Nothing but Static in Bandlab

Frank DeFede

When I open my projects, I am getting nothing but static now.  This has never happened before.  I just did the upgrade that was available.  I suppose that has something to do with it.  Any help or suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you

Edited by Frank DeFede

The good news is that it probably hasn't anything to do with the upgrade.

"Static" is often used for many meanings, so it's not a particularly helpful description. Do you hear garbled playback, or a steady hiss?

Are you using WASAPI or ASIO, and what are your buffer sizes?

38 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

"Static" is often used for many meanings, so it's not a particularly helpful description. Do you hear garbled playback, or a steady hiss?

This is an excellent point--the need for more descriptive phrases for labeling auditory anomalies (maybe even a companion listening guide with audio snippets).  One time I reported something that I had to describe as "It sound like two audio drivers competing for the same audio signal" which is very different from the sounds of "mismatched audio sample rates," both being different than garbled playback and steady hiss.  I know I have audio of a couple of sample rate mismatches--somewhere in some files.

8 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Thank you for responding, yes I hear gabbled playback, and not hiss, but static.

10 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Please list:

OS version and build

Driver Mode

Sample Rate

ASIO Buffer Size

Is audio interface maintainance current?

Thank you for your response.  

Os Version and Build

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1903

Installed on 9/6/19

OS Build 18362.535

-------------------------------------

Driver Mode - Presonus FireStudios - Driver Version is 4.2.1.46437 Driver Date 3/26/2016 Using Asio

--------------------------------------

Sample Rate - 44.1, Clock Source FireStudio Tube Master

ASIO Buffer Size - 32

Is audio interface maintainance current?  Not sure how to verify this, I think so

9 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Thank you for your reponse, I am using ASIO, I am hearing grabbled Audio, and Cracking sounds.

Static/distortion is a symptom of the DAW not being able to produce audio fast enough for the driver at that buffer size. Try raising your buffer size to something higher like 64 or 128 samples and check again.

@Frank DeFede Are you sure that you were previously running with the device set to 32 samples? That is a very low sample size and not many drivers handle those smaller sizes. Also which version of Cakewalk specifically did you have installed previously?

Please attach a screenshot of the Device settings page from preferences.

• Like 1