High Road

dcumpian

Dan . . . mix wise you surely know what you're doing . . . but also it is a very powerful and insightful piece of music you've created here, amazing stuff !

My BFD3 drums never sound as crisp and balanced as you've accomplished here, so I'll swing by for many more listens.

23 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I really enjoyed listening to this - there's a lot going on in the mix.  I've never used BFD drums - I'll have to check it out.

Excellent mix - quite a bit of depth and well-balanced.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the listen and your kind comments!

Dan

8 hours ago, noynekker said:

Dan . . . mix wise you surely know what you're doing . . . but also it is a very powerful and insightful piece of music you've created here, amazing stuff !

My BFD3 drums never sound as crisp and balanced as you've accomplished here, so I'll swing by for many more listens.

Thank you very much for the compliments! I'm truly glad that you enjoyed the music!

To get your drums to sound like this, I mostly just use the Waves SSL G channel strip. It's magical.

Dan

Really enjoyed listening to this, Dan.

It sounds really polished - nice writing, tightly recorded, mix sounds good to my ears. Holds interest all the way through, with lots of nice little details -- in particular, I really liked the ending, with the gradual emergence of the hand drums to close out the piece. Great.

Rob  

Edited by Amicus717

21 hours ago, Amicus717 said:

Really enjoyed listening to this, Dan.

It sounds really polished - nice writing, tightly recorded, mix sounds good to my ears. Holds interest all the way through, with lots of nice little details -- in particular, I really liked the ending, with the gradual emergence of the hand drums to close out the piece. Great.

Rob  

Thanks Rob! I wasn't sure how the ending would be received so I'm glad to hear you liked it!

Dan

On 2/1/2020 at 9:35 PM, synkrotron said:

Hi Dan :)

I listened to High Road and realised how much I am missing listening to your stuff, amongst others, here in the Songs forum.

A great composition... Very uplifting. I really enjoyed the listen 👍

cheers

andy

Thank you Andy! Good to see your are still around these parts!

Dan

I like this style of composition. You are very good with the drums programming and parts layering. Omnisphere is an amazing kit of sounds to work with.

I love BFD3 as well. 

The music doesn't take any unexpected departures. Having said that, I think you do a lot with it!

I thought the cymbals were just a little too much panned, especially the left cymbal channel. As a suggestion, maybe let just a little bleed through come over to the right channel for the cymbals. This would give it more space and still retain the left/right feel.

22 hours ago, Starise said:

I like this style of composition. You are very good with the drums programming and parts layering. Omnisphere is an amazing kit of sounds to work with.

I love BFD3 as well. 

The music doesn't take any unexpected departures. Having said that, I think you do a lot with it!

I thought the cymbals were just a little too much panned, especially the left cymbal channel. As a suggestion, maybe let just a little bleed through come over to the right channel for the cymbals. This would give it more space and still retain the left/right feel.

You're right about the cymbals, but it isn't just the panning. Normally, I run the cymbals through a room reverb to make them a little less distinct. Been so long I forgot to do this, lol.

Thanks for the listen!

Dan

This is an excellent composition and recording Dan! Very professional sounding mix as with all of your recordings.

You manage to keep it interesting throughout and it's like listening to an epic saga in music form.

I can imagine playing this while journeying through the Fjords or some other mountainous locations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZincT said:

This is an excellent composition and recording Dan! Very professional sounding mix as with all of your recordings.

You manage to keep it interesting throughout and it's like listening to an epic saga in music form.

I can imagine playing this while journeying through the Fjords or some other mountainous locations.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your comments!

Dan