Sonar 'Legacy' plugins in BandLab Sonar

carlcurry

On 12/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

As I said before. If a manufacturer doesn't care for letting me buy their products legally, why should I care about whether they support legal activations ot not?

Because it is still their property and you stealing it is still theft.

If I have a car sitting in my driveway and I never drive it, does that entitle you to come take it ?

On 12/18/2020 at 6:53 AM, Jonathan Sasor said:

Not really. We'd like to make more of the plugins available at some point in one way or another, but exactly how that'll happen remains to be seen. 

I live in fear of the day that Rapture Pro won't open any more :)

I figured maybe it has to do with support...if all those old plug-ins get released into the world, you never know what people might find lurking in old lines of code with new operating systems and software. ("How come the linear EQ doesn't work with my 32-bit version of Sound Forge 2?")

2 hours ago, bdickens said:

Because it is still their property and you stealing it is still theft.

If I have a car sitting in my driveway and I never drive it, does that entitle you to come take it ?

You cannot "steal" a product that's not being sold. Nobody is receiving or losing money on it. Pirating a product that's no longer for sale doesn't damage any IP, unless the IP itself is what's valuable and in that case, you're practicing copyright/trademark infringement, not pirating. Since it's software we're talking about, there's a fundamental problem. Software by itself is worthless. It gets out of date quickly, stops being supported and so on. Is the license that's important. But, you're not selling that license anymore.

The car analogy doesn't quite work because:

- It is a physical object that can be removed from your possession.
- It is parked in front of your property, therefore, not abandoned.

However, if you abandon your car in a place that's not your property and never come back to it, do you have the right to demand it's yours when someone else takes it? Even in that case, it doesn't work because it's a physical object.

The solution to this "problem" is quite simple. If the product starts being offered again, a license is bought and nobody lost any money.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

54 minutes ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

. . . unless the IP itself is what's valuable and in that case, you're practicing copyright/trademark infringement, not pirating.

So, you are saying if you take intellectual property that belongs to someone else (and is not designated as free by the property owner) without compensating the developer/owner, it is not stealing, it is infringement and therefore is OK because if the owner cared about getting paid, the owner would make licenses available?  Just trying to understand the issue.

Edited by User 905133

Just now, User 905133 said:

So, you are saying if you take intellectual property that belongs to someone else (and is not designated as free by the property owner) without compensating the developer/owner, it is not stealing it is infringement and therefore is OK because if the owner cared about getting paid, the owner would make licenses available?  Just trying to understand the issue.

Pretty much.

I'm not saying that you should go around and pirate stuff. Whoever, advocating for the legality of a piece of software that cannot be acquired legally is absurd. It's similar to the situation you often see with people pointing fingers at others pirating these old games and telling you should support their creators when the game is not available for sale anywhere, the person who created the game doesn't own the game and the person who created the game will not be paid if you acquire the game legally somehow. You're simply demanding the impossible.