40% off Steinberg Nuendo 10

cclarry

The Cubase crossgrade also requires you give up your Cubase license completely.  Which I'm not willing to do.  They were talking about how Nuendo and Cubase would be in sync featurewise going forward starting with Cubase 10/Nuendo 10, then when Cubase 10.5 shipped they pretty much had to admit that wasn't going to be true.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

The Cubase crossgrade also requires you give up your Cubase license completely.  Which I'm not willing to do.  They were talking about how Nuendo and Cubase would be in sync featurewise going forward starting with Cubase 10/Nuendo 10, then when Cubase 10.5 shipped they pretty much had to admit that wasn't going to be true.

Yes...that's a deal breaker right there...

The question is should I just get a full copy of Nuendo for $588 (if you don't need a eLicenser this $615.99 deal is cheaper)?  I'd like to have some of the features in Nuendo but I'm not willing to give up the workflow/UI improvements in Cubase 10.5 to get it.  Trying to keep both apps is likely to be more trouble than it's worth really (not to mention the expense).  Steinberg really doesn't make it easy to be their customer.

• Like 2

I missed the discounted crossgrade to Cubase from Cakewalk back when opting to get Samplitude ProX of which there is a lot I like.  But it hasn't caused me to dedicate myself to one DAW like I was hoping.

I own WaveLab 10, SpectraLayers 6, & Absolute 3 so I emailed SB about expanding the crossgrade offer of $400 which might be tempting but I'm not sure it would push me over the edge even then.

FYI, Nuendo/Cubase Comparison

EDIT: my current options as a new user would be

Cubase Competitive Crossgrade $367.98
Nuendo New (currently) $588
Nuendo Competitive Crossgrade $700 (without eLicenser) 😊

Edited by Fwrend

When tempted by Nuendo remember the recurring [optional] upgrade costs. I think that is a reason Cubase license is not included in Nuendo, it's a trap designed to keep you paying for Nuendo upgrades or [re]purchase Cubase, as many new Nuendo users probably would figure Cubase already did everything they need and is cheaper to maintain. Whatever, I really love Cubase and I doubt Nuendo is any worse if you need the surround audio or video editing facilities and can afford it.

They are great programs with a luddite business model . If it weren't for that I would own a Steinberg product. I still might one day if they can ever see a way to make it easier to own the products for the average guy. I'm not going to spend 3X what any other DAW costs.....or downplay the massive capability we get in CbB for FREE.

I get to bake a cake and the ingredients are free.

Yes, Steinberg seems a bit backwards in some respects. But to me the conservativeness may well be one of their major attractions. Stability has also been top-notch.

What I don't like - and this is not just a Steinberg problem but a general trend - is how the increases in pixel count on our displays seem to inversely correlate with practical utilization of said pixels, i.e. the more we get, the more bullshit gets drawn onto my workspace (in proportion to useful things). I don't want round corners, smooth gradients and touchable-sized buttons - I want more useful information on the screen at any one time. Sometimes I swear the UI's have devolved to a point where I used to have more functionality 15 years ago on a 1680x1050 screen than I do now on 2560x1600. Steinberg seems to be guilty of this trend, although many players are doing much worse. Dear UI-designing hipsters, please give me back my non-metrosexual bureaucratic 90's desktop.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Question, I usually use ProTools when putting audio on video, like the recent Westworld contest.  Does Cubase do this? It looks like you can import video, remove the audio from it, and add your own audio. But does it export as a movie/mp4 file?  Looking at the comparison between the two versions, I'm not even sure Nuendo does yet either.  I will stick with PT otherwise.  There is very little I need in Nuendo. 

27 minutes ago, Dzilizzi said:

Question, I usually use ProTools when putting audio on video, like the recent Westworld contest.  Does Cubase do this? It looks like you can import video, remove the audio from it, and add your own audio. But does it export as a movie/mp4 file?  Looking at the comparison between the two versions, I'm not even sure Nuendo does yet either.  I will stick with PT otherwise.  There is very little I need in Nuendo. 

yes you can do this - but export options are limited...and it's windows 10 only

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dzilizzi said:

I did my entry for the WestWorld contest completely on CbB. As long as you export into the correct format, I works great. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, simon said:

yes you can do this - but export options are limited...and it's windows 10 only

Good to know.  I was hearing some things that made me wonder.  I couldn't believe that Cubase didn't offer the option but I don't see it in my version (CB 10 Pro).  In 2 years, my perpetual ProTools license runs out - I bought 3 years worth last June before the price change.   I refuse to trade in my perpetual license for an annual upgrade, but I'm not happy enough with any other DAW to totally dump it yet.  But Avid is making it really expensive to continue with the perpetual.