V-Studio 20 Control Surface Installer for Cakewalk?

Neil McGrail

guys I have done it! it isn't a driver issue or reboot problem. I installed an older version of sonar (sonar x2) - I tried platinum but did not make any change. Installing sonar x2 made all the vs series and much more show up in bandlab cakewalk. I am keeping my copy of x2 on my system. Once X2 is uninstalled, this disappears from the bandlab version! I have just tried it. I am wondering if it is because when Roland dropped out, they didn't include the features on later builds such as platinum. Because people have followed the upgrade path from older versions, components from the older versions remain? Anyway...I'm happy! Thanks everyone.

image.thumb.png.ba46b7ec552cc3780273a810c4dc3e9e.png

Edited by Matthew Richards

@Matthew Richards I hadn't thought of that as I assumed the old SonarXL wouldn't install on Win10 correctly.  I'll try it as I have the original disks. 

If anyone can login to the old website and download this file I would be eternally grateful if you could send it to me...if so can you send me a message.  Since it is the 64-bit upgrade to the control surface I wonder if it will work with Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I've asked tech support for a copy also but no response yet.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013175/V-Studio-20-Control-Surface-Installer-for-Cakewalk-hosts-v1-0-0-4

41 minutes ago, Neil McGrail said:

If anyone can login to the old website and download this file I would be eternally grateful if you could send it to me.

You shouldn't need to log in to download it, do you not see the download link at the bottom of the page ?

2066736693_VS20dllink.thumb.JPG.5a8b295a23b41c678689a76277bc36a7.JPG

If you don't see it, let me know and I can download it for you.

Just to close the loop on this thread;

Installing Sonar XL did not solve the problem  (I was unable to install Sonar 3 in Win 10).

Running the installer v1.0.0.4 worked like a charm for both the VS-20 Control Surface AND the embedded COSM effects within the V-Studio hardware!  

Many thanks  for the help  @chuckebaby !!! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neil McGrail said:

Just to close the loop on this thread;

Installing Sonar XL did not solve the problem  (I was unable to install Sonar 3 in Win 10).

Running the installer v1.0.0.4 worked like a charm for both the VS-20 Control Surface AND the embedded COSM effects within the V-Studio hardware!  

Many thanks  for the help  @chuckebaby !!! 

I think there was a bit of confusion there between the SONAR X series (X1, X2, X3) and the much older SONAR XL. SONAR X2 would be about the right time frame for when the VS20 was released, otherwise the separate installer would do the job. 

@chuckebaby I think you actually do need to be logged in on the site for the download links, most of us just stay logged in and don't think about it anymore. 😁

If anyone without a Cakewalk account needs a legacy installer file off the site, send me a PM and I can provide a link. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

@chuckebaby I think you actually do need to be logged in on the site for the download links, most of us just stay logged in and don't think about it anymore.

You are absolutely right. I never noticed that before because I'm always logged in. 

The OP and I talked through PM a couple days ago and I downloaded the installer and sent it to him. 

Edited by chuckebaby
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Drivers for the V Studio 20 can be found here: https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_product/v-studio_20/updates_drivers/

How to hack the Windows 8 driver to work in Windows 10 http://forum.cakewalk.com/How-to-use-V700-win-8-driver-in-win-10-also-applies-to-some-other-Roland-drivers-m3206046.aspx

I'm using mine with Cakewalk by Bandlab on a Windows 10 laptop, and it works great.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/11/2020 at 4:34 PM, Matthew Richards said:

image.png.201335fc5457b109e9dde13232de0987.png

these are the only options showing (my instal of Sonar has no previous versions, just a clean instal of Bandlab Cakewalk)

I too have been through this process, successfully installed the drivers after using the mod however don't/can't access the download for the surface controller installation. would it be possible to pm my email to receive the drivers? Seems mad that they don't have anywhere to support it.

On 5/14/2022 at 9:24 AM, bitsofbobs said:

would it be possible to pm my email to receive the drivers? Seems mad that they don't have anywhere to support it.

Did you see this in Jon's post:

On 1/17/2020 at 10:08 AM, Jonathan Sasor said:

If anyone without a Cakewalk account needs a legacy installer file off the site, send me a PM and I can provide a link. 

I would send a PM to Jon and he will get you fixed up.