Music related question .... ..... sort of

SteveStrummerUK

13 hours ago, antler said:

I find the treble clef easier to read as well, but that might be to do with the fact that I first learned to read music that used the treble clef exclusively. Thing is though, the centre 'spiral' of the treble clef doesn't just denote the line its on to be G, it means it's the G above middle C: two staffs using the treble clef (even if glued together) would suggest that both melodies should be played in the same octave, although you could use the octave modifier.

Exactly.  Or whatever new "rule" would be necessary to the purists out there, to designate the lower set of lines as the "bass".  The point being that using the same notes for the respective staff lines, would make reading the two stalves far easier.

18 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Those are the ones I call "TROUBLE Clefs"

Nope! 🤔 🤨🙄

The top two are the Trouble clefs, see below.

TroubleClefs.jpg.5f7ca4708c4d19bffd28945af83152c7.jpg

I think that they are some sort of recorder (Blockflöte) rather than the flute we know. The other scores are marked "Traverso".

The next two, so I'm told, are " Violinschlussel." (pronounced "vee-oh-leen-sh-luss-ehl".

Edited by JohnG

Having two ledger lines between the staves might be confusing, especially with handwritten charts. Let me see, is that a C or an A, is it closer to the treble or bass clef? And would you put the B below the C ledger or above the A ledger?

But I still agree, it would be easier for me who only occasionally has a reason to read the bass clef.

And if any instrument needs one of the TROUBLE clefs, I don't want to learn to read on that one.

Bites