Sonar 'Legacy' plugins in BandLab Sonar

carlcurry

I'm prepping a new DAW build. I'd be happy to go directly to the latest Sonar by BandLab release, but have a concern about bundled plugins used across some 450 projects. I know I've used the BT Compressor pretty liberally. Things like the bundled Breverb reverb are also present, probably a handful of Sonitus FX. There is also Dimension Pro and a healthy dose of Z3TA2, but I assume my separate installers for the paid versions will still work for those.

Is there a reference for what is still present, and what third party effects/VST's have been deprecated?

I'll be deciding between:

* installing Sonar Platinum first and updating (parallel installing?) BandLab Sonar
* going right to BandLab Sonar - probably cleaner but may 'break' multiple projects

Any input appreciated.

23 minutes ago, carlcurry said:

I'll be deciding between:

* installing Sonar Platinum first and updating (parallel installing?) BandLab Sonar
* going right to BandLab Sonar - probably cleaner but may 'break' multiple projects

Any input appreciated.

Some of the most recent installers of SONAR permit you to choose what you want to install. In those cases, choose the bundled addons that you want/need. For older versions of the program you'll have to install the whole thing to get the plugins (sorry, can't tell you which ones). Cakewalk by Bandlab will be able to access and use any plugins installed these ways. As noted above, even a full installation of an earlier version doesn't take up too much space. Some of the plugins you mention were bundled with SONAR but not with CbB. So I vote for installing any of the earlier versions you have (or just the plugins when possible), followed by the latest version of CbB.

Thanks for the replies. Suspected this is where it would end up. It's good to hear it confirmed. As a Cakewalk user since Professional Ver. 3 for Win 3.1(!),  I've been through the custom install at least a few times to find this, that, or the other thing I think I need. It can get dizzying and I've sometimes had to go through it 2 or 3 times to find what I'm looking for. But it is what it is and that's what I'll do. Sonar Platinum custom to ensure I tick the right boxes, followed by CbB to bring projects up to a current Sonar build.

FYI there was a link to a list on the old forum, of what plugins were bundled with Sonar from version 8 onward.

I found that installing X1 Producer, X3 Producer and Sonar Platinum gave me 99% of the plugins bundled over the years since Sonar 8, less the 32 bit DX plugins of course.

The only thing missing from X1 / Splat combo is R-Mix, which only came with X2 Producer, but I couldn't be bothered to install X2 as well just for R-Mix.

Anyhow the link is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4k4trs6qj1740d6/Cakewalk Addons.xlsx?dl=0

Edited by msmcleod
  • Thanks 5

Going to need to install the Platinum core (The top level SONAR Platinum link in the Command Center) to be able to install all the Platinum plug-ins. Unlike X3 and older, there is no advanced install option for Platinum. There are several installers though. To save about 50% of the space used by Platinum (excepting the samples for DP and Rapture Session) skip the tutorial install. Can also skip the SONAR Theme editor; CbB has its own. Include the local documentation if you want a relatively recent pdf and chm file. There is a hack to add the old SONAR chm to CbB but there will be missing pages.

All the other legacy plug-ins from X3 and older may be installed with actually installing the DAW EXCEPT V-Vocal. To get V-Vocal requires a minimal installation of the DAW. Here is what that option looks like in X2 Producer

Xtyprss.gif

The legacy LP plug-ins were dropped from Platinum when the L-Phase plug-ins were added. The easiest way to get these back is an advanced install from X3 or older.

It is good idea when installing the actual DAW (in this example X2, Platinum and CbB) they be installed oldest first. While the installers are pretty smart about not overwriting newer files it can happen with unexpected results. Installing in order prevents lost updates.

When running SONAR installers advanced option for plug-ins only, order does not matter. In fact, these installs may be deferred until a project is encountered with missing plug-ins.

• Like 2

Thanks all for the responses. A lot of useful information here. If memory serves I made the conscious choice to accept some software obsolescence and be more deliberate in plugins I used when Platinum came along, especially if I intended to open the project into the future. I see on my 'B' DAW (backup) I have X1, X2, and X3 plus Platinum. On my 'A' DAW (primary) I only have Platinum. I'm going to go with Platinum and CbB. When the dreaded/inevitable missing plugins occurs on some project I'll make a choice then whether to restore or replace.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, scook said:

Going to need to install the Platinum core (The top level SONAR Platinum link in the Command Center) to be able to install all the Platinum plug-ins. Unlike X3 and older, there is no advanced install option for Platinum. There are several installers though. To save about 50% of the space used by Platinum (excepting the samples for DP and Rapture Session) skip the tutorial install. Can also skip the SONAR Theme editor; CbB has its own. Include the local documentation if you want a relatively recent pdf and chm file. There is a hack to add the old SONAR chm to CbB but there will be missing pages.

All the other legacy plug-ins from X3 and older may be installed with actually installing the DAW EXCEPT V-Vocal. To get V-Vocal requires a minimal installation of the DAW. Here is what that option looks like in X2 Producer

The legacy LP plug-ins were dropped from Platinum when the L-Phase plug-ins were added. The easiest way to get these back is an advanced install from X3 or older.

It is good idea when installing the actual DAW (in this example X2, Platinum and CbB) they be installed oldest first. While the installers are pretty smart about not overwriting newer files it can happen with unexpected results. Installing in order prevents lost updates.

When running SONAR installers advanced option for plug-ins only, order does not matter. In fact, these installs may be deferred until a project is encountered with missing plug-ins.

Edit: I said V-Vocal wasn't in CbB. Looking, looking, looking, tab after tab, I found it in the Region FX in the wave right-click window. For some reason I thought it was a VST. NICE!

My install started with Sonar 8.0 Pro before installing CbB so I too assume it came through there. I need to pay closer attention ....

Edited by Awats

If installed following the instructions above, V-Vocal should appear as a Region FX in CbB.

Pentagon I is the only plug-in bundled with SONAR X series requiring administrator access to the registry. This may be done by either running the DAW as administrator or modifying the registry as shown in this post. Allowing for the permissions issue should Pentagon fail to load the problem is system specific.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scook said:

If installed following the instructions above, V-Vocal should appear as a Region FX in CbB.

Pentagon I is the only plug-in bundled with SONAR X series requiring administrator access to the registry. This may be done by either running the DAW as administrator or modifying the registry as shown in this post. Allowing for the permissions issue should Pentagon fail to load the problem is system specific.

LOL! You posted this just as I was editing my earlier mini-rant. I found it, but not where I expected.

As for Pentagon. I've tried the admin changes and as I said it just loads it and then blows up. I compared the registry content and it matches what people said needs to be there. I will keep playing with it though.

I missed the permissions for Pentagon. Interestingly that works but now I get a blank window for the synth. I will play with it more.

Thanks for replying!

Edited by Awats

• 1 year later...
On 1/24/2019 at 6:58 PM, abacab said:

So that's where all my Blue Tubes plug-ins came from! If I'm not mistaken, they're abbreviated as BT in the plug-in manager. I've got to check those out again!

• Like 1

BandLab did not buy the Cakewalk company and its products. They purchased Cakewalk IP.

BandLab cannot give away or sell old Cakewalk products and installers.

Moreover, for Cakewalk users to access the old downloadable installers for their registered products they needed to participate in the Single Sign-On migration in late 2014 or have created a Single Sign-On account before Gibson shut down Cakewalk in 2017.

Users who have SSO accounts may access downloads from the old site and their account. Password reset is perform by support@cakewalk.com.

So far, BandLab only ported and released the bits available in the CbB package. Any other products would have to be updated before release.

7 minutes ago, scook said:

BandLab did not buy the Cakewalk company and its products. They purchased Cakewalk IP.

That makes sense I suppose. But, if they still work and are obtainable by download the they should be accessible to all.

9 minutes ago, scook said:

BandLab cannot give old Cakewalk installers to users who did not purchase them while Cakewalk was in business.

That’s unfortunate...

10 minutes ago, scook said:

Moreover, for Cakewalk users to access the old downloadable installers they needed to participate in the Single Sign-On migration in late 2014 or have created a Single Sign-On account before Gibson shut down Cakewalk in 2017.

Is there some way to create a “dummy” account that all could use to access the older rollback versions? 🤔 

IDK maybe I’m overthinking this but it just stinks that some of those awesome plugs are gone now. (For new users)

• Like 1