Something Coming from Output on January 14th

Reid Rosefelt

The price seems typical for [low] mid-end studio monitors. What I'm not comfortable with are the "hand-crafted wood bases". When I go shopping for tools I look at the looks just enough to evaluate their utility, e.g. build quality (materials, mechanics, finish) or user interface comfort (speed and clarity). The more it looks like something you could hang on your wall and make hipsters go "ooohh", the faster I walk away from it. Because things like "hand-crafted wood bases" suggest to me that a considerable amount of money went to luxury when it could have gone towards enhancing the chamber, drivers or electronics. I get it if your speakers cost $200,000 and there's no technical aspect left to refine further and you want to blow more money into it, but for a monitor in this price range it seems anti-utilitarian and consequently excludes me as a customer. It may also in a matter of seconds stain your brand in my mind for years to come, because there's so much stuff on offer that simply glancing at the fundamentally flawed is a waste of time. I'm not saying they need to look ugly to be high quality, because it's not the case. Sometimes great engineering by nature leads to construction that requires the least effort in molding it into an aesthetic finish. But function wins over form when it comes to nearly anything to do with tech, and monitors are tools first and decoration last. /rant...

The main issue IMHO is there are good choices at lower price points. This almost looks as if they are targeting the smaller income producing studio. Most certainly not small home studios. I know this is all subjective too because some have a lot of loot to spend on home studios. My perception of the "average" home studio is that this price point is too high when decent monitors can be had for 100-200 each.

It's their game and the shots they call will determine where it goes. I will be interested to see how they fare against others. I have to hand it to them to be so bold as to introduce a product into an area already saturated with competition.

So are they better than these?  ... https://www.iskproaudio.com/collections/frontpage/products/aps-klassik

I haven't heard the ISK monitors either but they are a company known for some good quality for the money stuff if you want something without the name brand marketing etc....  At this price point there are a lot of good options, even with name brands on them so it will be interesting to hear the reviews.