"Clarinet Study Number Two"

Larry Graham Alexander

On 1/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, amiller said:

I love the melodies and arrangement.  Well done!😊👍

It's not an arrangement.  It is an original composition.  An arrangement means utilizing someone else's music creation and putting a different slant

on it, including writing variations on their melodies, rhythms, key signature, etc.  If you write an arrangement of a person's tune you must first

seek his or her permission. 

Regards,

Larry Graham Alexander

I have no idea what your message means.  You have totally misunderstood me.

What I said in my message above is the absolute truth.  I am a composer of original music AND arranger, that is I write arrangements of music that I originally did not compose.  These two are related but they are still different in concept and in action.  You can COMPOSE  original music and you can also ARRANGE other people's music.  These facts have been around as long as music has been in existence.

Larry Graham Alexander

Edited by Larry Graham Alexander

I think we have here a classic example of what in General Semantics is referred to as "Bypassing."

Haney (1992) explained this phenomenon as bypassing: “the listener presumably heard the same words that the speaker said, but the communicators seem to have talked past each other” (p. 268). The listener and speaker act as if the words mean the same thing to each person, but their interpretations are different.

When I read this,

On 1/18/2020 at 11:47 AM, amiller said:

I love the melodies and arrangement.  Well done!😊👍

I understood "arrangement" to refer to the way LGA arranged his [implied: own, original] melodies.

When I read this,

On 1/20/2020 at 3:25 PM, Larry Graham Alexander said:

It's not an arrangement.  It is an original composition.

I understood "arrangement" to refer to the the song as a whole (an arrangement [implied: of someone else's material].

JMO: I don't think amiller was saying it was an arrangement as opposed to a composition, but rather that the statement was about the way the melodic material was arranged/handled/treated/etc.

Sorry for the interruption. Carry on.

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, User 905133 said:

I think we have here a classic example of what in General Semantics is referred to as "Bypassing."

When I read this,

I understood "arrangement" to refer to the way LGA arranged his [implied: own, original] melodies.

When I read this,

I understood "arrangement" to refer to the the song as a whole (an arrangement [implied: of someone else's material].

JMO: I don't think amiller was saying it was an arrangement as opposed to a composition, but rather that the statement was about the way the melodic material was arranged/handled/treated/etc.

Sorry for the interruption. Carry on.

Thank you

Edited by amiller