VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY BIG BANG ORCHESTRA: BLACK EYE

cclarry

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I stand corrected...

it's impossible to tell what is free and what product is a subset of what other product.  You would think black-eye would be a subset of the big bang library ?

confuuuuseed 😕

• Like 1

Ya it looks as if you still need the eLicenser even for the free library.  It's a sales leader although an interesting sales leader. For something around 26 US you get the dongle and this library which isn't necessarily bad if you plan to get more of their products.  I just bought an iLok so I'm not particularly crazy about buying  another one. East West uses iLok which I like better because it covers more products....even though I would have preferred to avoid iLok altogether.

Edited by Starise

3 minutes ago, Starise said:

Ya it looks as if you still need the eLicenser even for the free library.  It's a sales leader although an interesting sales leader. For something around 26 US you get the dongle and this library which isn't necessarily bad if you plan to get more of their products.  I just bought an iLok so I'm not particularly crazy about buying  another one. East West uses iLok which I like better because it covers more products....even though I would have preferred to avoid iLok altogether.

The whole Steinberg/Vienna world seem taylored to be in one ecosystem. Those darned Germans...when will they learn that this stuff is shooting them in the foot.

I use ilok and elicencer (steinberg) - Ilok is definitely much better (IMO!) - but elicencer is fine.  You are stuck with it for 95% of steinberg products and I've been using one for years.  Once had one blow up on me and SB were pretty good about getting me a replacement (for free).

It's really not worth buying an elicencer just to use that free library though - it's not that amazing.....

3 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I think you need Vienna Ensemble just to run BBO.  I installed.
It asked for no VST directories....how does it work it doesn't
install the VST's?

I downloaded it a few months ago - and didn't pay anything - I think you have to install the VST plugs as well.  I'll take a look if I can remember my login

I do remember it needing more brain power than I wanted to give it though.

Edited by simon

Just now, simon said:

I downloaded it a few months ago - and didn't pay anything - I think you have to install the VST plugs as well.  I'll take a look if I can remember my login

I just installed it.  It didn't install any VST's...nor did it ask to...
so I'm assuming you need VE regular edition, but don't see a 
download anywhere

2 minutes ago, cclarry said:

I just installed it.  It didn't install any VST's...nor did it ask to...
so I'm assuming you need VE regular edition, but don't see a 
download anywhere

just logged in - it's very confusing

if you go to the "my downloads" section........

I think it was the Vienna Synchron Player ?

plus you have to register the licence on your elicencer obvs

also I assume I installed the downloader - not at my audio pc but can check later ?

• Like 1

For Big Bang they have a player VST, Vienna Synchron Player.  I think it's what they are using for these paid versions (including the paid Big Bang expansion and this Black Eye thing) also.  Mine is a VST3 called Vienna Synchron Player.vst3 (there is also a Surround version)

You do need a eLicenser hardware key to use them I think.

Edited by Matthew Sorrels
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, simon said:

I use ilok and elicencer (steinberg) - Ilok is definitely much better (IMO!) - but elicencer is fine.  You are stuck with it for 95% of steinberg products and I've been using one for years.  Once had one blow up on me and SB were pretty good about getting me a replacement (for free).

It's really not worth buying an elicencer just to use that free library though - it's not that amazing.....

Thanks for this info simon.  I know..........it's a thing you plug in and forget. I think they should reduce the price of a library the amount you spent on the eLicenser. That would show some sort of customer appreciation. I mean these aren't inexpensive libraries so discounting it 26 US isn't that big a deal. But I digress. Like I alluded earlier it's a business mentality that will get you nowhere,It's the same reason Cubase is almost never discounted. I say almost because it has happened on occasion. I have like 4 other DAWs so no worries here. It's the same reason we couldn't hear demos on a plugin website the other day because the closed minded mentality insisted on using their servers instead of Soundcloud for demos....servers which were down momentarily.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

For Big Bang they have a player VST, Vienna Synchron Player.  I think it's what they are using for these paid versions (including the paid Big Bang expansion and this Black Eye thing) also.  Mine is a VST3 called Vienna Synchron Player.vst3 (there is also a Surround version)

yes - just checked

you need to install the synchron player and use the downloader to download/install the library (.vsldownload file)

Larry check back if it doesn't make sense - as it's all coming back to me like a bad dream

also looks like it's been updated since I downloaded it

• Like 1

T

9 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

That's what I started to figure out.  There is a download for the Synchron Player, but not VE...which comes with paid products
I believe

4 minutes ago, Starise said:

Thanks for this info simon.  I know..........it's a thing you plug in and forget. I think they should reduce the price of a library the amount you spent on the eLicenser. 

I just mentally factor that in - at the end of the day it seems like a small cost so I don't worry too much.  I have zero problem (ok, nearly zero) using these dongles but my friend refused to update from cubase LE to PRO because he didn't want the dongle on his laptop. I suspect it costs them some sales but they are more worried (paranoid) about piracy than convenience.

The free Big Bang thing is nice and all, but it's not worth buying a dongle for.   I only registered it because of Cubase.  VSL products may be worth it to some composers, but in my book their product line is far too confusing and just gives me a headache.  It also seems vastly overpriced, but again because of the way it's sold I can't really tell.  I don't want to buy single instruments plus expansions for each part of a whole orchestra.  Though considering what I've spent on libraries the last few years maybe VSL isn't overpriced, it just feels like it is.

• Like 2