Unusual issue with CbB and ARS3

cclarry

So, I'm doing a mix in CbB, and I want to check in Abbey Road Studio 3.  I put an
instance of ARS3 on the 2 buss, and check the mix.  Sounds ok.  So I remove ARS3.
I'm ready to export my mix.  Goes through the entire process, and then "pop".  Mind
you, I had already exported a previous mix without ARS3.  So, I go to listen to the exported mix...Pop.
That''s it.  Nothing else.  So I figure maybe the drive got "stuck".  I turn off my Axe I/O,
then restart it.  I listen to the mix again.  It's ok.  Export, and right at the end  POP - same thing. 
Listen to the exported mix "Pop".  So I revert back to a mix that I did without ARS3 on it.  Export.  Exports fine.

So, AR3 somehow corrupts the Axe I/O driver...

Pretty strange.  I even tried saving the mix, closing it, and re-opening it.  Same thing.
So, after all that work, I now have to revert to a previous version and re-do it.

Thanx ARS3!!!

Just an FYI for owners of an Axe I/O.  It may be unique to me, but never hurts to 
"be aware"!

22 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Sorry to hear that. Do you have another interface to try for verification? 

Sadly, no....

I just tried to save the Project with a new name.  Close it, and then re-open it.
Same issue.  Upon Export...Pop.

Well, I won't be using ARS3 to judge any mixes again for a while...

I sometimes have a similar thing happen but during payback rather than export. Nothing to do with ARS or your I/O because I have neither. I've never managed to narrow it down to a specific circumstance other than it's always the last thing I did (obvs). Sometimes it's a plug-in, sometimes freezing a synth. If it's a plug-in then removing it solves the problem, if a freeze then unfreezing and refreezing usually cures it but not always. On one occasion I had to copy the synth/midi to a new project, freeze it there and the import the audio back into the first project.

2 hours ago, cclarry said:

Sadly, no....

I just tried to save the Project with a new name.  Close it, and then re-open it.
Same issue.  Upon Export...Pop.

Well, I won't be using ARS3 to judge any mixes again for a while...

Hmm not even crappy onboard audio you can try? That sucks to not be able to use ARS3 after you bought it. 

• Like 1

Don't think it's AXE I/O,  I've been having issues (not the same but still odd) with IKM plugs in Cakewalk (posted about it in thread linked below) that I don't have in either Studio One or Image Line.
I tried switching back to my Quad Capture and still had same issue.

Edited by TheSteven

13 hours ago, cclarry said:

Well, I believe it is a CbB issue.  I switched ASIO Drivers and had the
same thing happen, which eliminates the Axe I/O Asio as the cause...
I tried both a Generic, and the Magix, ASIO and got the same result

Dang, I was looking to get ARS3 but now I'm not sure. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem w/ ARS3 and CbB. That might've been one reason to have posted this in the upstairs forum 😉

Do you have another daw to verify this on?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Dang, I was looking to get ARS3 but now I'm not sure. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem w/ ARS3 and CbB. That might've been one reason to have posted this in the upstairs forum 😉

Do you have another daw to verify this on?

I have just about all of them.  CbB is the only place this happens, and it's
not the first time that there has been issues between CbB and Waves.
Who is at fault is another question...

46 minutes ago, ensonced said:

I don't use CbB so . . .

Then whatchu doing here?

Just kidding brother. But that's lame and it's probably CbB to blame if Waves behaves elsewhere but no point in that exercise. I'm gonna be forced to mix on headphones primarily for a while and I really could use an app like this

8 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Then whatchu doing here?

Just kidding brother. But that's lame and it's probably CbB to blame if Waves behaves elsewhere but no point in that exercise. I'm gonna be forced to mix on headphones primarily for a while and I really could use an app like this

That's how I mix...and that's why I wanted to use it...but won't be doing that again
until I get this sorted out...

20 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Then whatchu doing here?

What's it to ya?, you got a badge or just writing a book? ;)

:) I think you would be very surprised by how many people who still visit the Cakewalk forums but no longer use SONAR/CbB,  ;)

Some, it's just for the 'social' aspect developed over the years on the old forums, others it's just or the Deals Forum.

• Like 2

Noel has said many times that one of the reasons a plugin doesn't work in CbB (or Sonar for that matter) and it will work in another DAW is that they (CbB devs) adhere more closely to Windows specs and Steinberg vst specs than other DAW's do. So when a problem occurs in CbB, it could be CbB code, but more often it's the plugin devs not following the specs as close as CbB does. So that could be why it shows in CbB and not in another DAW. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 3:33 AM, cclarry said:

Well, I believe it is a CbB issue.  I switched ASIO Drivers and had the
same thing happen, which eliminates the Axe I/O Asio as the cause.

You can always eliminate interface/driver as a cause of any bounce/freeze/export issue; they have no role in rendering audio offline (non-realtime). The only point of connection is that the ASIO buffer size currently set for realtime playback and recording is used by default as the 'chunk' size for processing audio offline.

Some things I would always try as a matter of course for issues like this are:

- Raise the ASI0 buffer size or override the default for offline processing by setting a non-zero BounceBufSizeMsec= value in AUD.INI (Preference > audio . Configuraiton File). 20  is a good starting point, and you can try up to 200.

- Disable the 64-bit Double Precision Engine.

- Freeze/Bounce any clips with un-rendered stretching or Region FX before the final export.

- As a last resort, disable Use Multiprocessing Engine (or maybe just Plugin Load Balancing if enabled).

• Like 1