How to make a living playing music:

Notes_Norton

1.    Play what the people want to hear

2.    Pace the audience. Play the right songs at the right time so the audience has the best possible experience

3.    Play at the volume that is appropriate for the gig

4.    Never-ever, cancel, call in sick, show up late, or take long breaks - the show must go on

5.    If the place is jumping play a little extra, skip a break, and even play a little late if it's OK with the owner

6.    Play for the house or the entertainment purchaser. Put yourself in his/her shoes and do what you would want the band to do if you hired the band

7.    Dress appropriately and be friendly and easy to work with

8.    Do your best whether there is 1 customer or 10,000, and always strive to be better than your competition

This has worked for me since 1964. I've never been out of work unless I was between bands or turning down gigs for my annual vacation.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2020 at 10:07 AM, Notes_Norton said:

5.    If the place is jumping play a little extra, skip a break, and even play a little late if it's OK with the owner

This. Want more tips? Bigger average tips? Then don't take breaks. Run your marathon. The audience will acknowledge and reward your workaday ethic.

It takes 5 minutes once in a while to get a glass of water or go to the bathroom. Not 25 minutes every hour to lounge about the place in some self-important "look at me, the artiste must find the strength again" pretention.

• Like 1

I've seen musicians go to a jam session and play 3 hours for free with no break. Then when they get a paying gig they want a 20 minute break per hour and then stretch that to 25 minutes. It doesn't make sense to me.

We seldom take breaks finding it easier to control the audience if we stay up there. On slow nights we might, but we very seldom get a slow night.

4.    Never-ever, cancel, call in sick, show up late, or take long breaks - the show must go on

The person who hired you might not know good music from bad, but I bet he/she knows how to tell time and wants to get his/her money's worth.

Notes