Wooly Bully Bullying----This might have happened

Starise

We play Wooly Bully. It's not a great song but it has two things going for it  (1) our audience loves it (2) our arrangement has an extended sax solo (I'm a solo hog).

About 10 years ago when we learned it, we played it at a gig, an elderly female dancer fell down and broke her leg (Wooly Bully abuse?). 3 gigs out of the next 5 had another female fall (no more broken bones though).

We almost got to the point where we wanted to hire an exorcist for that song, but fortunately it quit after 3 falls.

Now I just abuse it by playing wild and crazy sax solos.

Notes

• Like 1

16 hours ago, craigb said:

If a 3 falls in the forest, does it make a sound? 😁

PLEASE- This is for the laymen. I'm not supposed to need to think about an answer here.

Craig can you relax? I'm getting my long distance mind meld together. You might feel a slight tingling sensation on your forehead.

I can't vouch that you'll be sane when this is over. There are some things I've been hiding.

We played "Wooly Bully" last night and nobody fell. However an extremely drunk man fell during "Honky Tonk Women" but we aren't going to stop playing that one ;)

They picked him up, set him in a chair, and about 2 beers later he was back on his feet.

They paid us to play an extra half hour, so all is well that ends well.

Bob

• Like 1

Anytime.

I have the most fun job in the world. I get on stage with my wife/best-friend who is a great singer and a good guitar and synth player. I play sax, wind synth, guitar, flute and sing to tracks that I make myself (I also play bass, drums and keys).

Then we play popular music to the yacht club / country club / resort / and retirement development crowds. They dance, sing with us, play along with our corny running gags, come up and hug us, tell us about their lives, and send tons of love our way.

Now I know I'm not playing "art music" but it's still a lot of fun. I look at the pop music I play as the 'junk food of music'. It may not be very nutritious but it sure is a lot of fun to play. It's like potato chips for the ears.

I moved into this market from the singles bars as DJs took control of the youth market and bars started paring down their entertainment budgets. An older musician said to me that once I go into the adult market, you'll never turn back. He was right. Now I'm the older musician.

Not that there isn't work involved. Every night is a one-nighter so there is a lot of gear schlepping. But people pay big money to go to the gym to lift heavy things. I have my own weights (PA speakers). We consistently have to learn new songs, but although it is time consuming and sometimes frustrating, especially since I make my own backing tracks, it's not really work. And when the track turns out well, it's a delight to play on top of it. The worst part of this job is being the "band salesman", but we've been a duo since 1985 and we have so many repeat customers, I haven't done a cold call in decades.

I'm not a wage slave to some faceless corporation. I don't take orders from anyone. I live by my good decisions and hopefully learn by my bad ones. I wake up in the morning, go to bed at night, and in between do what I want to do. In other words, I'm free.

I guess I'm livin' the dream.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1