Hope this is proper forum-Audio interface question-advice

Pathfinder

PreSonus Studio 1810c USB-C Audio Interface #399 They have a $499 one also but this seems fine. drivers are my main concern.

So, I was looking at these. Features and price are the main reasons. I am only in a home studio. Wondering about the drives.
Presently, I still use my Echo Layla 3G (with a PCI express adapter card. Echo is PCI only and my new PC does not have any.
It does work OK, but just thinking about upgrading but not sure if this would be an upgrade? Would also be nice to free up the pci express slot for an M.2 nvme or something like that.

Also, I do have a warm Audio Mic Pre that I love. 
$$$ is important, so cannot go RME, etc. $500 tops.
Thanks

Edited by Pathfinder

Magma makes a PCI expansion chassis that I've seen UAD users put their PCI cards in. Here' s one on EBay;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magma-PE6R4-I-6-Slot-PCI-Express-Expansion-Chassis-w-PCIe-Host-Card/254473727618?epid=1501629385&hash=item3b3fd0ee82:g:YdUAAOSwh8pd-9T-

There might be similar boxes out there. Personally never used one of these so you should query other users.  Keeps your Layla going and works for your budget.

My main rig still uses a 12 year old  Motu MKIII Firewire with my new Intel i9900 and Asus Motherboard.

My AMD rig uses 6i6 2nd gen from Focusrite (USB type 2).

I like Motu`s 2 newest USB type C interface audio interfaces . Their M2 2x2 ($169) or the M4 4x4 ($219),

both have MIDI, but are USB type C. 

I still use SPDIF for down streaming mixes,  so I`m waiting to order the M4 4X4. 

Otherwise I would have one right now.  Depending on your PC, you might want to add a PCIe  to type C USB adapter card. Luckily I have USB type C on both of my new PCs.

I found this looking for a better cable answer.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTU-M2-USB-C-Audio-Interface/dp/B0812B26TN

From Amazon reviews:

"what type of USB  cable is included?"

"USB C goes into the back of the unit, regular USB A to the computer. It works great!!"

1 hour ago, davet said:

Magma makes a PCI expansion chassis that I've seen UAD users put their PCI cards in. Here' s one on EBay;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magma-PE6R4-I-6-Slot-PCI-Express-Expansion-Chassis-w-PCIe-Host-Card/254473727618?epid=1501629385&hash=item3b3fd0ee82:g:YdUAAOSwh8pd-9T-

There might be similar boxes out there. Personally never used one of these so you should query other users.  Keeps your Layla going and works for your budget.

Thanks. I do have an adapter card. Just wondering because the Echo drivers are certainly not updated. 

50 minutes ago, don belisle said:

My main rig still uses a 12 year old  Motu MKIII Firewire with my new Intel i9900 and Asus Motherboard.

My AMD rig uses 6i6 2nd gen from Focusrite (USB type 2).

I like Motu`s 2 newest USB type C interface audio interfaces . Their M2 2x2 ($169) or the M4 4x4 ($219),

both have MIDI, but are USB type C. 

I still use SPDIF for down streaming mixes,  so I`m waiting to order the M4 4X4. 

Otherwise I would have one right now.  Depending on your PC, you might want to add a PCIe  to type C USB adapter card. Luckily I have USB type C on both of my new PCs.

I found this looking for a better cable answer.

https://www.amazon.com/MOTU-M2-USB-C-Audio-Interface/dp/B0812B26TN

From Amazon reviews:

"what type of USB  cable is included?"

"USB C goes into the back of the unit, regular USB A to the computer. It works great!!"

I have a newer MB Asus Prime Z-370 A with a couple of C slots. My PC build is new-I always build my own. I opted for the 8 gen 8700, works great for my needs. Geforce 1060 8GB, 32gb corsair ram, etc, etc, M.2 NVME for samples and Samsung SSD 850 for OS. Audio I still use reg HD, but newest specs-SATA6??

I am thinking about a thunderbolt 3 add on, MB is setup for it.

Thanks

6 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I have a newer MB Asus Prime Z-370 A with a couple of C slots. My PC build is new-I always build my own. I opted for the 8 gen 8700, works great for my needs. Geforce 1060 8GB, 32gb corsair ram, etc, etc, M.2 NVME for samples and Samsung SSD 850 for OS. Audio I still use reg HD, but newest specs-SATA6??

I am thinking about a thunderbolt 3 add on, MB is setup for it.

Thanks

I happen to have a UAD Arrow Thunderbolt 3 audio interface, that I use with my laptop, for both live performance and for mobile recording sessions.  It is, without a doubt, the most insanely high data transfer rate I have ever seen in an audio interface - just amazing. 

This is a small interface, and there are other Thunderbolt 3 interfaces available with more ins and outs, but for my needs the Arrow is just amazing.  (I had shopped specifically for a laptop that supported Thunderbolt 3, and chose the Dell Alienware 17 R5, which also supports multiple M.2 2280 NVME PCIe drives and a standard SSD).

Bob Bone

23 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I happen to have a UAD Arrow Thunderbolt 3 audio interface, that I use with my laptop, for both live performance and for mobile recording sessions.  It is, without a doubt, the most insanely high data transfer rate I have ever seen in an audio interface - just amazing. 

This is a small interface, and there are other Thunderbolt 3 interfaces available with more ins and outs, but for my needs the Arrow is just amazing.  (I had shopped specifically for a laptop that supported Thunderbolt 3, and chose the Dell Alienware 17 R5, which also supports multiple M.2 2280 NVME PCIe drives and a standard SSD).

Bob Bone

Hey Bob

I have to look into that. the Asus MB I have is ready for TB3 adapter. Not sure yet if I would need the converter from TB2 totb3 Jim R. mentioned in another thread. Asus says I don't need the converter though. I need to check, but that's not a deal breaker. I have gotten comfortable over the years with a zillion ins and outs.-Echo Layla 3G is 10\10 aand so is my Octacapture which I have never used. I monitor thru a mixing board.

Thanks.

@Pathfinder Please list you motherboard model, and I will take a look at its specs, for TB3.  The Arrow I have does not work with TB2, not sure about any converters.  If indeed your motherboard has a TB3 header on it, you should be golden - the Arrow I currently use ran $499 - there is now a Presonus TB3 8-channel interface that seems to be running at around $599, I just checked at Sweetwater, though I am sure it is widely available.

I don't know if the Presonus comes with any plugins or goodies, beyond their entry-level Studio One version, but the UAD Arrow came with a set of really nice plugins.  There may well also be additional models from both of these companies, and from other companies.  These two are a good place to start, and I can tell you flat out that I have had stellar success with the Arrow - amazing data transfer with TB3, and it is rock solid.

I DO have to tell you that the cable length MATTERS, in terms of data transfer bandwidth. so be aware of that.  I bought a couple of different lengths, and with the longer cable, the transfer speed drops in half, so I normally use the shorter cable - which is REALLY short, and that is annoying, because I have to then keep it immediately next to my laptop, and that is a bit of a pain - not sure what I would do with regard to using the Presonus, as it is considerably larger, and having to keep it literally less than a foot away (might be less than that, by the way, I don't have the cable next to me at the moment, but it is certainly crazy short for an audio interface cable), would annoy me to no end.  I just wanted to let you know this, because you will certainly want to factor in where you would be placing whatever TB3 interface you end up with.  WELL worth whatever annoyance the cable length sacrafice for speed brings.  There are also TB3 docking stations that may end up helping to allow keeping the interface a bit farther away from the computer.  When I looked at those, which was about a year ago, they were quite pricey.

Here are the product pages for both the Arrow and the Quantum 2626:

UAD-Arrow

Presonus-Quantum-2626

Bob Bone

For recording any acoustic instrument, the most important ingredients, descending , are player, instrument, room, mic, pre and conversion.

for an interface less than $500 I love the audient line.  The TAscam line, too, is fine.  The TAscam uh 7000 is a superior audiophile unit with bad drivers, but if you go digitally into another unit you can get the best of both worlds, tho the TAscam must be the master.  Over 500$ is lynx card.

the warm pre should give you nice options with a transformer sound as opposed to cleaner ic interface.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 11:18 AM, Pathfinder said:

Hello Robert,

Ausu says my MB is TB3 ready with 5 pin connector. Asus Prime Z370-A

GREAT motherboard.  The dual M.2 support is awesome, and it does indeed have support for TB3, however , you need an add-on card to actually use TB3.   M.2 2280 NVME drives are super fast for storing sample libs.

Here is the ASUS TB3 add-on card page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/ThunderboltEX-3/

NOT a converter, by the way - it is purely for TB3. BLAZING fast, but needs super -short cable for 40 Gb/sec speed. The max speed  drops to 20 Gb/sec when longer cable is used. 

Here is a link for an idea on cost of add-on TB3 card: https://www.microcenter.com/product/466938/asus-thunderbolt-expansion-card-for-asus-z170-and-x99-motherboards

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Added link
  • Like 1

Thanks Alan and Bob - appreciate the input. I do us an  M.2 2280 NVME drive

for samples-super fast. Part of the reason I posted this was to see about freeing up the other m.2 slot. I need to get rid of the pci E adapter card for the echo Layla 3G PCI card to do that. Hence my inquiry's. The audient line I looked at did NOT have midi. I need midi big time. I know there are ways around this. I have a multitude of Midi devices, boxes, adapters, etc, etc. I should probably sell 3/4's of them.

But I like everything all in one.
I am not a well off person so I probablty should give the Roland Octacapture a shot for real. Never really did, Bought it as a backup.

I am really liking what aI read about the PreSonus Quantum 2626 26x26 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface.$599 is a in my arena. Jim R. had nie things to say about it also. I have goten use to the rackmount Echo lalyla 3G form. Fits nicely in with warm audio Mic pre.

Also like this  Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge (Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card Component) $98. or $59 for a lesser Gigabyte model.

Not available yet at Sweetwater where I can buy with nio interest, Hmmm! 

Don't know what your input requirements are, but this USB-C interface by SSL looks really interesting, and at a great price point. I have the Echo Layla 3G as well, but I know it's out of production and not supported any longer. It's only a matter of time before I'll be forced to get a new interface.

Edited by razor7music
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I am really liking what aI read about the PreSonus Quantum 2626 26x26 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface.$599 is a in my arena. Jim R. had nie things to say about it also. I have goten use to the rackmount Echo lalyla 3G form. Fits nicely in with warm audio Mic pre.

Also like this  Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge (Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 PCIe Card Component) $98. or $59 for a lesser Gigabyte model.

Not available yet at Sweetwater where I can buy with nio interest, Hmmm! 

The Quantum 2626 is brand-spanking new, so might be a couple weeks until it starts to show up.  I have a Sweetwater alert, to let me know when one comes into stock.

Bob Bone

54 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

The Quantum 2626 is brand-spanking new, so might be a couple weeks until it starts to show up.  I have a Sweetwater alert, to let me know when one comes into stock.

Bob Bone

I also have set up the alert from Sweetwater. But today I will try out my Roland Octacapture just to see how it performs....................

I have decided that I definitely want the Layla 3G out of the picture.

5 hours ago, razor7music said:

Don't know what your input requirements are, but this USB-C interface by SSL looks really interesting, and at a great price point. I have the Echo Layla 3G as well, but I know it's out of production and not supported any longer. It's only a matter of time before I'll be forced to get a new interface.

I still have a completely working Native Instruments audio interface - I got it in 2005.  It just works.  It is by no means in my gear anymore, but I could plug it in tomorrow, and it would do its job.  I believe I needed to buy it to count as a qualifying purchase for me to get Komplete 3, or to go from Komplete 3 to Komplete 4 - bit fuzzy on the details - pretty sure I was married, had a son, not too sure about anything else, but an audio interface working for 15 years - not bad.

That being said - I have had the TB3 UAD Arrow interface for a year now, and am absolutely floored by its speed, every time I use it.  I am quite sure I will feel the same about the Quantum 2626, as soon as it becomes available.

Bob Bone

5 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I also have set up the alert from Sweetwater. But today I will try out my Roland Octacapture just to see how it performs....................

I have decided that I definitely want the Layla 3G out of the picture.

MAJOR bummer!  I just went back to look at the Sweetwater page for the Quantum 2626, and noticed their Pre-Order text says it will be several MONTHS until they start to get them..... that is not so good.  To the best of my awareness, I left my UAD Arrow at a studio in Chicago, as I cannot locate it here - and since I almost certainly need to replace it, I was going to spring for the $100 difference between buying another UAD Arrow, at $499, versus getting the Quantum 2626 with the additional inputs.  If I have to wait multiple months to get a Quantum, I might have to get the UAD Arrow as a direct replacement for the one that my dumb brain dead self seems to have managed to leave behind at a recording session. (it was only there as a backup in the first place).  DOH!

Bob Bone

Just to throw in my 2 cents:  I just moved on from an Octacapture due only to GEARLUST.  Now that I have a new interface, I am realizing how good the Octacapture was.  I went with a UAD Twin, which is great, but the Octacapture actually gave me slightly better latency.  The sound quality difference is negligible at best.  

Bottom line--don't sleep on the Octacapture, it is a great interface.  Also, anyone want a really good deal on a used Octacapture?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I might have to get the UAD Arrow as a direct replacement for the one that my dumb brain dead self seems to have managed to leave behind at a recording session. (it was only there as a backup in the first place).  DOH!

Sad that the folks at the studio weren't honest enough to try and get it back to its owner.