Sonar 'Legacy' plugins in BandLab Sonar

carlcurry

• 5 months later...

This is what I have

• Sonar X3 Producer & Sonar X2 Producer together (just get a 1TB and you'll have tons of room).
  • In Sonar X3, V-Vocal & Melodyne are located in the "Regional" tab.
  • Installed both and they work side by side.  All icons will be Sonar X3 grey icons (X2 had a black icon). 
  • Sonar X2 songs will open in X3......but....Sonar X3 songs can't open in X2
  • It's worth it because I'm free of the internet, dongle, stay-on-line game. 
  • Don't need Bandland for a product they can't support....but Native Instruments???  What a marriage!!!!

Only downside would be finding full versions of Rapture, Dimension Pro and Z3TA+ 2, as well as things like the L-Phase EQ, L-Phase Multiband, Perfect Space, V-Vocal, R-Mix, Vintage Channel and other synths that used to come in earlier versions, like Pentagon.

It's a bit sad that whoever owns the rest of the Cakewalk IP has no interest in making those instruments and features available to new users. While it may sound too extreme, I wouldn't shed any tears for the company when I found those elsewhere and have to activate them using "alternative" means. You can't buy them anywhere and they're no longer supported. That makes them abandonware.

I currently have X2, X3e and Platinum installed alongside CbB. Only the stuff that you can't get officially anymore is installed of course:

- X2 is there for V-Vocal and R-Mix.

- X3 is there for the Vintage Channel, Perfect Space, Rapture, Dimension Pro and the other synths.

- Platinum is there for the L-Phase stuff, CA-2A and such. Also Z3TA+ 2.

Only thing missing is Rapture Pro, which I couldn't find anywhere, so I have to content with just the demo.

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino

On 12/11/2020 at 11:20 AM, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

It's a bit sad that whoever owns the rest of the Cakewalk IP has no interest in making those instruments and features available to new users. While it may sound too extreme, I wouldn't shed any tears for the company when I found those elsewhere and have to activate them using "alternative" means. You can't buy them anywhere and they're no longer supported. That makes them abandonware.

BandLab owns the copyright for all of the legacy Cakewalk IP, so technically not abandonware.

BandLab may not currently be selling the legacy instruments to new users, but they do support the activations for legally licensed users.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

BandLab owns the copyright for all of the legacy Cakewalk IP, so technically not abandonware.

BandLab may not currently be selling the legacy instruments to new users, but they do support the activations for legally licensed users.

As I said before. If a manufacturer doesn't care for letting me buy their products legally, why should I care about whether they support legal activations ot not?

Edited by Bruno de Souza Lino
  • Meh 4

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

As I said before. If a manufacturer doesn't care for letting me buy their products legally, why should I care about whether they support legal activations ot not?

Discussions of software piracy in this forum will most likely draw the attention of the moderators, so do yourself a favor and keep it on the down low. Just an FYI.  Cheers! 😉

On 6/14/2020 at 10:17 PM, Robert McClellan said:

That makes sense I suppose. But, if they still work and are obtainable by download the they should be accessible to all.

That’s unfortunate...

Is there some way to create a “dummy” account that all could use to access the older rollback versions? 🤔 

IDK maybe I’m overthinking this but it just stinks that some of those awesome plugs are gone now. (For new users)

Why is it unfortunate? they didn't pay for the programs like a lot of us did, so why should they be entitled to anything? maybe all the new users will have to just be happy with a free DAW 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Do you guys realize this is an old thread suddenly dug up by a 1 post wonder- Mister-  just to tell us they don't need CbB because they have X2 and X3??  kind of sad actually.  Choosing software just because you don't need the internet is sort of like buying a coal fired stove because you don't need natural gas. 

15 hours ago, FREQUENCY STUDIOS said:

Why is it unfortunate? they didn't pay for the programs like a lot of us did, so why should they be entitled to anything? maybe all the new users will have to just be happy with a free DAW 😁

There are some stability issues associated with having multiple SONAR versions installed, since they all install similar components on the same places. Even if you install them in chronological order.

2 hours ago, Bruno de Souza Lino said:

There are some stability issues associated with having multiple SONAR versions installed, since they all install similar components on the same places. Even if you install them in chronological order.

I'd put this between other conspiracy theories. I, like many, have a few Sonars plus Cakewalk by Bandlab on top of them simultaneously installed on more than one computer and never had any issue associated with the presence of the previous versions. From the top of my head: I have sonar X1 Studio and some of its components, then Platinum with the whole suite and Cakewalk.

48 minutes ago, chris.r said:

I'd put this between other conspiracy theories. I, like many, have a few Sonars plus Cakewalk by Bandlab on top of them simultaneously installed on more than one computer and never had any issue associated with the presence of the previous versions. From the top of my head: I have sonar X1 Studio and some of its components, then Platinum with the whole suite and Cakewalk.

At one point, I had X2 Producer, X3e, SONAR Platinum and CbB. Currently, I only have the Linear Phase Plugins without anything else from Platinum and CbB. I have enough plugins that not having Platinum installed doesn't make much difference, plus having other DAWs.

On 12/15/2020 at 10:45 PM, FREQUENCY STUDIOS said:

Yeah, I get that to. I mean I paid over $499 for Platinum and then 6 months later they dropped it. Honestly, even with it’s free plugs in the current state I can achieve some decent mixes.

6 hours ago, Robert McClellan said:

I keep hearing that they still own the rights to the older legacy plugins but haven’t released them as of yet. 
Not sure what to believe anymore really. 

Yes, BandLab owns all the intellectual property that was under Cakewalk, Inc. We have all the source code for all of the previous plugins, and maintain the authorization back end.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

About a month ago I started using BL Cakewalk  after trying other DAWs, lite and trial versions. I like it and it's interface. Being a  new user, I've read through a number of posts about all the plugins that are no longer there from previous versions. I understand the situation. After all, it's now free. However, I do have a question about one plug-in, Session Drummer 3. It appears that 1/2 of the program is installed. The folder is there with a lot of kits. The actual plug-in is missing. Odd. If discontinued, why not remove everything? I tried reinstalling cakewalk and tried searching for just the vst. Does anyone know anything about this? If it truly isn't available, Is is there a way to access and use the kits inside the SD3 folder?  

Having prior versions of SONAR installed I have no idea what a clean install of CbB looks like.

Can you provide more specifics about what is installed, such as fully qualified file names.

There should be no SD3 files installed.

There are sfz files and samples installed with Drum Replacer. These look a lot like SD3 content.

There are sfz files and samples installed for SI-Drums too.