Recording gets end cut off when i press stop?

David K.

Question

Hi guys, 

I have a DnD podcast and we recorded an hour today and whenever we record we let it record after were done because every time we wrap up cakewalk cuts off about 5 minutes of audio. Whats causing this to happen? Its infuriating to find that we have to re record audio all the time.

14 answers to this question

The ratio of 65 minutes to 60 minutes is suspiciously close to the ratio of 48kHz to 44.1kHz sample rates. Cakewalk stores the length of a clip according to the number of samples in the audio file. If there's a clock mismatch somewhere, that could cause the clip to come up short.

I would start by double-checking that rates are matching everywhere, and the record timing master is set correctly. Then check the file size in samples and sample rate using a 3rd-party audio editor.

DB's suggestion is indeed interesting, but I am struggling to see how a sample rate mismatch would result in lost data here. Cakewalk would be expected to record all of the data it received from the start to the time you manually stop the recording. From the description it sounds like your recording if continued to time plus 5 minutes would contain the full content, but that if you stop the recording at time plus 0 minutes the actual data that would have been contained in the last five minutes is missing. If what you are saying is that all the data that you intend to record is actually recorded and can be played back somewhere, but that the time it takes to play all the data back differs from the real world time it takes to record it--that would be an entirely different issue.  I would certainly not describe alteration in playback time as the recording being "cut off" or truncated, but rather as  play duration being shortened. That shortening of playback time problem could indeed come from a sample rate mismatch.   Alternatively you could have extended the playback time via a sample rate issue and then somehow truncated the recording yourself by say transferring it to media or a system that allows a maximum of one hour to be recorded. In that case the recording that now should require time plus 5 minutes to play back has been cut in time to time plus 0 minutes and you have lost the data that should have been played back in the cut off last 5 minute portion of the file. In any case I would expect all of the data to have been recorded, and still available for playback in Cakewalk  albeit at a different rate (and pitch) than expected.

18 hours ago, David Baay said:

The ratio of 65 minutes to 60 minutes is suspiciously close to the ratio of 48kHz to 44.1kHz sample rates. Cakewalk stores the length of a clip according to the number of samples in the audio file. If there's a clock mismatch somewhere, that could cause the clip to come up short.

I would start by double-checking that rates are matching everywhere, and the record timing master is set correctly. Then check the file size in samples and sample rate using a 3rd-party audio editor.

If you are in Cakewalk, in the Browser Pane, click on the Media button, then if you navigate to where you have that audio clip stored, (Audio sub-folder in the Project folder), and click on it once, to highlight it in the Browser Pane,  at the bottom of that navigation tree there in the Browser Pane window, you will see the audio details for the file: PCM, which is used in wav files, Sample Rate, Record Bit-Depth, Stereo/Mono, the number of samples, and the file length - in seconds.  This is pretty handy info, at times, and a nice little feature - (thanks Bakers).

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
added info

So when the clip ends when I press stop, it sends me all the way to the beginning of the tracks, and the "(busy)" mark pops up on the track, it at that point in which the tracks become cut off. I still get a large portion of the audio data but it loses about 3-5 minutes of data. (This is a guess, not calculated).

On 2/13/2020 at 12:23 PM, Light Grenade said:

This happened to me as well, a year or so ago.

Navigate to your audio folder, and drag the recording in from there. You will probably find the full file intact - I did.

This problem, thankfully just dissapeared for me. I'd bet on an update somewhere sorting it.

Thank you sooo much! This is a life saver for me.

• Like 1

This happens to me every single day during recording

Today I recorded a 25 minute track

pressed stop and only the first 4 minutes were there

so i lost most of the recording

so i had to start over - I've wasted hours and hours and hours re-recording parts

ok I did some searching and yes the complete audio wav file was in my Cakewalk Projects folder 

so I was able to drag and drop the file back into the Cakewalk program - so I have a solution

but still not sure why in Cakewalk itself the file partly disappears

Edited by Terry Hoknes

4 hours ago, Terry Hoknes said:

This happens to me every single day during recording

Today I recorded a 25 minute track

pressed stop and only the first 4 minutes were there

so i lost most of the recording

so i had to start over - I've wasted hours and hours and hours re-recording parts

ok I did some searching and yes the complete audio wav file was in my Cakewalk Projects folder 

so I was able to drag and drop the file back into the Cakewalk program - so I have a solution

but still not sure why in Cakewalk itself the file partly disappears

I've just tried to repro - recorded 23 minutes of audio, and all audio was intact.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with your pre-record allocate size.... can you confirm what yours is set to ?

Please post a screenshot ( ALT + PrtSc ) so I can check the other settings too.

image.png.12687463c8a68252212ba3ea5d6d4a27.png

For years I've recorded 16 tracks of audio as live band performances into Cakewalk. These were full 45 to 70 minute sets none stop. This was on a 2008 Sony Laptop. It's only attribute being it was more or less optimized and it has a SSD drive. Otherwise only 4 GB RAM etc. Last time I did this was last Summer. 

After I hit stop it takes a good couple of minutes too draw the waveforms but otherwise I've never experienced missing data. 

Are you using an audio interface with ASIO drivers or on board audio? 

btw, a workaround i've used is the comping features to create separate tracks. i've always been a bit nervous about long recordings when transferring from tape. so i'll loop on say 100 measures @ 60bpm, then start recording (this is how i've been extracting several hours of tape recordings into the digital realm). then each track can be readily rejoined as needed. typically i'm splitting on between song sections then creating a separate new track for each song and bounding to create individual clips.

so far i've managed about 250 hours without an issue. oh, make sure you're doing this to a fresh disk since it will eat your regular disks up pretty quickly. since i don't care about the maximum quality - i'm using 44.1@16bit - i'm using an inexpensive 1TB HD.

Edited by Glenn Stanton