40% off Steinberg Nuendo 10

cclarry

9 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

I did my entry for the WestWorld contest completely on CbB. As long as you export into the correct format, I works great. 

I've been so-so on CbB because it seemed like you had to be online to use it.  But I just checked it out and it will run locally on my computer.  Has it improved much since Platinum?

3 hours ago, Dzilizzi said:

I've been so-so on CbB because it seemed like you had to be online to use it.  But I just checked it out and it will run locally on my computer.  Has it improved much since Platinum?

Oh yes. There are some great new features such as ripple. Only downside is that there isn't a staged learning tool to get new and old users up to speed on all the new developments. I'm sure I'm missing out on a ton of stuff simply because there isn't a logical learning tool to take you through each new thing.

Or maybe I just don't know where to find it...🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dzilizzi said:

Good to know.  I was hearing some things that made me wonder.  I couldn't believe that Cubase didn't offer the option but I don't see it in my version (CB 10 Pro).

I think the export function arrived with version 10.5 ?

21 hours ago, Dzilizzi said:

I've been so-so on CbB because it seemed like you had to be online to use it.  

You only have to be online once every six months to escape falling into demo mode IIRC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bapu said:
21 hours ago, Dzilizzi said:

I've been so-so on CbB because it seemed like you had to be online to use it.  

You only have to be online once every six months to escape falling into demo mode IIRC.

Also, as from the last 2020.05 version, you can use off-line authorization using a USB flash drive and a separate internet connected computer.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

42 minutes ago, Canopus said:

Also, as from the last 2020.05 version, you can use off-line authorization using a USB flash drive and a separate internet connected computer.

51 minutes ago, Bapu said:

My computer is online for registrations, so that isn't the problem.  I was just trying to figure out how to download it and it seemed the actual DAW was online only.  As in not local to the computer.  That is a no-go for me.  The lag time would be bad.  

16 minutes ago, Dzilizzi said:

My computer is online for registrations, so that isn't the problem.  I was just trying to figure out how to download it and it seemed the actual DAW was online only.  As in not local to the computer.  That is a no-go for me.  The lag time would be bad.  

No, that’s not the case. Cakewalk by BandLab runs perfectly well offline with all files stored locally. Maybe you were thinking about the cloud based BandLab product? Similar names but oh so different feature sets.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dave Maffris said:

Competitive crossgrade for owners of Sonar Platinum or Professional x2 or later  (not CbB) or Studio One Professional.  I have both . Probably won't do it, but that's a decent price, I'd say. 

https://new.steinberg.net/nuendo/20-years/

Looks like the competitive upgrade does not mention that it replaces Cubase. I wonder if it does.

47 minutes ago, Canopus said:

No, that’s not the case. Cakewalk by BandLab runs perfectly well offline with all files stored locally. Maybe you were thinking about the cloud based BandLab product? Similar names but oh so different feature sets.

They had me download something when I went to the page and it didn't seem to download a DAW just a connection to Bandlab.  I will play with it a bit more to see if maybe I am missing something.  Thanks! 

3 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Looks like the competitive upgrade does not mention that it replaces Cubase. I wonder if it does.

I bought the competitive upgrade back when Cakewalk stated it was discontinuing Sonar.  You keep your old DAW.  All you need is something that shows you own the DAW, either a receipt or a screenshot of your account.  I also bought Studio One that way.  

Edited by Dzilizzi
I can spell but I can't type

31 minutes ago, Dzilizzi said:

They had me download something when I went to the page and it didn't seem to download a DAW just a connection to Bandlab.  I will play with it a bit more to see if maybe I am missing something.  Thanks! 

It was BandLab Assistant.

2 minutes ago, scook said:

It was BandLab Assistant.

Thanks!  I will give it a try.

On 1/16/2020 at 5:35 AM, simon said:

I have both - I still use cubase 99.9999% of the time

insane that a nuendo licence doesn’t allow you to open cubase - zero excuse for that IMO 

Hi Simon (or anyone else willing to chime in), with the current sale it’s actually cheaper for me to move to Nuendo @$240 instead of upgrade to latest version of Cubase @$299.  Just curious why you prefer to use cubase over nuendo?  Haven’t really been able to pin down what is the main motivation to use one over the other beside some features being released first for one and not the other.  A few others told me they use nuendo for work so have cubase at home so this is why they mostly use cubase.  Anyway, just curious to get your thoughts. Thanks.

Edited by kevin H

1 hour ago, Dzilizzi said:

I bought the competitive upgrade back when Cakewalk stated it was discontinuing Sonar.  You keep your old DAW.  All you need is something that shows you own the DAW, either a receipt or a screenshot of your account.  I also bought Studio One that way.  

I've crossgraded  a few DAWs I own (except CbB and Reaper) including Studio One Pro, Samplitude and  Mixcraft, I got Cubase 9 on a hefty sale and waited for 10 to be released before registering it. The I stupidly bought the 10.5 upgrade without realizing the on sale trick to get 11 cheap. Live and learn.

I'm not sure I want drop $420 on another DAW even though I do see the differences between Nuendo and Cubase. I'm just not sure I'll need them. I'm not sure I'm all that proficient on Cubase as I am on Studio One,  CbB and Mixbus 32C (here not as a DAW, but as a mixing console 🙂 ). 

I have a perpetual license for Pro Tools (2019). @Dzilizzi I'm unclear about what you said about a perpetual license expiring. How is perpetual not perpetual? Unless you just meant support?

I also own Digital  Performer 10 . Not sure I'm digging that DAW.  Reason 11.  Same. Acid Pro 9. Same. Not likely to upgrade those unless it's in the $50 range.

On my Mac I also have Logic and (DUH!) Garage Band as well as all the cross platform DAWs I own (Studio One, DP 10, Cubase 10.5, Mixbus 32C, Reason 11, Reaper & Pro Tools).

2 hours ago, kevin H said:

Hi Simon (or anyone else willing to chime in), with the current sale it’s actually cheaper for me to move to Nuendo @$240 instead of upgrade to latest version of Cubase @$299.  Just curious why you prefer to use cubase over nuendo?  Haven’t really been able to pin down what is the main motivation to use one over the other beside some features being released first for one and not the other.  A few others told me they use nuendo for work so have cubase at home so this is why they mostly use cubase.  Anyway, just curious to get your thoughts. Thanks.

familiarity mainly - I've been with Cubase since the Atari days (and pro24 before that)  - but despite SB saying that cubase/nuendo were in step, cubase still has new features first.   Nuendo 10.3 is just out which brings the Cubase 10.5 features to Nuendo several months after cubase.  To be fair though, it was a free update. 

It's fairly rare I need the extra features of nuendo (Very rare indeed!)  - also I have 2 cubase licences but 1 nuendo so it's more likely I'll be sat at a PC with a cubase licence.

If it's more cost effective to buy Nuendo then Id go for it....but it wouldn't be surprising if we saw a Cubase update sale in the next few months.  

It's fairly insane that you have to give up your cubase licence when you upgrade to nuendo...can't see why they don't let you use both ...it's only one licence on one dongle.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bapu said:

I have a perpetual license for Pro Tools (2019). @Dzilizzi I'm unclear about what you said about a perpetual license expiring. How is perpetual not perpetual? Unless you just meant support?

You do sound like me, though you probably know more of the tricks with each DAW than I do. 

As far as ProTools goes, if you accidentally switch to the subscription model, you will lose your perpetual license.  This happened to a few people.  The annual fee for updating the perpetual license has gone from $99 to $199 per year.  Do not buy the crossgrade at $99 - that takes away your perpetual license and gives you the subscription.  I thought your couldn't buy a new perpetual license, but I just checked.  If you don't pay the $199 every year, you may buy a new perpetual license for $599 now. Might be worth it every 4 years.  All I know is, I paid $297 for 3 years of updates last June before the prices went up.

If you don't ever update, you can keep your perpetual license as long as it works with your OS. The TDM/Ultimate version annual upgrade actually decreased in price. 

2 hours ago, kevin H said:

Other issue is, if you do this, you lose your Cubase license.  They you are stuck paying for Nuendo upgrades which are generally higher than Cubase ones. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dzilizzi said:

You do sound like me, though you probably know more of the tricks with each DAW than I do. 

As far as ProTools goes, if you accidentally switch to the subscription model, you will lose your perpetual license.  This happened to a few people.  The annual fee for updating the perpetual license has gone from $99 to $199 per year.  Do not buy the crossgrade at $99 - that takes away your perpetual license and gives you the subscription.  I thought your couldn't buy a new perpetual license, but I just checked.  If you don't pay the $199 every year, you may buy a new perpetual license for $599 now. Might be worth it every 4 years.  All I know is, I paid $297 for 3 years of updates last June before the prices went up.

If you don't ever update, you can keep your perpetual license as long as it works with your OS. The TDM/Ultimate version annual upgrade actually decreased in price. 

Thanks for the heads up. I'm 88 days away from my initial 1 year support expiring. Had you not said that I would have scratched my head as to the available prices and probably automatically opted for the $99 plan. Good to know.

• Like 1