Convert audio to Midi issue

David Zerbe

This is a known issue with the last two updates of Melodyne.

Basically what is happening is that Melodyne is "forgetting" its default detection algorithm, and hangs Cakewalk.

The workaround is to create a Region FX first, and if necessary, re-select the appropriate algorithm.

But once the Region FX is there, you can drag your audio on to a MIDI track.

• Like 4

I do not believe that the legacy version of Cakewalk used Melodyne to make the audio to midi conversion. I installed Cakewalk Bandlab without Melodyne and the conversion works fine. I have an upgraded version of Melodyne on a different machine that the error occurs. Does Cakewalk by Bandlab have a way of choosing the app to use for the audio to midi conversion and can where might that selection or choice to change it be?

Dragging a clip from an audio track to an instrument or MIDI track in X3 or newer (including CbB) rely on the Melodyne VST3 plug-in.

Other ways to create MIDI from audio that do not use Melodyne are V-Vocal, AudioSnap and the DrumReplacer.

I've never had a use for an audio-to-MIDI conversion, but because of reading this thread I dragged a bass track to an empty MIDI track, and it "worked," in the sense that it got all the way through the conversion and presented me with a MIDI track. But it also completely sucked. Note durations were off, ghost pickups were converted to quarter notes, and so on. I got a track, and with a couple of days of editing I might have been able to use it, but -- based on my one experiment -- this is not a very useful capability. Is anyone using this function successfully? (I have Melodyne Editor.)

On 1/26/2019 at 3:46 AM, David Zerbe said:

I do not believe that the legacy version of Cakewalk used Melodyne to make the audio to midi conversion. I installed Cakewalk Bandlab without Melodyne and the conversion works fine. I have an upgraded version of Melodyne on a different machine that the error occurs. Does Cakewalk by Bandlab have a way of choosing the app to use for the audio to midi conversion and can where might that selection or choice to change it be?

Cakewalk installs the Melodyne core libraries as part of its main install, and uses them to convert to audio to MIDI. So it is in fact Melodyne, but only a small part of it.

So what you can't do without installing Melodyne is create a Melodyne Region FX and use Melodyne to edit your audio.

The problem is that when you do install Melodyne, those core libraries are updated and so Cakewalk is then using the buggy version.

50 minutes ago, Larry Jones said:

I've never had a use for an audio-to-MIDI conversion, but because of reading this thread I dragged a bass track to an empty MIDI track, and it "worked," in the sense that it got all the way through the conversion and presented me with a MIDI track. But it also completely sucked. Note durations were off, ghost pickups were converted to quarter notes, and so on. I got a track, and with a couple of days of editing I might have been able to use it, but -- based on my one experiment -- this is not a very useful capability. Is anyone using this function successfully? (I have Melodyne Editor.)

I've had good results on piano parts, but I did have to be choosy with what algorithm I chose.

Universal or Melodic is useless for polyphonic audio to MIDI.

I find "Polyphonic (sustain)" the best most of the time, but it does depend on the material.

So if you get results that suck, create a region FX and try changing the algorithm, then drag it on to your MIDI track again.

• Thanks 1

Maybe this will shed some light on the matter:

When I installed Cakewalk Band lab, I chose NOT to install Melodyne because I already had Cakewalk Plat on my machine along with melodyne ASSISTANT installed (which is a step up from essential which commonly comes with both versions of cakewalk.

My Melodyne software either as a stand alone or vst within cakewalk bandlab works properly. It is when I drag a short audio clip from an audio track to a midi track - I used to do this all the time and it worked fine. 

Since installing bandlab - it hangs?

ISSUE NOT RESOLVED:

So uninstalling Melodyne Assistant and installing Melodyne that comes with Cakewalk by Band lab allows for the drag of audio track to midi track and expected conversion work.

HOWEVER- I upgraded a while back to Melodyne Assistant and then installing Assistant places me right back where I was - conversion errors out with computer not responding?

I think this is an issue for BandLab?

• Confused 1

As noted above, this is a known bug in all releases of Melodyne 4.2. There are two ways to deal with the problem

1)

On 1/24/2019 at 1:42 AM, msmcleod said:

The workaround is to create a Region FX first, and if necessary, re-select the appropriate algorithm.

2) Contact Celemony support and request Melodyne 4.1

• Like 1

I did reach out to Melodyne folks and they confirmed that it is an issue with Cakewalk by bandlab. Both developer teams are aware of issue. It was also sated that the region FX method is recommended work around as Melodyne tech stated that the issue is also with Cakewalk and Melodyne 4.1

Thanks to everyone for their input.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:42 PM, msmcleod said:

This is a known issue with the last two updates of Melodyne.

Basically what is happening is that Melodyne is "forgetting" its default detection algorithm, and hangs Cakewalk.

Thank you! That was a huge help!

Funny, I just updated Melodyne the other day after not even authorizing it for over 2 years.

I also have just updated CbB.

I have ONLY used it to convert real Bass into midi. 

I just dragged an audio Bass track to a midi track and it worked like it has always worked for me. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you Larry. I think it depends on how the bass was played. It certainly doesn't like any fancy picking and slapping. I find the only bug is the note durations are all overlapping, The fix is to highlight the whole track and drag them back until they don't over lap. It does take a 10- 20 minute run through to fix minor glitches.  I also have to raise it up an octave. But I have now converted probably 80 bass tracks. This has been over the last 5 years I guess and using all versions of Cakewalk. 

What's cool is for my bluegrass songs to now have access to an acoustic bass.  And for my backing tracks it gives me a dependable quantized bass line that sound almost as good as what I can get with Audio and a complicated $$ rig. I use the Ample P bass freebie. 

For serious recordings I will still use real bass but man it's hard to get that sound I'm after. 

I even used it on a version of Home Studio that was installed to a laptop that never had anything else installed ever. It works fine. 

I came to the conclusion that it was sort of built into Sonar. I tried it once on a simple guitar one note melody and it didn't work at all. It only seems to work on bass for me.  Someday maybe I'll try and sing out of key and see what Melodyn can do for that! 

43 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

Someday maybe I'll try and sing out of key and see what Melodyne can do for that! 

I do that every day (the singing out of key part).

On 1/26/2019 at 9:31 PM, msmcleod said:

...if you get results that suck, create a region FX and try changing the algorithm, then drag it on to your MIDI track again.

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.