Taal Eruption

bitflipper

Any way you could reschedule that out a little further?  I know you're a smart guy and have probably examined all of the possibilities. I would hope one of those would be delay?  I'm imagining a huge cough of heavy ash coming out of the volcano and going right into the jet engines....or a flock of birds head toward the airport trying to get away from it. I know....I'm a worry wart.

Even if I could reschedule, there's no way to predict earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. More eruptions are predicted, perhaps a Mt. St. Helens-style explosion. Anyhow it's a non-refundable ticket that I got through a promotion from Asiana Airlines that knocked $600 off the usual fare. 

The good news is we won't be going in the direction of the volcano this trip. Bad news it's only 60 km from the airport, and the ash cloud is so huge it's dusting Singapore. More bad news: they just had a series of earthquakes today up in our neighborhood in the north. There could well be some excitement.

I visited the Philippines in 1992, just after the big Mt. Pinatubo eruption. I will never forget the shocking scenes of desolation I saw. No hyperbole, it looked like frickin' Mordor. Gray ash everywhere, up to 80 feet deep. Entire towns completely erased. The highway had been obliterated so we had to navigate with the help of locals with flashlights along the path. Felt like we were navigating the Sahara with no landmarks, bridges or signs. It was the most surreal experience I've ever had that didn't involve psychedelics.

My best friend - we've been playing music together since we were 18 - is coming along this trip. Well, he wanted an adventure. Looks like he may get it.