I Need HELP

Willie Hayes Jr

I have had Cakewalk by Band Lab for a while. Unfortunately, I never got as far as plugging in the midi ports. I recently came across my installed program by mistake.  After a year or so, I decided to give it another try, to no avail--the complexity transcends my comprehension.  I am looking for a internet teacher, who I will pay, to take me step by step until I can record and play back my arrangements. The music part is under control (I was a US Navy guitar player--graduated from the Navy School of Music). If anyone knows of someone who gives Cakewalk lessons, please refer them to me.  I can be reached at williehayesjr@gmail.com.

Welcome, Willie.
Cakewalk is a complicated program and has a lot of 'stuff' in it that many folks will never use. Like me. I just record, mostly.
Have you downloaded the PDF help files? 

In that forum, you may get answers to specific questions, but probably not a dedicated tutor. 
What equipment do you have? Do you have an Audio Interface? Are you wanting to record audio, MIDI or a combination?
Start with the Getting Started section of the Help file, which should help you set up Cakewalk for your computer and show you the basics of how to record audio and MIDI. I don't think you need to know how to set up a side-chain EQ or edit the velocities of a MIDI track just yet.

My brother wanted to be a Navy Band guitar player, but he lacked the patience to stay in and keep trying. Instead, he became a ditty-bopper.
Good luck!

36 minutes ago, Willie Hayes Jr said:

If anyone knows of someone who gives Cakewalk lessons, please refer them to me.

Unfortunately I'm not that person. But until you do find someone, it might be worth checking out the Tutorials section of this forum. In particular there are a load of videos on the very basics in the Getting Started thread.

There are more here on Creative Sauces' YouTube channel. 

Welcome to the Forum and good luck with your search.

to 57Gregy: I have a Casio Privia (which is a midi device) and the free cakewalk program. My biggest problem is getting the Cakewalk program to recognize the input device, which none is listed (edit, preference, Audio, Device--which none are listed. Shouldn't there be my, at least, my Casio listed. How do I check to see if my midi controler (Casio, Privia) is listed as an input device?

to Wibbles: I will check out the Turorials as soon as I can get Cakewalk to recognize my Casio as an input controller.

15 minutes ago, Willie Hayes Jr said:

How do I check to see if my midi controler (Casio, Privia) is listed as an input device?

Instead of edit, preference, Audio, Device check edit, preference, MIDI, Device and make sure it is selected.

5 hours ago, Willie Hayes Jr said:

rcklln, I checked the midi device from the preference menu, and in both input and output "USB MIDI is, in fact selected or checked.  Shouldn't the name of my input device (Casio Privia--the midi piano I have) be an option?

Not having  that keyboard myself that is tough to say, but USB MIDI may very well be referring to the Casio Privia. In your response to 57Gregy you said nothing is showing up in audio devices and that would be an issue. What audio device are you using? In other words, do you have a separate external audio interface connected to a USB or Firewire port on your PC or are you using the internal audio chip of the PC? As a basic test, can you import an audio file into a new Cakewalk project (Use File-->Import-->Audio or just drag the file into the project), hit play and hear it?

Edited by rcklln
Because I can

There doesn't seem to be any USB driver for this keyboard. Their support page reads, "The USB ports on all Casio keyboards are class-compliant." I have no experience using those stock USB drivers, but reading these forums for a few years, I get the impression that they aren't good.
Well-written drivers are pretty important for computer-based music production. 

If the piano has MIDI ports as well as the USB port, I would consider getting an audio interface that also has MIDI port, that way you won't need well-written Privia drivers, which don't exist, just the drivers for the AI.

• Like 1

It makes sense the Casio is a class compliant device. There is no need for a special driver for USB connected MIDI controllers. Audio interfaces are another matter, they should have a manufacturer supplied ASIO driver.

Cakewalk has no idea what make or model the MIDI keyboard is. It only knows there is a MIDI device connected to the PC using a class compliant driver.

22 hours ago, Willie Hayes Jr said:

I have a Casio Privia (which is a midi device) and the free cakewalk program. My biggest problem is getting the Cakewalk program to recognize the input device, which none is listed (edit, preference, Audio, Device--which none are listed. Shouldn't there be my, at least, my Casio listed. How do I check to see if my midi controler (Casio, Privia) is listed as an input device?

If you do not have a dedicated audio interface, you will need to setup CbB to use the PC integrated audio chip.

The instructions to do so are here

If you are running Win10 in step 3 of the instructions for better preformance try the WASAPI modes instead of MME

Here is a similar thread about getting started

• Like 1

to Raklln: I am using the internal audio chip of the PC? Would you recommend I use a separate external audio interface connected to a USB or Firewire port? Moreover, all of the demo files play just great--and that is what is so perplexing. Perhaps I will try to manipulate those demo songs by adding another track.

to 57Gregy: could you recommend  an  inexpensive audio interface (hopefully your are talking about a PCI card)? I am not ready to invest too much money on something that does not even give me the basics.

Quick note: I just tried to record with my keyboard and forgot, after playing DCS F18, to disconnect the USB Headphone/Microphone. The microphone part was directly over the piano speaker. In the input and output audio drivers (see attachment), I had my Plantronic Headphones/Microphone selected. Lo and behold, I got sound sound. Now, do I have to use the microphone whenever I want to record. In addition I tried recording with another instrument on the keyboard (strings) and I got strings. I guess my next question is, can I record into cakewalk with a direct connection from the piano rather than using the microphone.

to all: the last two comments I did not answer because this new development may cause a reconsideration of opinions, i.e., I get input signals, just not from the piano, but rather recorded microphone inputs.  Thanks you guys so much for your help.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

to Jim Fogle: I have a Casio, Privia and it says stereo sampling PX-400R.

to scook: I will certainly follow the instructions which setup CbB to use the PC integrated audio chip.

There was no mention of the headphone/mic combo which is an audio interface as far as CbB is concerned. It may be the only audio input device unless the PC has a line or mic input.

The Casio USB is MIDI only.

If you wish to use the Casio sounds, you will need an audio interface to connect the Casio line outs to the PC. If you get an audio interface forget about the headphone/mic combo (probably a good long term plan anyway).

Or just use the Casio for MIDI and use the sound sources (aka softsynths) bundled with CbB along with the hundreds of free and commercial plug-ins available on the internet.

You will want one with MIDI ports, if the piano has them. I think that's easier than trying to set up a USB keyboard, especially with all the strangeness I see going on with USB keyboards in the General forum here.
Most audio interfaces these days are USB and have good drivers. Some are cheap in one way or the other. I bought a Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 recently. It was $230. There are less expensive ones, especially on the used market. Just make sure they are still supported by their manufactures, i.e. have drivers for the current version of Windows.
Go to guitarcenter.com or musiciansfriend.com and check out what they have.
For getting started, you can use the internal if you want, but for better recordings and ability to overdub audio in real time without Latency, you will eventually want an interface. They're just some much better.
Where do you live? I'm in N.C.

Hey guys. I just called Casio's help desk, and they said that my keyboard (Casio Privia PX-400R--which is more than 10 years old) is not compatible with Windows 10 and there is no audio driver written for that interface. He suggested that I get to an older computer, with Windows 7 or XP and then download an audio driver for either of those Operation Systems.  Does this sound right coming from a Casio Tech personnel?  Are any of you using Windows 10 and Casio Privia PX 400R?