VS 700 and I/o

Alan

Hi,

there is a person who lives locally to me that is selling the vs700 and. I/o.  I have the vs 100.  Can I get yhe vs 700 to be fully operational in Cakewalk by BandLab.  I heard there were driver issues with windows 10 and the ACT functions are possibly not working anymore.

if I can get this to work with the latest iteration of cakewalk I’d love to purchase it but if it’s going to be a constant headache, I’ll pass.

thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

alan

9 hours ago, Alan said:

Hi,

there is a person who lives locally to me that is selling the vs700 and. I/o.  I have the vs 100.  Can I get yhe vs 700 to be fully operational in Cakewalk by BandLab.  I heard there were driver issues with windows 10 and the ACT functions are possibly not working anymore.

if I can get this to work with the latest iteration of cakewalk I’d love to purchase it but if it’s going to be a constant headache, I’ll pass.

thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

alan

The short answer is it generally works fine. Unlike the VS-100, Roland never got around to making a Windows 10 installer for the VS-700 driver. The v2.2 driver itself will work on Windows 10, it just requires you to manually edit a configuration file in the installer to allow installation on Win 10 (which then requires booting into windows with driver signatures disabled for the install). There's a whole big thread on the old forum with the details on how to do it. 

In practice, it's a pretty simple thing to do. I personally run a VS-700 every day. All the major functions work just fine in Cakewalk by BandLab.

I'm not sure that I'd want to throw large sums of money to get one at this point, but if they're offering a deal for it, it's a pretty good piece of hardware. Bear in mind its hard to say how long the Windows will keep the status quo with how the drivers work, but at least for the past few years it's been fine in my personal experience. 

• Like 1

I remember Meng mentioning BandLab Technology has a new-in-box VS-700 remaining from the days his music store was a Cakewalk distributor.  I believe Meng said then he hoped the driver can be updated for Windows 10.  However, I would be surprised to know he initiated a conversation with Roland to get it done as I assume such a conversation would be low on a "nice to do" list.

3 minutes ago, Jim Fogle said:

I remember Meng mentioning BandLab Technology has a new-in-box VS-700 remaining from the days his music store was a Cakewalk distributor.  I believe Meng said then he hoped the driver can be updated for Windows 10.  However, I would be surprised to know he initiated a conversation with Roland to get it done as I assume such a conversation would be low on a "nice to do" list.

I set up  that very same VS-700 in the office in Singapore when I was out there in 2018.

Trying to get the drivers from Roland is not quite as cut and dry of a thing as one would like, plus you're dealing with only so many units for what's a 10 year old piece of gear at this point. So while they still run, I wouldn't hold my breath for there being any updates. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Alan said:

The rewriting of the drivers in windows 10 goes beyond my comfort zone and skill level.

It's actually very simple. You only change a couple lines in one config file for the driver's installer, just as it shows in the thread that Mark pasted above, quite a different thing from rewriting the driver. You can actually copy/paste from that thread into the specified file, and it'll work. The worst case scenario if you goofed on the config file would be it doesn't install. 

• Like 1