Mother's Pride

Keith Wilby

https://www.bandlab.com/wilbyforce/motherspride-4ed4e4f6?revId=f062c7d7-9d3b-ea11-a601-2818789a1e8a

Originally written recorded by me 25 years ago using a Yamaha SQ-16 key/sequencer, spruced up here with new vocals and other bits 'n' bobs using Cakewalk.

Exploring three mother/child relationships.

Critiques welcome.

Edited by Keith Wilby

Bongos in the intro, more up front please. 

Really cool lyrics on a thoughtful topic, I was in from the word go.

I listened on headphones, and the bass was just a bit fuller than I might want. 

Your bridge: vocals great! lyrics great! and how those chord changes bring it back to the verse, super inventive and pro.

I think the string patch, and that tromboney thing out of the bridge, are letting you down sonically. What are you using for those? 

that was a treat to listen to. A very thoughtful composition!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Tom, thanks for your comments.

The horn solo and the strings are from the 90s vintage SQ-16 synth. I do like the sound of that horn personally but I can appreciate why you would find the strings dated (is that what you meant?)

I remember being really pleased with it 25 years ago and it's difficult for me to detach from that because I'm so used to hearing it that way, so it's nice to hear a new viewpoint. I'll see if I can make those strings more authentic now.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time :)

I think Tom's comments are spot on. Fine composition.
If this is a "snapshot" of your work in the 90's; so be it.
I had an EMU Proteus MPS Plus in those days. I thought it sounded great!
As to balance in the mix; as Tom said, bongos up a bit, and I'd bring that vocal up just a tad as well.

The other Tom

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

Hi Tom, thanks for your comments.

The horn solo and the strings are from the 90s vintage SQ-16 synth. I do like the sound of that horn personally but I can appreciate why you would find the strings dated (is that what you meant?)

I remember being really pleased with it 25 years ago and it's difficult for me to detach from that because I'm so used to hearing it that way, so it's nice to hear a new viewpoint. I'll see if I can make those strings more authentic now.

Thanks again, I really appreciate your time :)

Ah then that makes perfect sense. I too have older projects from that decade where my ears and brain wistfully cling to the cheese! What to do? Make nachos!

Heck of a good song, regardless of decade.

• Thanks 1

Keith
I couldn't get into critique mode because I really got into this song, kept saying wow and nice. Maybe the instruments are dated but I just heard the overall performance, everything blending in so well to magnify the emotional content of the lyrics. So I guess I liked it.

I have songs going back to the late 80s that I've tried to "modernize" with more realistic sounding instruments. Doesn't work. They must sound the same.

• Thanks 1

Hi Keith . . . the feel (groove) of the song is really great as it moves along, and very powerful when the vocal extends into a higher range (maybe it's just me, but I heard some  McCartney there)

My first listen was on headphones and the vocal and lyrics are very clear, (Also, I like your singing voice a lot) . . . but on my speaker listen, I wanted the vocals a hair louder in the mix. 

So, wow, "25 years ago using a Yamaha SQ-16 key/sequencer" you got a balanced and natural sounding recording here. Thanks for posting it here,  got any more nuggets from the past ?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, noynekker said:

Hi Keith . . . the feel (groove) of the song is really great as it moves along, and very powerful when the vocal extends into a higher range (maybe it's just me, but I heard some  McCartney there)

My first listen was on headphones and the vocal and lyrics are very clear, (Also, I like your singing voice a lot) . . . but on my speaker listen, I wanted the vocals a hair louder in the mix. 

So, wow, "25 years ago using a Yamaha SQ-16 key/sequencer" you got a balanced and natural sounding recording here. Thanks for posting it here,  got any more nuggets from the past ?

Thank you so much for your critique and kind words.  I've never had much confidence in my voice so that was good to hear. 

Lots of past recordings, whether or not they're nuggets is anyone's guess :D

If you search a streaming service like Spotify (or YouTube) for an album called Blanket Sound by me, they're all on there, including the original version of this song. 

They all sound a bit "thin" to me now because they weren't mastered. Also, each one is a live vocal performance because all I had was the SQ-16 and a tape recorder, so no punch in or editing. 

Some of them have their moments  :)

5 minutes ago, Keith Wilby said:

Thank you so much for your critique and kind words.  I've never had much confidence in my voice so that was good to hear. 

Lots of past recordings, whether or not they're nuggets is anyone's guess :D

If you search a streaming service like Spotify (or YouTube) for an album called Blanket Sound by me, they're all on there, including the original version of this song. 

They all sound a bit "thin" to me now because they weren't mastered. Also, each one is a live vocal performance because all I had was the SQ-16 and a tape recorder, so no punch in or editing. 

Some of them have their moments  :)

Keith . . . I'll surely check out Spotify . . . and as for those "thin" mixes . . . remember what Mr. Da Vinci said: "Art is never finished, only abandoned"

• Haha 1