ACT and transport controls

Michael Warren

Question

4 answers to this question

Cakewalk does not internally support MMC for controlling transport from surface. That can be configured, but the same way as other messages.

ACT MIDI supports 8 buttons (+1 to switch function of these 8). So you can assign transport buttons to these "buttons" and configure them to do transport actions (what buttons do is configurable in the options tab). User manual and related videos explain how to do this. But you can configure 8+1 buttons in total, not more.

Generic Surface supports transport and additional controls (including buttons). But it does not support arbitrary commands and control banks.

Both does not support feedback (button LEDs, encoder rings, fader movement, etc.).

If your device supports Mackie mode, you can try to use it with Mackie module. The functionality depends from the level at which device emulate Mackie.

If all that can not do what you want, for one or another reason, you can use AZ Controller. Configuring it for your needs can take some time. That depends from the device and required functionality.  If you have simple device without feedback and just want strip controls + transport buttons, that will take just several minutes with Startup preset. If you have complicated device with feedback and/or want tricky functionality, that can take weeks. To get an idea what can take weeks, check the documentation for preset created by one (smart) user: http://www.azslow.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=301.0;attach=429

Thanks again for your very informative response. I got the Maudio Code 61 and it transmits Mackie on port 3. Trying to find an act template for it, but no luck.

I may have to program buttons which I've done before in Act. Funny my bluetooth Logitech Kybd has rewind/play/pause button that work right out of the box. You'd think they would have made it just as easy with controllers.

Mackie is a separate surface plug-in. Instantiate it and point to port 3. In the configuration disable handshake. If Code really sends Mackie transport, it should work.

You still can use something else for other ports. Note that Mackie plug-in completely block specified port MIDI, so do not point it to normal ports. Also it sends feedback, that can trigger MIDI loops if configured incorrectly (on the keyboard side or setting wrong output port for Mackie plug-in).

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Michael Warren said:

Thanks again for your very informative response. I got the Maudio Code 61 and it transmits Mackie on port 3. Trying to find an act template for it, but no luck.

I may have to program buttons which I've done before in Act. Funny my bluetooth Logitech Kybd has rewind/play/pause button that work right out of the box. You'd think they would have made it just as easy with controllers.

If it transmits using the Mackie protocol on port 3, then don't use ACT - use the Mackie Control Control Surface plugin.

Ahh - @azslow3 has just beaten me to it :)