Speaking of KISS..

Christian Jones

I'm a huge KISS fan, but I'm not gonna pretend to have been one since I was a kid. I wasn't. I didn't dislike them per se, but as a latchkey kid who grew up on MTV when it was just videos they just weren't Europe or Bon Jovi enough for me. But around six years ago when I started putting in an hour daily on the elliptical, that's when I truly "discovered" KISS. The hour-long workout allowed me to hear an entire album each day and I went through their whole discography chronologically this way. And I've been given some s#!t for this but I came out of that with my favorite album of theirs being Music from "The Elder." The other albums are great, and actually I'd say my second favorite KISS album is "Dynasty" which along with "The Elder" essentially has me b@st@rdized from the rest of the Army. But "The Elder" was something different and sounded a lot like BOC to me who, incidentally, I had also discovered chronologically back then just prior to taking on KISS. And of course I didn't have that set in stone bias of having been a classic KISS fan from childhood. I've never heard of this show.. it looks like something my Grandma would've watched, but KISS does a great job on "The Oath" here, especially Gene, and while it's hard to hear in this video this song actually has a constant double kick going throughout the chorus. 

• Like 1

I'm a huge KISS fan too.  I couldn't possibly pick one favorite album but I have many friends who are huge fans of The Elder. My own guilty pleasure would probably be Unmasked. I just love a well put together pop rock song.

Every year in Vegas, we have this thing called KISS Night in Las Vegas, put together by friends of ours. I've participated a few times - actually my profile pic was taken at KISS Night a few years ago -  and my wife is invited every year. She also sang on their cover of I Still Love You which was released last year or the year before.

Each installment is centered around an album and I'm guessing that The Elder should be featured sooner or later.  I've spoke to hundreds of fans at those events, and no one has ever really put down any album - and we all have our "guilty pleasure".

By the way, The Elder door is down here in Vegas too, at KISS Mini Golf.  Here's a pic taken at my birthday a few years ago...

Collage_Fotor_Fotor.jpg

11050750_10153092089647582_8426086049092957733_n.jpg

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

D@mn that looks and sounds like fun dude, nice pics. "I Still Love You" is my favorite song of theirs by far. Paul Stanley's also my favorite rock singer. That's actually always been the case even before I became a fan. My favorite type of rock vocalist are those like Jim Morrison, Billy Idol, Danzig, and of course Elvis who they all are derivatives of to some degree, especially Danzig. But Paul's got that voice when he was at the top of his game, such as in this video. Another vocalist with a very similar sound to Paul Stanley would be Jeff Scott Soto who sang on Yngwie's "I'll See the Light Tonight." What I've really wanted to see but have never been able to find is Paul Stanley performing "Phantom of the Opera"  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, craigb said:

Nice pics Rain!  White guitar for live use, black and/or red for studio use, eh? 😁

The first rock album I ever had (translation "was allowed to have by my parents!" LOL) was KISS Rock and Roll Over.

It's actually my favorite guitar - although I really like to practice on the Jackson Randy Rhoads because it's so comfortable for someone who likes to play in the classical position. But I always get back to that white LP.

Rock and Roll over is the first KISS album I heard but I didn't really discover them until a few years later, with Creatures of the Night. One could say that that record set the tone to my musical life  - it was dark, heavy, simple and coherent and with HUGE drums.

Funny anecdote - I started listening to KISS again around the same time as I met my wife. I remember one evening in our room in Russia I was listening to I Still Love You and she asked me  "What's that song you're always listening to?" Fact is, I was listening to the whole album but she noticed this one in particular.

She was no fan of KISS back then so when I told her I could imagine her singing that song, she didn't really care for the idea. But after we moved here and met the KISS Night folks, they invited us to play and asked what song we'd play - to which I immediately replied I Still Love You. We played it together and the crowd went nuts (if I'm not mistaken, at least two of those pictures above were taken during that song).

It became HER KISS song, so now she gets to sing it every year with the biggest names on the bill. When they released the first single, of course they wanted it to be that one.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

My first two favorite bands were Kiss and Queen back in grade school. I remember Kiss as being the most popular and heavy band at that time with so much TV publicity, even a TV movie and merchandise. I was programmed from youth to be in the Kiss army. I still like to bring back a few to do live on occasion. My favorite would have to be.