Music related question .... ..... sort of

SteveStrummerUK

This bearded guy in a horse-drawn cart caught me outside and gave me this.  He said I had to pass it on to others.

"You have just received the Amish Virus. Since we do not have electricity or computers, you are on the honor system. 

Please delete all of your files. 

Thank thee."

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

Yes but............................they don't horse around. 

Here's an unlisted vid of one of my friends down the street. This was a vid taken to show a horse for sale. The carbon foot print is really low. Just a few plops a day. Makes pretty decent metronome. I'm outta puff here since I ran to the location.

Edited by Starise

For you piano players in the crowd, did you ever think they made a mistake using the G-clef and Bass-clef for the stalves with the single ledger line between the two stalves?

So let me explain what just always seem to be the logical way sheet music SHOULD have been printed.

G-clef on the top and another, but lower, G-clef below, with 2 ledger lines between the stalves.  THEN, reading the sheet music would have identical stalves for the treble and bass and trying to figure out two different stalves would have been eliminated.  It would make reading music a breeze since both would be the same, and separated by 2 octaves.  It would have looked like this:

F________________

D________________

B________________

G________________

E________________

___C___

___A___

F________________

D________________

B________________

G________________

E________________

Have you any idea how much easier this would be for both kids and adults when learning to read sheet music?  The Bass Clef in the lower hand (as it always has been) is not at all intuitive.  If they had just added one additional ledger line (the A-note below middle C) between the treble and bass stalves, you'd have what I just printed and it would be EASY to read and learn to sight-read.

In fact, all existing published music could be redone and published on the new system making life easier.  Why not start now?  😀

Edited by Toddskins

On 1/16/2020 at 8:02 PM, Toddskins said:

For you piano players in the crowd, did you ever think they made a mistake using the G-clef and Bass-clef for the stalves with the single ledger line between the two stalves?

So let me explain what just always seem to be the logical way sheet music SHOULD have been printed.

G-clef on the top and another, but lower, G-clef below, with 2 ledger lines between the stalves.  THEN, reading the sheet music would have identical stalves for the treble and bass and trying to figure out two different stalves would have been eliminated.  It would make reading music a breeze since both would be the same, and separated by 2 octaves.  It would have looked like this:

F________________

D________________

B________________

G________________

E________________

___C___

___A___

F________________

D________________

B________________

G________________

E________________

Have you any idea how much easier this would be for both kids and adults when learning to read sheet music?  The Bass Clef in the lower hand (as it always has been) is not at all intuitive.  If they had just added one additional ledger line (the A-note below middle C) between the treble and bass stalves, you'd have what I just printed and it would be EASY to read and learn to sight-read.

In fact, all existing published music could be redone and published on the new system making life easier.  Why not start now?  😀

EXACTLY!!!

It was a stupid idea to make the clefs different. I have no need to read bass clef much, but when I do, it really slows me down at first. Arrrrrrgggggghhhhh another clinker.

But what is even worse are the alto and other weird clefs. I call them trouble clefs.

Notes

I find the treble clef easier to read as well, but that might be to do with the fact that I first learned to read music that used the treble clef exclusively. Thing is though, the centre 'spiral' of the treble clef doesn't just denote the line its on to be G, it means it's the G above middle C: two staffs using the treble clef (even if glued together) would suggest that both melodies should be played in the same octave, although you could use the octave modifier.

Be very, VERY grateful that you didn't live in the baroque era, see below.

SATBclefs.jpg.82b1afb4580691a7e07b10cd58c61b89.jpg

I've also observed the G-clef being used on the bottom line, the F-clef on the top line and ... the C-clef on every single line of the stave (not all at once).  😉

Not to mention the following monstrosity from Rossini:

WillTell.thumb.jpg.ef8d1b0bce983fb6bf91baa90f3883d3.jpg