Lady in the Lake

Keith Wilby

Hi all, here's another project (I think) I've nearly finished. Based loosely on a murder that happened close to where I live some time ago, the story unfolds from the murderer's viewpoint as he taunts his victim, his wife.

It's definitely an "album track" owing to its duration but I'm hoping it has enough going on to carry it without anyone yawning, but please do shout up if you do yawn and it's my fault.

I hope you enjoy it despite my woeful attempts to play lead guitar.

• Like 2

Cool and yet, not cool, thematically. It's a dark tale orchestrated by Pink Floyd and sung by Peter Gabriel? Pretty awesome neighborhood. The song, that is, not the one in the song.  :)

You might bring that snare forward and make it more of a powerful contributor by pulling back a bit on ye olde reverb. Have you tried the snare crackin' right up front? Just a thought - maybe the tune would pick up a little more drive with a more present snare. But the drive is already there, it's a grinder.

A couple of compression-y overload crackles? I dunno, :26?   5:00?  

That's a really cool vocal performance, dude. I didn't mind the length. Good tune, good job!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, emeraldsoul said:

Cool and yet, not cool, thematically. It's a dark tale orchestrated by Pink Floyd and sung by Peter Gabriel? Pretty awesome neighborhood. The song, that is, not the one in the song.  :)

You might bring that snare forward and make it more of a powerful contributor by pulling back a bit on ye olde reverb. Have you tried the snare crackin' right up front? Just a thought - maybe the tune would pick up a little more drive with a more present snare. But the drive is already there, it's a grinder.

A couple of compression-y overload crackles? I dunno, :26?   5:00?  

That's a really cool vocal performance, dude. I didn't mind the length. Good tune, good job!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom, I'll check my project for those crackles. Mightily flattered by the Floyd and Gabriel references, they're giants to me. Will tinker with the snare as suggested, I might be old but one is never too old to learn. Happy to know that the vocal is appreciated as I've never been confident in my voice, although I've tried to make it sound as if the storyteller is getting more and more depraved as the song progresses :)

Everything's very well done esp the vocal. Pretty sinister sounding dude. He's saying all this to his wife? Who is still alive? Wow.
I thought at first that your other post about the Scorned Woman was related to this song, like they're both part of the same story, but guess not.
Seems to me like you need another song or more to tell the whole story.

Nits
I wanted the guitar to stand out more at ~3:35
The song is pretty long, though it didn't seem that way the first time through. On the second listen I noticed that the lyrics kept repeating themselves, so I don't know, you could trim a bit there. Just my lonely opinion.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

I wanted the guitar to stand out more at ~3:35
On the second listen I noticed that the lyrics kept repeating themselves, so I don't know, you could trim a bit there. Just my lonely opinion.

Hi Bjorn and thanks for your comments. In the real life story, the murderer disposed of his wife's body in a lake called Coniston Water in NW England, which is surrounded by hills. In my mind I had the guitarist playing atop one of the hills and the murderer hearing it in the distance as he tipped the body out of his boat, which is why it's relatively quiet there.

Good point about the repeated lyrics, I'll have a think about that one. Thanks again.