High Road

dcumpian

Very nice, almost said beautiful, but I think majestic fits better.
Big cinematic sound stage, I really liked that!
A lot going on, everything in its place across the stereo image and frequency range; balanced probably best describes it.
Well done!
Maybe you would care to share some of the libraries you used?

Tom

Also, very much enjoyed the "intimate" feel of After the Snow.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Very nice, almost said beautiful, but I think majestic fits better.
Big cinematic sound stage, I really liked that!
A lot going on, everything in its place across the stereo image and frequency range; balanced probably best describes it.
Well done!
Maybe you would care to share some of the libraries you used?

Tom

Also, very much enjoyed the "intimate" feel of After the Snow.

Thanks Tom!

For this piece, except for the drums, pianos, guitars and organ, it is all Omnisphere. The drums were BFD3, pianos were two Kontakt libraries and Ivory II (Bosendorfer). The organ is the vintage organ library in NI Komplete (Kontakt), which I find fills a lot of roles in a single package. All of the guitars, except the lead, were me and my Fender.

Dan

Hi Dan,

High Road is fantastic! The song, playing, arrangement and mix/production are all stellar to my ears. I've also being away for awhile but I remember being super impressed by your song Airshow. Not sure how long ago that was, though. At any rate, welcome back and great to hear your music again.

gary

• Thanks 1

HI Dan.
I was only thinking I hadn,t heard from you for quite a while... then here you are.  🙂

I have learnt a lot from your mixing skills over the years.
The sense of space and clarity you create is top notch.

I recognized Omnisphere and the kontakt stuff but not the guitars.
BFD3 sounds great!  (I just got the decades pack... so just learning how to use BFD3)

Well done...  looking forward to hearing some more ear candy from you again.

Edited by garybrun
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Dan
I recognized High Road as something from you since I think you have a signature sound/style to your music. Just sit back, relax, let the music take hold and you won't be disappointed. The mix sounds really good to my ear.  

Welcome back!

Bjorn

Thank you Bjorn! I really appreciate it!

Dan

1 hour ago, geeare1 said:

Hi Dan,

High Road is fantastic! The song, playing, arrangement and mix/production are all stellar to my ears. I've also being away for awhile but I remember being super impressed by your song Airshow. Not sure how long ago that was, though. At any rate, welcome back and great to hear your music again.

gary

Would you believe "Airshow" was April of 2017?  Sure doesn't feel like that long ago, lol.  Thanks for the listen and the kind words!

Dan

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, garybrun said:

HI Dan.
I was only thinking I hadn,t heard from you for quite a while... then here you are.  🙂

I have learnt a lot from your mixing skills over the years.
The sense of space and clarity you create is top notch.

I recognized Omnisphere and the kontakt stuff but not the guitars.
BFD3 sounds great!  (I just got the decades pack... so just learning how to use BFD3)

Well done...  looking forward to hearing some more ear candy from you again.

BFD3 is, by far, my favorite drum VSTi.  I like the detailed control I have over the kits.  Having said that, I have never used Superior Drummer, and many folks have commented on how good it is.  I do have Addictive (of course), and Steven Slate's SSD4 and now SSD5.  I like SSD, but the feel I can get out of BFD3 makes them more real to my ears.

Hopefully, it won't be another year before the next one, lol.

Thanks for listening and I appreciate your comments. We all learn from each other, that's for sure.

Dan

I also have BFD3. SSD5 and Trigger.
Superior Drummer 3 I am really pleased with and find it logical and sounds great.
But I am just learning drum programming.

I have not really done much with my own music but enjoy mixing a lot.
Most of my work is within live sound and TV/video,
Since I joined Cakewalk many moons ago... I have learnt so much from here.

I am now retired and have a modest studio set up here above my stables and need to work on some of my own stuff that I wrote when I was 19+ which I never got to put down.

All the best.

Gary

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Hi Dan,

So much in there but never too much and over busy,  everything so well ballanced,  production perfect, so much depth , just really great  cheers PB

Thanks Paul! Trimming back is hard! You'll hear that every chorus/verse is always just a little different...that's because I removed stuff from "here" that I leave in "there". It adds variety, and I don't have to completely kill something that I liked, lol.

Dan

2 hours ago, Keith Wilby said:

Love it, very professional. I have a pet hate of chattering hi-hats but you have buried them in the mix very well.

Ha, ha, you should have heard the hats in the first mix, lol.  Thanks for the listen and your comments!

Dan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesse Screed said:

The return of the Man, the Dan.

Epic Regal Expansive

Better than Mannheim Steamroller

Hiya Jesse! Thanks for the comments, though, I doubt it's better than Mannheim, lol.  I am glad the epic, or majestic feel came through. It's a reflection of how I feel riding a motorcycle through the mountains.

Dan

Yesssss. Don't be a stranger!  Hope your time away was for good things. Great dynamics in this piece. I liked the synth arpegg noodle around 1:00 mark. Catchy. As per your usual, many elements come and go and are balanced to mix perfection.

The only thing I might ask about is adding some more low end weight to the toms, bass, and kick. As they are, very polished and controlled. Nothing up top is overwhelmed by mud. So kudos there. And it might be just me because I really like bass-end stuff. But I think just a bit more heft, even if it were just the tom fills, might be interesting to try. 

It's all so subjective. And you certainly got your $$$ worth out of Omnisphere! Do you have Omni 1 or 2? I just have 1, never upgraded, always wondered of 2 was worth it.

Lastly, the guitar work is spot on for that grand epic atmosphere, good power there, well done!

great to have you and your tunes back, Dan!

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, emeraldsoul said:

Yesssss. Don't be a stranger!  Hope your time away was for good things. Great dynamics in this piece. I liked the synth arpegg noodle around 1:00 mark. Catchy. As per your usual, many elements come and go and are balanced to mix perfection.

The only thing I might ask about is adding some more low end weight to the toms, bass, and kick. As they are, very polished and controlled. Nothing up top is overwhelmed by mud. So kudos there. And it might be just me because I really like bass-end stuff. But I think just a bit more heft, even if it were just the tom fills, might be interesting to try. 

It's all so subjective. And you certainly got your $$$ worth out of Omnisphere! Do you have Omni 1 or 2? I just have 1, never upgraded, always wondered of 2 was worth it.

Lastly, the guitar work is spot on for that grand epic atmosphere, good power there, well done!

great to have you and your tunes back, Dan!

-Tom

Building a new house, including a media room/studio. Stocking/setting up said media room (which was a lot of fun!). Finally, I bought a new motorcycle a couple of years ago so I've been spending a lot of time doing that, as well as building and setting up a shop for it. Just a lot of non-music activity, lol.

Omni 2, with a bunch of extras, including Trilian and Keyscape.

I had to cut the rumble in those toms as they were a little overpowering, but I added back some in the low mids. The real thing that I think would add some heft is another, deeper kick layered on top of the one in the kit, but, to be honest, I'm anxious to move on to the next one, and I'm pretty happy with what's there ;)

Thanks a bunch for the feedback!

• Like 1