MIdi Tracks Volume drop... no automation and no volume events ?

C. A. Hamman

I am having this problem as well. The VST doesn't seem to matter (Sine, Kontakt, Aria, all yield the same results). Right now I'm doing a few percussion tracks with choir, and in order to bring the midi percussion up high enough, I have the gain and volume fader set to FULL, and I've added the Boost11 effect. It is balanced and sounds fine, but I just don't get the soft volume. I don't have this issue in Reaper, so I know it is something going on in Cakewalk. 

I did try moving the midi notes to a different channel, and that did not resolve the softness. I'd be curious if anyone else has learned anything else!

• 9 months later...

- I've been using Cakewalk since Sonar 3. 

I have multiple midi tracks going through multiple synths (most notably Garritan), played in using a keyboard and drawing the midi control channels (volume, CC1, CC11). 

Occasionally, I see midi track volume doesn't follow the envelope I've drawn, or it responds as if there are two tracks trying to control the same envelope, i.e., if I had one track sending to channel 5 on synth 1 and another track sending to channel 5 on synth 2. Both tracks would be controlling midi channel 5.  

But, in this case, I have not duplicated midi channels.  Looking at the faders on the synth I can watch see the volume on one channel fails to respond to the volume envelope. That said, I can assign the envelope to CC 7 (volume), create a new volume envelope, draw a new pattern, and it seems to work (for a while).  If I fix one section, another section, on another track will stop responding. 

As C. A. Hamman mentioned, there is nothing in the events, so no way to edit the midi signals.  

It would be nice if we had a way to display the midi signals and then edit what is being sent to the synth.  

I have done thousands and thousands of staff view and piano roll view MIDI edits dating back to Cake Pro Audio days. I have never seen this. Could someone post a .cwp we could download to check?  Also, an numbered step by step formula to reproduce this would be helpful. I would be interested in looking at it. The only errors I have ever seen is envelopes getting disconnected from their source.

Just a thought. Are these midi tracks created using comping mode?  I have had lots of weird things happen only to find out I had started a project from a template that had comping mode on. I have always used overdub for this very reason. I prefer that parts I screwed up are totally eliminated. 
So not sure how comping mode handles midi cc events. But there could be hidden data?