Solid State Logic USB Interfaces

razor7music

Hey Group--

I was really excited to get an email that SSL started making smaller USB audio interfaces. Then I saw the really, really low price and my knee-jerk reaction was, uh oh.

What's everyone's thoughts on these?

EDIT: Here's SSL's site with the details. Still wanted to show the retail price with the above link.

Edited by razor7music
  • Like 1

An SSL interface is certainly a very cool thing.  For me it's like chasing after the next cool preamp/processor to add to a cluttered collection of semi/sometimes used gear.  I hope these interfaces live up to the SSL reputation.  I must check them out.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 1

These look to be pretty good. Just a few thoughts-

- If you don't need an interface this wouldn't be worth me buying to replace mine mainly because for me its mostly about the preamps. Almost 100% of interfaces have preamps good enough for serious studio work. Most won't be tracking at 24/192. Those that do the differences aren't night and day. The end result is also dependent on the mics you use and gain staging.

We can get similar results to SSL emulation with various console emulation software. If I were looking for an interface though this would be a consideration. 4 inputs minimum are best for me. That would be the only thing to strike it from my list as a consideration. 

The price point means they aren't making these in England. Like everyone else they are subbing out to China for manufacture. This is a new product. Those two factors alone probably make a good argument for waiting until the first generation is done and the "bugs" are all worked out.

• Like 2