but I doubt that we will.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephen Seth Ankrum said:

I agree also,really bummed me out they didn't/couldnt make a Mac version.Not because mac is better,I own and use both, but because it would take cakewalk to the next level and give so many musicians the chance to see how amazing it is.Im no expert on code, so I in no way mean to brush aside how difficult it might be to re-write such a complex program, but I wonder whose Idea that was to write it so it tightly with windows libraries(again I dont know code).I wonder how much money and time would it require?Would the sales and growth make up for those expenses?I fell like it would, but then again its free right now so maybe its not possible for them to do that.

Hope that makes sense

I don't know code also but maybe the first step is getting rid of some legacy code of the app.

6 hours ago, Stephen Seth Ankrum said:

Im no expert on code, so I in no way mean to brush aside how difficult it might be to re-write such a complex program, but I wonder whose Idea that was to write it so it tightly with windows libraries

I think I have heard it explained by Noel that there was a long standing partnership with Microsoft developers that allowed Cakewalk to leverage many of the higher performance audio features of Windows first, as they became available.  Cakewalk has been around for over 30 years, and had its roots in DOS as a MIDI sequencer.  That would have been important as Cakewalk evolved into a very strong  audio/MIDI DAW for Windows, and then as it matured into what we have today.

Edited by abacab

2 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

With Apple, Cakewalk would be a competitor to Logic.

I'd love to see it, but I doubt that we will.

I'm afraid that might be the bottom line.  You might be able to give away a CbB for Mac, but I doubt you could sell against Logic Pro X, which at $199 is sort of a no-brainer if you have a Mac. 

Just for reference, Apple owns Logic, and Apple is currently the most valuable company in the world, with a market cap of $926 billion USD. https://www.statista.com/statistics/263264/top-companies-in-the-world-by-market-value/

I'm sure that this discussion will continue until @Meng says, "(a) no way Jose", "(b) maybe, we should look into it further", or "(c) we'll definitely give it a shot"!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Just for reference, Apple owns Logic, and Apple is currently the most valuable company in the world, with a market cap of $926 billion USD. https://www.statista.com/statistics/263264/top-companies-in-the-world-by-market-value/

That # is really misleading - Apple's $$ is mainly from hardware sales (which includes lots of iPhones, watches, etc), they still only have a small portion of the computer market.
7.1% as of 2018Q2 per https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/12/mac-shipments-up-in-q2-2018/

To create a Mac version BandLab will have to start from scratch. While they could create a multiple platform version in doing so, the time frame would span several years and cost 100 of thousands of dollars, if not significantly more.  Considering the current exorbitant selling price and high volume of Cakewalk sales I sure they're dying to allocate the manpower & funds to jump into a market that may take them years to significantly crack.

While I too would really like a Mac version of Cakewalk I don't see it happening any time soon.

Edited by TheSteven

9 hours ago, Kev said:

<Sigh> I was curious and thought I'd check this out. But the Mac version of the Command Center wont recognize my Cakewalk account login so that's a no go.

4 hours ago, TheSteven said:

<Sigh> I was curious and thought I'd check this out. But the Mac version of the Command Center wont recognize my Cakewalk account login so that's a no go.

Interesting. I had the same Curiosity Attack and installed it to a 2009 Mac Book I happen to have. The Mac Book is on the Latest Mac OSX (minus 1 - the 2009 has reached the end of OSX compatibility with the previous release "High Sierra"). I haven't hooked up to my MIDI Controller - but I was able to open a tutorial project on the Mac. You might check that you didn't use the wrong password for the "Old" Cakewalk store.

Oh, yeah, and because it isn't coming down from the Apple App Store, I had to provide the Mac Book credentials and password to authorize the install of both Command Center and the various packages - In addition to signing into Cakewalk Command Center.

Edited by John Sandlin