Simple key bind to play selection

RBH

Is there a way to simply and quickly playback a region defined by the time line selection ? With out needing to set a loop point or specifically set start and stop point ? I was looking to see of there was a way to Key bind such a thing - but I didn't find a way to actually just play ( one off ) from the time line selection. I'm looking for very quick,  fast way to mouse swipe a section in the time line and trigger playback. Seems like an obvious capability.  Or- maybe it's there and my old work habits are blinding me to it ?

47 minutes ago, RBH said:

Is there a way to simply and quickly playback a region defined by the time line selection ? With out needing to set a loop point or specifically set start and stop point ? I was looking to see of there was a way to Key bind such a thing - but I didn't find a way to actually just play ( one off ) from the time line selection. I'm looking for very quick,  fast way to mouse swipe a section in the time line and trigger playback. Seems like an obvious capability.  Or- maybe it's there and my old work habits are blinding me to it ?

Would one of these work for your needs until such time as there is a "Play back selected region" function (if its not there already)?  

image.png.c727ffff2e782688dc5ac32528c7275f.png

Edited by User 905133
to add "(if its not there already)"

Those functions are all relevant and I use them regularly - But they also take visual focus from the track view to operate, it's that short interruption that I'm wishing I could solve. Typically, I'm focused on short specific regions for detailed waveform editing, setting loop points doesn't trigger playback from the loop start time and multiple repeats on short regions is really disruptive.

It would be useful to make a selection and invoke a single key command to play the region a single time and allowing rapid resetting of regions for comparing similar sections. It seems so basic - that I think I'm just missing the command somehow and I've been messing with Cakewalk for about 30 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RBH said:

Those functions are all relevant and I use them regularly - But they also take visual focus from the track view to operate, it's that short interruption that I'm wishing I could solve. Typically, I'm focused on short specific regions for detailed waveform editing, setting loop points doesn't trigger playback from the loop start time and multiple repeats on short regions is really disruptive.

It would be useful to make a selection and invoke a single key command to play the region a single time and allowing rapid resetting of regions for comparing similar sections. It seems so basic - that I think I'm just missing the command somehow and I've been messing with Cakewalk for about 30 years.

Thanks for the reply. I think your suggestion for a command that can be bound to a key for a "Play Selection" feature would be handy!!!**

If the developers can add that, it would be nice to have it also listed as a possible command for the Custom Module for people like me (1) who cannot remember all the key-bindings/shortcuts and/or (2) who find menus (and the per Workspace Custom Module) useful.

**if its not available already and we just can't find it

Thanks much -  I can't believe I didn't  come across this.

This also sets a loop point automatically to the selection. Would be nice to optionally not set a loop point, but this gets  me there quickly.  

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1