"Save As" ignoring my Folder Path choices

Scott Reams

EDIT: So there was some confusion about me starting with a new project. I've attached a new video showing the problem with a pre-existing project file, and this time, I attempt to save to an entirely different drive letter. My choices are ignored and the project is saved to drive F instead of drive D like I selected.

Another point... the folder "Soar" already exists on drive D (I created it previously) when I try to do this. If it doesn't already exist, Cakewalk asks if I'd like to create the folder, and then it creates that folder and a duplicate under it, like this:

D:\Soar\Soar

Which is not what I wanted.

I'm finding that when I use Save As (might also be the case with Save), Cakewalk is always saving my project in a Folder with the same name as the project file (under the current folder), and saving it's audio in a subfolder under that. No matter what I type in "Project Path" or "Audio Path" at the bottom of the dialog, it is ignored. I never used to have this issue... although I don't know how long ago it started.

Here's a capture of the problem in action. Pretty easy to replicate:

Edited by Scott Reams
  • Thanks 1

Thank you - I’ve been fighting this for several years I think. Problem most often (exclusively?) occurs when first saving a new project created from a template.  Usually have to move project files out of undesired extra nested folders.
Please fix!

1 hour ago, R Henn said:

Thank you - I’ve been fighting this for several years I think. Problem most often (exclusively?) occurs when first saving a new project created from a template.  Usually have to move project files out of undesired extra nested folders.
Please fix!

Does this help ?

16 hours ago, Scott Reams said:

I'm finding that when I use Save As (might also be the case with Save), Cakewalk is always saving my project in a Folder with the same name as the project file (under the current folder), and saving it's audio in a subfolder under that. No matter what I type in "Project Path" or "Audio Path" at the bottom of the dialog, it is ignored. I never used to have this issue... although I don't know how long ago it started.

Here's a capture of the problem in action. Pretty easy to replicate:

I'll take a look at the folder boxes [EDIT: I've logged a case in the system for it], but to accomplish what you're trying to do there, there's a couple things. 

First off, when saving a template file, you should do put in the stock templates folder rather than opening as a saved file. When saving something as a template, there's a "go to folder" drop box that you can set to templates, and it'll take you straight there. When you save your own templates there, you can go to File | New and specify locations for folders when you create the project. 

Second if you disable the check box for "copy audio with project" it'll turn those boxes off at the bottom and only save the CWP, so if your project previously was using a global audio folder, it would retain that.

I wouldn't really recommend using a single global audio folder though. The Save As page is designed to be able to keep your projects organized in folders that contain the .cwp and audio in the same place. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

I'll take a look at the folder boxes [EDIT: I've logged a case in the system for it], but to accomplish what you're trying to do there, there's a couple things. 

First off, when saving a template file, you should do put in the stock templates folder rather than opening as a saved file.

I only used a new project template to show the behavior quickly. It happens with normal project files.

12 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

There is no longer a global audio folder (if that's what your referring to). All audio is stored inside the the working folder of the CWP project.

This is nothing new, it was changed over a year ago.

I'm not referring to global audio folders at all. I know audio is stored in the project's particular audio folder. I'm just unable to manually enter any destination for the project or its audio and have it respect that.

I've created a new video showing the problem and hopefully this one avoids the confusion having to do with using a new project from a template. This time, it's just a pre-existing project and I try to save to an entirely different drive without success. See the original post above.

Since the introduction of the automatic subfolder logic it happens to me from time to time that I end up with a folder constellation that I have not intended! 😡

Although I get more and more used to this 'special' logic with an automatic project folder with the same name as the project. IMO this is not really a good idea, because in any other program out there it is different and second, it makes it impossible to save a project with a changed name in the same or another folder (in such a case you have to save and then copy manually, crazy)! Just to make it clear I do not mind the automatic audio folder name, I don't care about that!

1 hour ago, marled said:

Since the introduction of the automatic subfolder logic it happens to me from time to time that I end up with a folder constellation that I have not intended! 😡

Although I get more and more used to this 'special' logic with an automatic project folder with the same name as the project. IMO this is not really a good idea, because in any other program out there it is different and second, it makes it impossible to save a project with a changed name in the same or another folder (in such a case you have to save and then copy manually, crazy)! Just to make it clear I do not mind the automatic audio folder name, I don't care about that!

If you're saving a a copy of the project in the same project folder, uncheck the "copy audio with project" option and it disables those path boxes altogether. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The video that Scott Reams posted is exactly the problem I'm having. It describes it perfectly. Sonar ignores my preferred directory, and copies all audio from my preferred folder to the folder of THEIR choice.

A lot of the answers to Scott's question seem to be ignoring the video and taking wild guesses. Please watch the video. If there is a fix or workaround, we'd appreciate  feedback. I would really like to hear from Bandlab support on this. Is this a bug? Is it intentional?  Why would they force our wave files onto our C drive for pre-existing projects?

This bug has been going on since the first CbB version. All Sonar Platinum versions worked correctly without this bug. 

I have always had Splat and CbB open with my custom template. In the past I could just start working on the new song after opening Splat. And then save the song specifying the CWP folder and the audio folder.

Since I record tons of songs, I prefer to keep all my CWP files together in 1 folder on my E drive and each one has it's own wav file folder stored on my D drive.

This works fine when choosing File/New, but doesn't work when I open CbB to my template and hit save as. I tried in vain to get this fixed using email support. I wish we'd hear from Cakewalk about this long standing issue.

Edited by gmp
spelling