When I solo a bus I don’t hear the effect...

Joel Ainsworth

Hello all, first time posting to the new forum, and I’m still running Sonar Platinum. My question relates to using an effect send on a bus. I have three drum tracks with their outputs set to a drum bus (I have disabled their effect sends). I then have a send set up on the drum bus to go to a reverb bus. When I solo the drum bus, there is nothing going to the reverb bus. No reverb sound, and nothing indicating signal is going to the reverb bus. When I solo individual tracks that have effect sends routed to the reverb bus, I AM able to hear the reverb, and the reverb bus meter lights up. This only occurs when the drum bus is solo-ed, as there is clearly reverb on the drums when the entire mix is playing. So I guess my question is - Why does the effect send operate normally when I solo an individual track, but seems to not function when I solo a bus with an identical effect send?  I really hope this makes sense!  Thanks in advance for any assistance. 

Joel

15 hours ago, Joel Ainsworth said:

Why does the effect send operate normally when I solo an individual track, but seems to not function when I solo a bus with an identical effect send?

If i am understanding you correctly, it is because the solo works for that specific track or bus. when you solo a track, the track has the actual audio on it and when you solo just a bus, the bus just has an effect and no actual audio on it. The audio is coming form the track. That is why..

Thank you, CJ. So if I am trying to place reverb on the drum bus (by sending that drum bus to a bus containing a reverb in the effect slot), would there be a way for me to solo the drum bus AND hear the reverb applied?  Right now I can hear the drums fine when I solo the drum bus but don’t hear any reverb. Only when the entire mix is playing do I hear the reverb on the drum bus.  Alternatively, I can hear the reverb on the drum bus if I solo the drum bus AND the reverb bus, but then I am also hearing the reverb of all the other tracks I am sending to the reverb bus, which is not ideal. Thanks again!