Back Concerto For Two Violins

garybrun

18 minutes ago, bjornpdx said:

Sounds really good on my headphones, Gary. Like you're in the audience and hearing the different sections from where they're placed in the orchestra.

Thanks Bjørn.
Thats what I tired to achieve...   getting there 🙂

For those who have been following this thread...  
Here is an example of trying to create an orchestral composition with a studio recording feel without the live effects.
EQ is still very hard to do!

Edited by garybrun

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Gary , great work here.

The one thing for me is that I'm hearing too much vibrato on the violins, esp #1 ( left) for these quick passages. It's almost like an out of phase effect.

One thing I would try is alternating more between different articulations; legato, marcato & shorts.

(I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet so maybe it's my ears!)

Still nicely done- really enjoyed it.

Edited by Hidden Symmetry

4 hours ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

Hi Gary , great work here.

The one thing for me is that I'm hearing too much vibrato on the violins, esp #1 ( left) for these quick passages. It's almost like an out of phase effect.

One thing I would try is alternating more between different articulations; legato, marcato & shorts.

(I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet so maybe it's my ears!)

Still nicely done- really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the listen and comments.
Very helpful and I agree too.
When I did this I wasnt thinking of how an orchestra is traditionally panned...  was going to do it my way  (messing around with tradition I know)

I just used marcato on these samples... to be honest I only new what legato meant,  🙂
Its been a learning curve... and Im done with it now.

Will try with the knowledge I have gained on another project later,
Thanks

Gary

Edited by garybrun
  • Like 1

I know what you mean Gary. It's constant learning & discovery.

As far as panning an orchestra nothing is written in stone although there are useful guidelines. I also sometimes find an imager useful, narrowing certain samples with a wide stage, isolating solo instruments or pushing sections towards the back of the stage.

As for eqing orchestral instruments I usually start with simple HP-LP filters then listen for problematic frequencies (such as a 1-3 khz harshness  strings etc..)

Looking forward to you next projects!

• Great Idea 1