Bitwig 16 Track

Sander Verstraten

Bitwig announced their Intro version Bitwig 16 Track for $99

https://www.bitwig.com/en/16-track.html

It's quite a limited version. And doesn't have apart from the track count, have many advantages to the 8-Track version that is part of some Interfaces/given away with magazines.eu

I made a feature comparison file.

Bitwig Comparison.xlsx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll bet that this explains why my 8-Track version refuses to update anymore. They want $100 for something that came with my Panorama P6 years ago.

I found it unusable in practice, given the numerous limitations. I wouldn't pay a nickel for the 16-track version.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, paulo said:

Not sure anyone would pay that much for a crippled DAW these days.

You'd be FAR FAR ahead buying Studio One Artist or Cubase Elements
at that price than Bitwig 16 Track...or Mixbus, or Mixcraft Pro

Edited by cclarry

I too bought into the Ableton Live hype back when Bitwig 1 was rolling out. I thought all those people can't be wrong and the Live workflow must be fantastic.

So I got Bitwig and sat down to study the ways of the mystics, to find the flow. Well, I didn't find it. I tried using the clips launcher for creating phrases and arranging, but I was unable to produce anything interesting and after finding the most basic functionality unpolished I just tossed Bitwig.

Years later I watched some nimble knob-twiddler create a cheesy track quickly using Live and Push on YouTube. So I got Push and tried Bitwig again. No dice.

It just didn't and doesn't work for me and only after wasting a lot of time did I realize it's because I simply don't work that way. And trying to use Bitwig 1 like I had used Cubase was a traumatic experience which still evokes vivid memories of suffering to this day.

Not dissing Live/Bitwig. If it works for you then more power to you. But if it doesn't, there likely is nothing wrong with you. I sure took my time figuring that one out.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2020 at 4:25 PM, Fleer said:

I do like its look. Had it for years. Never used it. 

On 1/10/2020 at 6:29 PM, kitekrazy said:

I got other DAWs and the same excuse.

I got VSTs in that boat too.

The only DAW I own that I've yet to use to *any* extent is Mixcraft 9.

• Like 1

At least Reason 11 Intro comes with the rack plugin (making Europa & NN-XT usable in any other DAW).
And Ableton Intro is still Ableton. Huge community, lots of free (and paid) packs and tutorials.
Bitwig 16 track isn't really worth it.
It feels like a (late) answer to Ableton Intro (even has the same features) AND in Europe it costs €99 unlike Reason and Ableton Intro, which both cost €79.

Edited by Cristian

2 hours ago, Bapu said:

I got VSTs in that boat too.

The only DAW I own that I've yet to use to *any* extent is Mixcraft 9.

For me it's any Harrison DAW, Cubase 10.  I'm ashamed to admit I don't have my Axe I/O hooked up to my main system.  The issue is making  space.  It's in another room with an old Intel Q6600 system. 

I got Thorn during Xmas and just tried it out yesterday.

I stopped my CM sub because I don't need anymore free stuff.  I'm trying to avoid free plugins and Kontakt libraries. My main system has over 7tb of storage and there's not a lot of breathing room.   If you want to fill them up quickly get a loop subscription and never miss an opportunity for free and low cost Kontakt libraries.