Suggestions for a microphone upgrade (<$600) - Rode NT2000?

Sven

Question

I'm currently using Bandlab with an Audio-Technica AT 2035 as my main microphone for vocals and acoustic guitar recording.  The mike goes through a PreSonus AudioBox USB96 and into a Win 7 64 bit computer system running Bandlab.

For some reason I'm not enamored with what I'm hearing with this microphone and I am considering an upgrade.  It may not be the microphone that's the problem (God knows it's not my singing ability!) but I think I would like to try something else.   My Tele guitar going through the same PreSonus box using Amplitude 4 sounds great.  

Where I'm living there are not a lot of microphone choices without a special order being placed.   One microphone readily available in stock here is this one:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/rode-nt2000-review-2/

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-nt2000-nt1a

Although this isn't a Bandlab specific question I do enjoy this forum and find the answers to be quite helpful.  Has anyone had any good/bad experiences using this microphone?  Does anyone have any other suggestions for microphones in a similar price range?  

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

What is it you don't like about the AT? Are you finding it too bright, too muddy, or something else? Once you identify that, it will be easier to pick the right microphone. 

I currently use a Blue Baby Bottle for 75% of my vocal recording. It's considerably darker than other condenser microphones. It's response seems closer to a ribbon microphone but I really like that. If that's not working, I'll shift to a Sontronics Orpheus which is brighter.  I'm in Scotland so I'm not sure how much these mics are in USD. 

Edited by Light Grenade

If you're just using the mic for yourself, I'd strongly recommend either hiring some mics or trying them out in a store/studio before buying anything.

One mic may sound great on one person's voice but terrible on another's. It doesn't mean it's a bad mic... just not suitable for that person.

I've got a few condensers, but I almost always revert to my Shure SM-58 for my own vocals, simply because it suits my voice best.

• Like 1

Just my personal opinion but unless you need the switch's for cardiod/Omni patterns, save yourself a boatload and go with a RODE NT 1000. they can be bought used for a little over a 100.00 bucks. I have one of the first models ever produced and it has been my work horse for Vocals and Acoustic guitars for over 20 years now. Its the same technology as its older brother (the NT2000) with the transformerless/ JFET electronics. Same frequency specs as well with a presence boost around 12k, perfect for Vocals. I have also found the NT1000 to be more forgiving towards low rumble and noise where the NT2000 utilizes the basket harness and very susceptible to any floor movements, vibrations.

The RODE NT1000 go for about 350.00 USA dollars brand new.

I have a Warm Audio WA-47, and it sounds fantastic.  That being said, I concur with @msmcleod on finding a studio or music store, where you can listen to yourself singing through several mics, to help you make the best choice.

It does no good to spend a bucket of money for a particular mic, if it doesn't 'fit' your voice.

Here is a link to the product page for the WA-47, and a link to it at Sweetwater. Sweetwater has doc available on a mic shootout they did. That page also has several short videos on that mic, and their studio mic buying guide link is farther down the page:

WA-47-Product-Page

Sweetwater-WA-47-mic

Sweetwater -Mic-Shootout-50-Mics

Bob Bone

Sorry for the delay replying to this thread.  Thanks for all your responses.

Perhaps I should explain my situation a little clearer.  I'm retired in a lovely country but in a city with no professional recording studios and only a couple of music stores that might have a professional mike available.  I could probably locate a professional recording studio to visit with a 1-2 hour plane ride that might have mikes I could sample.  I can't try anything where I am.  There is also about a 10%-20% price increase based on taxes or whatever compared to normal Sweetwater prices from what I can see.  

Having said that, this Rode mike just happens to be available here which is why I inquired about what people on this forum think of that particular mike.  I can order any mike from anywhere in the world but I'll probably have to pay high import taxes.  I've been told by other musicians living here that it's easiest to buy within the country.  That's why I bought my M-Audio FastTrack Pro, PreSonus USB 96,  ATH M50 headphones, AT 2035, SM-58, and JBL MK II Series 3 monitors locally. 

The last mike I used in the States about 18 years ago was a Marshall MXL-2003A but I don't have that here (yet).  I liked that mike at the time.  There's nothing particularly wrong with the AT.    My budget has increased from what it was at the time I got my previous mikes.   So my idea was to get a higher priced 'better' mike that seems like a safe bet to please most vocalists...I realize there's not one 'best mike' for all singers.   I've been writing and recording music for 40 years but at the end of the day I'm a songwriter, not a professional recording engineer.   I just try to make things sound as good as I possible given my budget at the time.   

I'll check out the microphones mentioned in your responses to see if they might be available here and what the prices would be.   The WA-47 looks like something I might enjoy using.

Thanks again.

11 hours ago, Sven said:

Sorry for the delay replying to this thread.  Thanks for all your responses.

Perhaps I should explain my situation a little clearer.  I'm retired in a lovely country but in a city with no professional recording studios and only a couple of music stores that might have a professional mike available.  I could probably locate a professional recording studio to visit with a 1-2 hour plane ride that might have mikes I could sample.  I can't try anything where I am.  There is also about a 10%-20% price increase based on taxes or whatever compared to normal Sweetwater prices from what I can see.  

Having said that, this Rode mike just happens to be available here which is why I inquired about what people on this forum think of that particular mike.  I can order any mike from anywhere in the world but I'll probably have to pay high import taxes.  I've been told by other musicians living here that it's easiest to buy within the country.  That's why I bought my M-Audio FastTrack Pro, PreSonus USB 96,  ATH M50 headphones, AT 2035, SM-58, and JBL MK II Series 3 monitors locally. 

The last mike I used in the States about 18 years ago was a Marshall MXL-2003A but I don't have that here (yet).  I liked that mike at the time.  There's nothing particularly wrong with the AT.    My budget has increased from what it was at the time I got my previous mikes.   So my idea was to get a higher priced 'better' mike that seems like a safe bet to please most vocalists...I realize there's not one 'best mike' for all singers.   I've been writing and recording music for 40 years but at the end of the day I'm a songwriter, not a professional recording engineer.   I just try to make things sound as good as I possible given my budget at the time.   

I'll check out the microphones mentioned in your responses to see if they might be available here and what the prices would be.   The WA-47 looks like something I might enjoy using.

Thanks again.

I absolutely LOVE my WA-47. I bought a $9,000 Sony mic for my son, and personally like the performance of the WA-47 just as much.  Different mics 'fit' different vocalists subjectively better than others, and  I am quite happy with the WA-47.

Bob Bone

The WA-47 and the WA-47 Jr. are available where I live.  The price for the WA-47 is about 160% more than in the States!  It still sounds like what might be my best choice.  The WA=47 Jr. is priced more reasonably here but sounds like it's not in the same league based on online reviews.

1 hour ago, Sven said:

The WA-47 and the WA-47 Jr. are available where I live.  The price for the WA-47 is about 160% more than in the States!  It still sounds like what might be my best choice.  The WA=47 Jr. is priced more reasonably here but sounds like it's not in the same league based on online reviews.

Yikes, on the price difference, sorry.  Can you not buy one from the US and get it shipped?  Where do you live?

Can you not exploit the  returns policys of online shops and buy-return  until you find your favourite for your needs? Somebody's favourite is another's rejection when it comes to microphones. Sampling at stores is mostly useless, same  applies with recording studios: try it with your gear, your room and with time (14-30 days returns policy is quite normal in webshops).

Your budget offers a huge choice. I would start with the industry standards: AKG, Shure, Sennheiser, Sony, etc. Just browse what's recommended for vocals. Surely you can start with the Rode you mentioned 👍