Acoustic Guitar VST required

Tezza

Lately, I've been transcribing my acoustic guitar bits to midi and playing them back through jazz guitar in kontakt with guitar rig. The sound is ok but of course electric. This is not so bad since my acoustic guitar style is mainly grabbed chords and finger picking jazz style, with the occasional strummed chord. I don't have an acoustic guitar in my collection.

So far, the best I've found for the style I play and in terms of price is:

https://www.ilyaefimov.com/products/acoustic-guitars/acoustic-guitar.html

The price is 99 Euro, which equates to about $160.00 aus.

I was wondering if anyone else has any ideas about what might be a good option. I don't want a strumming guitar sound or thin sounding picking and would like to keep the price down if possible. If anyone  has any other ideas or can point me in the right direction it would be most appreciated.

Also, if anyone has used illya efimov guitars and knows the install and has an opinion on them that would also be handy, I cannot find information about the install and authorization procedure.

Edited by Tezza

11 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The Amplesound guitars sound fantastic.

They do a free version of their Martin acoustic (same sound, just less articulations than the paid for version): https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=7

Thanks Mark, yes they sound good but a bit on the expensive side for me, $169.00 US, $245.00AUS, the free one also has some other limitations:

AGM Comparison.jpg

7 hours ago, jude77 said:

Indiginus Renegade Acoustic. 

This is well worth a look.  $69 USD (roughly $100 AUS).

https://www.indiginus.com/renegade_acoustic.html

Hadn't seen this, very interesting, the controls are phenomenal, the way they implement the articulations and keyswitches etc are excellent, more options for control over sound than I've seen anywhere else, 12 string, power chords etc good strumming engine as well. Sound quality is really good as well. Price is excellent. On the short list. Requires full version of Kontakt but that's ok I have that. Possibly a little brighter than I was seeking but the sound quality between all of these paid products seems to be more around personal preference than sampling quality, they all sound really good to me.

Edited by Tezza

Realitone's Acoustic Lite is presently on sale for $24.95. 

Here are some free downloads from Indiginus as well as their $59 US nylon string acoustic , $45 US jangly steel string acoustic and another $59 US steel string acoustic .  Each guitar sounds different and the user interface differs from plain to great.

@jude77, please forgive me for threading on your post.

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, razor7music said:

I have NI's Session Guitarist Strummed Acoustic 2. I've just messed with it on the surface, but there are a lot of granular controls to customize the strumming patterns and humanize it the way you want. NI sells the picked version too, though I don't have that one. There are demos! 🙂

I've got Komplete ultimate 10 and attempted to upgrade to 12 using the hard drive option but it didn't work for me because it still needed a huge download (whats the point of offering the hard drive option?). Native Access has destroyed any hope of me using NI products again unfortunately otherwise, this problem would have been done and dusted long ago. I need to be able to go into town and use their blistering speed internet connection to download the product in full and then transfer it to my offline DAW as I don't have a good internet connection where I live, I can't do this with Native Non-Access as you have to download it to your DAW directly. I'm also after a specific type of finger picking sound.

• Sad 1

On 1/17/2020 at 7:33 PM, Jim Fogle said:

Here are some free downloads from Indiginus as well as their $59 US nylon string acoustic , $45 US jangly steel string acoustic and another $59 US steel string acoustic .  Each guitar sounds different and the user interface differs from plain to great.

Absolutely, you brought good stuff to this post.

• Thanks 1

On 1/18/2020 at 12:03 PM, Jim Fogle said:

Thanks, didn't know about this, they also have a finger picking pattern player for $79.00 US but they don't show it's features as a sample player which is what I'm primarily looking for. I've dropped them an email to clarify this.

That Acoustic Lite sounds really good for $24.95!

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Bill Phillips said:

I have AAS GS-2. I think it's an upgrade of a version that was bundled with SONAR at some point. AAS has discounted pricing several times a year.

Thanks, had a look at this, small download (78mb). Acoustic modelling. I think it fails a little as a dedicated traditional acoustic guitar from what I've heard but it has many possibilities for both electric and acoustic and the sound quality, although different, is excellent. This would be a great way to incorporate unusual guitar sounds into a modern production. They also have a sale on at the moment, 50% off, so I've bounced it over to the deals section. I am enticed to get it because although it won't fill the gap for a traditional acoustic for me, the high quality sounds and plentiful variations it has could really have an application in music.

• Like 1

Another free, modeled guitar VST2 is Spicy Guitar.  The Spicy Guitar website appears to be down but a good description of the VST along with a video link is available here:  http://www.vst4you.com/pages/vst instruments/spicy guitar.html

Here is a link to the rar archive file which includes both 32 and 64 bit versions of the plugin:  Spicy Guitar.rar

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply's guy's, this has helped me out a lot. At the moment the Indiginus Renegade Acoustic is at the top of my list. They are also offering good support as I contacted them and they respond quickly whereas a couple of others I contacted haven't bothered to get back to me.

I think the strumming engine in this is good as well because it's not a pattern player based on chord samples but rather plays midi files for it's patterns, in other words it's playing the individual samples from midi files. It sounds very authentic which leads me to believe that my midi based strum patterns will also sound good. It's also easy to set up your own patterns with your own chords which you can change via the fretboard, so any voicing you can conceive can be played and also incorporated into the pattern player.  There are ten slots so basically, you can take your song with whatever chord voicings you want and program those into the slots and then use either the pattern player or trigger your own up/down strums etc through midi. You can also program your own patterns into the pattern player if you want. All this means I should be able to program my acoustic guitar rhythm tracks exactly the same as my real acoustic strummed tracks (which can be odd timings, voicings etc). 

Finger picking sounds are excellent and I like the way articulations are implemented everything is there and if you want to be lazy you can set up the articulations based on velocity value or key switches from midi. The faux 12 string mode is also good. The option of power chords is also really good, these focus on the bottom 3 strings to add emphasis.. GUI looks fairly simple and logical. To me it sounds fine, better than my recordings of acoustic but without the fret buzz, string imbalance and ring, dodgy timing and the dog barking in the background..

I think it's an excellent strummer and also finger picker as well. So unless something amazing happens between now and tomorrow this is it I think.

I like the Indiginus libraries as well for the kind of thing I do. Haven't bought an acoustic library yet because I feel guilty having guitars hanging all over my walls :0

I just wanted to add one more source to look into. Kontakt Hub has a lot to offer and you could buy several of their libraries for less than one library from a few of the others. I listened to several of the demos and was quite impressed, especially given the prices..........not sure if it's what you're looking for specifically.

Here's the link- KONTAKT HUB GUITARS

Edited by Starise
  • Thanks 1

Anyone have demos they've done themselves of any of these synths?  I'd be interested to hear how they sound in the hands of ordinary mortals with middling keyboard skills and limited patience for tweaking synth parameters.  ;^)

I occasionally write stuff on the piano that lends itself to finger-style guitar.  Here's an old example:

Red Mountain Reel

Pretty sure this used an Alesis QS-8/QSR patch called 'Quiet Time' with very little processing.

• Like 2

Nice David!

I have not done any of this kind of thing yet. I am not the best guitarist because I haven't been practicing lately. Time is important. I might resort to something like this in the future if I just can't play it and /or it makes a song construction process faster.